bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 05:33 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
Tekin ???
HW Xerun ???

SP V3 better for long outdoor tracks. You will want the 30-40* timing board ideally. The SP MMM motor with the same board has the feeling of massive rip, and feels great on carpet. Might not be so hot if you don't have a lot of traction

Trinity D3.5 21.5 is not like the 17.5. Not very fast. I have not seen a real fast one yet.

Novak Ballistic 21.5 is actually a good F1 motor, not a crazy bottom end and not a crazy top end, pretty balanced, but fast. The old SS motors are very similar. The Vulcan 21.5 motors I have watched at the track so far are crazy fast. We had a guy using them at the Scale Nats and his GT car was ripping fast all weekend.

Thunder power definitely fast but you have to gear it a little different. When I tried one I had to go up a few teeth vs. a Novak.

Have not tried the Shuurspeed, but I heard good reports.

The older Reedy is also a motor I hear a lot of good things about. I picked up a Sonic Mach 2 based on that, and I have only run it a couple times, but it seems good as anything so far.
Sorry for the lack of detail with the initial post folks, but I was on my smartphone at work and it's difficult to write/post with.

I'll be running Blinky 21.5 touring on a small, low-traction carpet track, and possibly on asphalt, which is a large ex-nitro track.

I'm coming back from a 5 year layoff, so initially I'll be getting back up to speed . Australia has made 21.5 a sanctioned class in 2014, it will be run at the State and National level: my goal is to place on the podium at the State level, and qualify in the A-main at the National level.

The Tekin is the Tekin Redline Gen2, the Sp is the Speed Passion Competition Motor Ver.3, and the Hobbywing is this one Hobbywing Xerun 21.5

I've got these three motors in mind, as they meet my current budget requirements. More than likely as I get better during the year, and my racing budget fills back up, I'll be looking for a better quality/more expensive motor which have been mentioned in the thread.

Edit: After having a more detailed look around RCmart, if I decided not to grab Subway this week, I could also consider the LRP X12 and X20, the ORCA TX, and the REEDY Sonic Mach 2.

So, tweaking the question slightly, which motor would be best suited for the smaller carpet track, and which one for the larger asphalt track?

If you don't have clean bearings, good transmission and a perfect car, trust me when I say this...someone else does.

Last edited by Dan the Man; 08-09-2013 at 05:42 PM. Reason: EDIT: new info.
Dan the Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:20 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Get on the roar forum and check out the build quality of each motor. I will tell u that u do not want the xerun 21.5 it doesn't have adjustable timing and it is set to actual 0deg.
jlfx car audio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:48 PM   #19
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
Tekin ???
HW Xerun ???

SP V3 better for long outdoor tracks. You will want the 30-40* timing board ideally. The SP MMM motor with the same board has the feeling of massive rip, and feels great on carpet. Might not be so hot if you don't have a lot of traction

Trinity D3.5 21.5 is not like the 17.5. Not very fast. I have not seen a real fast one yet.

Novak Ballistic 21.5 is actually a good F1 motor, not a crazy bottom end and not a crazy top end, pretty balanced, but fast. The old SS motors are very similar. The Vulcan 21.5 motors I have watched at the track so far are crazy fast. We had a guy using them at the Scale Nats and his GT car was ripping fast all weekend.

Thunder power definitely fast but you have to gear it a little different. When I tried one I had to go up a few teeth vs. a Novak.

Have not tried the Shuurspeed, but I heard good reports.

The older Reedy is also a motor I hear a lot of good things about. I picked up a Sonic Mach 2 based on that, and I have only run it a couple times, but it seems good as anything so far.
I just got the sonic Mach 2 for my f104 v2, how did you set yours up, timing and gearing, for rubber tires.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:49 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlfx car audio View Post
Get on the roar forum and check out the build quality of each motor. I will tell u that u do not want the xerun 21.5 it doesn't have adjustable timing and it is set to actual 0deg.
Actually the Hobbywing motor has 22 degrees of timing on it, not brushless motor is set to true zero as it would not know which way to turn on start up.

I used to use the Hobbywing motor here where I race and I had good success with it, the motor has a lot of torque and you can run very high roll outs of around 68-70 mm. Sure it may not keep up with Reedy's, Orions & other adjustable timing motors, but for someone starting out or getting back into racing it is a very smooth and dependable motor.

If the OP is on a tight budget, I'd recommend this combo to them http://www.walterrchobby.com.au/inde...v-3-21-5r.html
For $80AU you get both a ROAR legal esc & motor along with the programming box which acts as a pc interface between the esc & computer.

Cheers
Rob.
Old 08-10-2013, 01:17 AM   #21
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

whats wrong with the Tekin? Ive been considering that as well for F1.
RC10 original, RC10 graphite, RC10 4wd MIP SP1 version, RC10T
Associated TC4
RonF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 02:13 AM   #22
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I will say on a design stand point the shuur speed end bell is weakly designed . don't like all the cuts in it around the 3 mounting screws... If their was a bad wreck it would kill that end bell (pinion side ) .
I guess in terms of design I'm really liming the thunder power .
The Vulcan sensor pickups r 1.5mm from rotor! Anyone I have ever talked motor tech with has told be to get it as close a possible without touching . only way to get rotor any closer would be to machine the lip down and stack shims on opposite end ...
And the Novak rotor isn't balanced like the others either .
Hope it still preforms well being the underdog in my opinion
jlfx car audio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 03:34 AM   #23
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta04evah View Post
If the OP is on a tight budget, I'd recommend this combo to them http://www.walterrchobby.com.au/inde...v-3-21-5r.html
For $80AU you get both a ROAR legal esc & motor along with the programming box which acts as a pc interface between the esc & computer.

Cheers
Rob.
Thanks for that Rob, I am also actually looking for an Blinky ESC as well, so I think we have a winner with this package.

I will still be buying other 21.5 motors to test and run with, so please keep those suggestions/opinions coming

If you don't have clean bearings, good transmission and a perfect car, trust me when I say this...someone else does.
Old 08-10-2013, 04:13 AM   #24
Tech Fanatic

I ran a Shur Speed and a D3.5 last weekend. I ran faster lap times with the D3.5 but for the 15 min. main I put in the Shur speed because of amp draw. On my dyno (Fantom) the end amps were considerably higher for the d3.5 when the timing was set to the same value. The Shur speed appears to have a true "0" and I run it at 40. The D3.5 has a 30 deg board so I set that motor 10 to test it. I also tested the D3.5 with different strength rotors just to see which was the best.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:16 AM   #25
Tech Master

If you are on a budget and don't care about ROAR approvals look at the turnigy trackstar silver motors. heard a lot of great things about this motor. unfortunately I haven't been able to run one yet but a lot of people love them.

out of the motors I have run (Novak ballistic, Novak ss, revtec, d3.5, reedy sonic) I like the sonic and d3.5 then the revtec then the Novaks. all are good motors though.
Serpent S120 13.5
6376vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:33 AM   #26
Tech Champion

If you're going to use opinions in 21.5 make sure you're using the smaller ospur gears too.
Australian 12th Scale hastag: #EP12AU
Radio Active is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 10:31 AM   #27
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I race gt 21.5 every week and have raced a track star 21.5 Tekin 21.5 and a Reedy Sonic Mach 2. I have my a$$ handed too me every week by Revtech D3. Also have seen a fast Thunder Power. Out of yhe 3 motors I have run the Tekin runs the best but it was a tenth off last on fast time and .5 off on average speed.
I am interest if someone has tried a Orion Vortex 21.5. These motors in 17.5 are very fast.

http://localrcracing.freeforums.org/
HobbyTown Fresno, Ca. McAllister Racing, Visa/MasterCard's
vivo quevas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 01:36 PM   #28
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Active View Post
If you're going to use opinions in 21.5 make sure you're using the smaller ospur gears too.

Old 08-11-2013, 02:10 AM   #29
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan the Man View Post
Thanks for that Rob, I am also actually looking for an Blinky ESC as well, so I think we have a winner with this package.

I will still be buying other 21.5 motors to test and run with, so please keep those suggestions/opinions coming
If you can find one, the V1 of the Reedy Sonics (plastic endbell) are a great performer, the newer ones though don't seem as good and run hotter than the older ones.
Team Orion motors are quick too, the newest ones have 2 sensor lead sockets, that gives you an option of connecting it to what way is best due to a cars configuration goes.
The new Hobbywing motors may be good too, they're currently awaiting for ROAR approval which should be done some time soon.

The main thing is to experiment with gearing for motors as some have a more narrow "sweet spot" than others, and keep them cool with a couple of good quality fans.

Cheers
Rob.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:49 AM   #30
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Dan,

Im running an orca, and its got awesome top end, everyone is comments and have had people come and check my car out to see why its so fast. im on the brink though as temps are reaching 75deg

my spare car has a team orion vst pro, not bad but it has weird mounting holes so I don't like it.

my team mate runs an old lrp vector, runs cool but not as quick.

Nathan and chris both run reedys and they are doing alright at 3.8 fdr and 25 degree timing there motors are only reaching 60 degrees.

next I think im going to try the muchmore motor my hobby shop is getting them in next week so im keen to buy and try one.

ive got a speedpassion 17.5 mmm and I found it to be a bit slow on the top end.

all in all I think you should save and get a better motor as competition at precc is pretty tough!
jonston is offline   Reply With Quote