R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-19-2001, 09:51 AM   #61
Tech Apprentice

I've only owned a Hudy and I can tell you there is no thought in my mind about changing brands. The lathe cuts like a dream - what else could you ask for?
RacerTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2001, 09:17 PM   #62
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to blue 3:16 Send a message via AIM to blue 3:16

newracer: How much did u pay for the Orion lathe? I'm interested in getting one since it already comes w/ a carbide bit and slave motor. Thanks
blue 3:16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2001, 09:26 PM   #63
dtm
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to dtm

Quote:
Originally posted by blue 3:16
newracer: How much did u pay for the Orion lathe? I'm interested in getting one since it already comes w/ a carbide bit and slave motor. Thanks
The Hudy lathe also comes with a slave motor...... it even has an on/off switch and a hard plastic storage case.... I'm not sure if Orion gives you the on/off switch.... I know they didn't in the earlier batches!
dtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2001, 01:59 AM   #64
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

I paid $130 for my Orion lathe, it came with a slave motor (27T sealed endbell bushing mod with 0 degres timing), wiring, on/off switch, carbide cutter, o-ring. It how ever didn't come with any instructions, I was able to figure it out though. You have to wire up the motor and switch and I had to adjust the slide on the base to get a smooth cut.
newracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2001, 03:53 AM   #65
Tech Adept

Send a message via ICQ to blue 3:16 Send a message via AIM to blue 3:16

newracer: thanks for the info, the one my LHS carries has the instructions.

dtm: how much is the Hudy and what model?
blue 3:16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2001, 07:31 AM   #66
dtm
Tech Champion

newracer- $130 is a real good price for the Orion!

Blue- The Hudy is the "Advanced" comm lathe with V blocks. It's around USD $115-120 without the diamond bit! But that is Hong Kong price
Old 10-21-2001, 10:31 AM   #67
Tech Elite

Hi,
I am thinking of getting a lathe.
My question is , will a stock motor lathe cuts as well for modified?
Does the eagle lathe cuts well?
Please help....
Nipple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2001, 10:48 AM   #68
dtm
Tech Champion

A stock lathe cuts the comm without having to remove the armature. As I understand it can be a messy business.

There should be no real difference in terms of the cut quality between the two lathes. To cut any motor on a stock lathe you have to remove the brush holders from the motor. This is not always a good thing because you can screw up the brush alignment and you can strip the screws holding the holders on. I would go for the modified lathe.
Old 10-21-2001, 10:50 AM   #69
dtm
Tech Champion

One last thing. All lathes will cut the comm well if you use a good cutter. The quality very much comes from the condition of the cutting tool that you use. However, any lathe can produce a bad cut if the guides are set incorrectly!
Old 10-21-2001, 10:51 AM   #70
Tech Adept

A stock motor lathe is used primarily used for cutting coms of motors with non removable end bells. A mod motor lathe can cut armatures of motors that can be removed from the motor can. This is the better method of cutting armatures.
dcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2001, 10:02 PM   #71
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to wolfeman09 Send a message via Yahoo to wolfeman09

dcracer is correct. If you are running a rebuildable stock motor or a mod motor, you puchase the mod lathe. Do not purchase the Stock lathe unless you dont plan on buying any new stock motors. all new stock motors are rebuildable.

Well i just used my cobra lathe for the first time and man is this thing awesome. One of the advantages of this lathe is the powerbase. The powerbase is an area for you to store you 4 cell pack. it goes underneath the lath and it attaches to it as well. All i have to do is pull out the lathe and turn it on, no need to find my for cell and hook up the batteries. If you can, i do not know if other lathes have this future, but it is well work it. Everything is in one neat little package. The cut is awesome as well.

One questions for everyone, what kind of oil, if any do you put on the com before you cut it. And with the diamond bit, how do you clean it? I cut a few comms and i did not want to touch it, so i just blew on it to get the extra stuff off.
wolfeman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2001, 10:32 PM   #72
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by wolfeman09
One questions for everyone, what kind of oil, if any do you put on the com before you cut it. And with the diamond bit, how do you clean it? I cut a few comms and i did not want to touch it, so i just blew on it to get the extra stuff off.
If you use a Sharpie pen to blacken the surface of the comm before you cut that will usually be lubrication enough if you only need a light pass or two. IF the arm has a lot of runs on it and will need a bunch of passes on the lathe I'll apply a little 3 in 1.

I use a super soft cosmetics brush that I nabbed from the wife to clean the copper particles off the lathe when I'm putting it away.

Trips
Old 10-22-2001, 09:19 AM   #73
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Aside from whatever lubrication the sharpie marker provides, I don't use any lubrication.

As for cleaning, I just use a light brush to clean the lathe up.
Old 10-23-2001, 09:39 PM   #74
Tech Apprentice

what do u guys think of the xipp lathe .. i'm looking to get one
MonSoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 04:36 AM   #75
Tech Apprentice

What does everyone think of the Orion Motor Lathe? I have an old school Twister now and looking to upgrade without breaking the bank.
nitrorcfan is offline   Reply With Quote