R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-06-2013, 05:47 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default TT01 info?

so pretty much i bought a TT01 brand new real cheap, its a kit, but tamiya are not the best for posting info on there site, so can anyone tell me about them? i have a Tamiya 58323 BMW Schnitzer M3 Evo TT 01 and basically im wondering is this a good car for my first 1:10? i currently have a hpi wr8 flux, and also im wondering what speed this tt 01 can do, and what battery would be best for atleast a 25 minute run and a decent speed?

any info helps on this as it is my first touring car/1/10 on road

also, can i get drift tires for this or is it like my hpi wr8 flux where its basically impossible to get anything other than the stock hpi tires?
MrShinyPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:43 AM   #2
Tech Initiate

I'm sure there are people more versed than me, and there has to be a TT01 thread SOMEWHERE- but I'll tell you what I know. Drift tires are super easy to do for this chassis. A lot of the first time drifters start out with this rig. I did. Battery all comes down to what ESC you're using. You'll grenade a stock tamiya ESC pretty quickly over a standard 7.2 stick. IE, you could throw a 3s lipo at it, but you're letting the magic smoke out pretty much ASAP. I forget what the stock motor is in those, I just remember it being kind of a dog. Not a huge deal when you're talking drifting, but if you want to race it- you're gonna get smoked. The problem you run into after that is- the TT01 is pretty stout chassis wise- but the diffs and driveshaft and CVDs aren't designed to handle a good brushless setup, you're gonna cook parts left and right. If you're just looking to screw around/bash/drift, the TT01 is an excellent platform. I think I had...4 of them at one point? Kept buying cheap rollers for parts. In any event, I really liked it, unfortunately it's sort of a beginner level car and won't keep you competetive in the long run.
mndsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:18 PM   #3
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

MNDSM, you did pretty well for not being well versed !!
been around tamiya for a long while and all I can say is that the TT01 is a great chassis......for what it is and what it offers. That being a good ,strong platform for a RTR or kit beginner platform. To make it more competitive and able to handle more power beyond the kit can motor you'll have to throw some money at it. That's where it gets tricky. By the time you've thrown a bunch of parts into it you've invested as much as it would have taken to buy a more competitive, stronger, chassis like the TA05, TB02, TA06 or many other great cars from the used market.
As for running ANY rc car for 25 minutes at a time....that takes the right gearing so you don't smoke parts and electronics AND stout enough parts to take that kind of running. A stock TT01 will never make it. Things like the plastic driveshaft, plastic dogbones and bevel diffs have to go. Bearings are a must also. The top speed will always be an issue with the TT01 due to gear ratio restrictions because of the stock motor mount.
If you're primarily looking to drift, it's still going to take some investment. You'll be running at higher rpm most of the time. That just means stress on the drivetrain.
It can be done but there's a bunch of good cars out there that can do a better job for less money.
rctrackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:21 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic

The TT01 is the perfect beginners car, cheap to buy, cheap to run and virtually indestructible. We hire out r/c cars at 1:1 car shows and run a fleet of TT01s all day with a cheap brushless system in them, they run continually for 8-10 hours a day in the hands of novices who hit everything in sight, only stopping for battery changes. The only change was to fit ballraces instead of the plastic bushings.

The replies above are all about racing, and all about making them go much faster. Just run it as standard with the kit 540 to start with, it will still manage 20mph which is fast enough to begin with and getting half an hour out of it would be no problem with a battery of 4000mh or above. If you want to go faster, before upgrading the motor replace the propshaft with an alloy upgrade one, they are available from Tamiya, 3Racing, GPM, Topcad, etc., there are a whole load of manufacturers making upgrade parts for the TT01, although most of them make absolutely no difference to performance.

Tamiya made the 12mm hex the standard wheel fitment in touring cars, and every manufacturer has copied this. Choose any touring car or drift car wheel and it will fit straight on.

You can find links to the manual and the part numbers for the spares and hop ups when you need them on TamiyaUSAs page on the BMW.
terry.sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:54 PM   #5
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rctrackman View Post
MNDSM, you did pretty well for not being well versed !!
been around tamiya for a long while and all I can say is that the TT01 is a great chassis......for what it is and what it offers. That being a good ,strong platform for a RTR or kit beginner platform. To make it more competitive and able to handle more power beyond the kit can motor you'll have to throw some money at it. That's where it gets tricky. By the time you've thrown a bunch of parts into it you've invested as much as it would have taken to buy a more competitive, stronger, chassis like the TA05, TB02, TA06 or many other great cars from the used market.
As for running ANY rc car for 25 minutes at a time....that takes the right gearing so you don't smoke parts and electronics AND stout enough parts to take that kind of running. A stock TT01 will never make it. Things like the plastic driveshaft, plastic dogbones and bevel diffs have to go. Bearings are a must also. The top speed will always be an issue with the TT01 due to gear ratio restrictions because of the stock motor mount.
If you're primarily looking to drift, it's still going to take some investment. You'll be running at higher rpm most of the time. That just means stress on the drivetrain.
It can be done but there's a bunch of good cars out there that can do a better job for less money.

Thanks- I had to learn the hard way. All the local drifters run belt cars, and that makes no sense to me- so I had to blaze my own trail in the shafties. TT01D showed me the way.
mndsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:56 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to valk Send a message via AIM to valk Send a message via MSN to valk

I know a lot of people will sing the praises of this car. i have a friend that has one and it was O_K as a first car to put together and run. handling was adequate for the few times he raced in in stock tc but the car needs a TON of upgrades and other than getting a body/ tires/esc motor ect for an almost ready to run basher, there are a lot of other cars out there that can be had for the same money that would be better cars. keeping to tamiya, you have the option of the xv01 at $199 that has much of the same in box stuff as the tt01. so unless you got it for like.. $50.. I wouldnt put money into it.

you say you have a WR8. id just play with that if it was me. Set it up for the road and you can drift that thing CRAZY good.

would be between the xv01 and sakura d3 for me, but im not a drift fan. xv01 looks to be the ultimate basher capable of almost anything.
www.irocc.ca - www.wcics.ca - www.vrcworld.com - http://proampsrc.com/ - www.teamassociated.com
valk is offline   Reply With Quote