Like Tree1Likes

Tamiya TB04 Pro

Old 07-25-2014, 07:23 AM
  #796  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Valencia, CA
Posts: 376
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by TB03Racer09 View Post
I'm using the hobbywing xerun v10 motor with the exotek motor adaptor on my tb04. My motor also has that 'dimple' if you look at the picture but I'm still able to get the pinion and spur to mesh perfectly without any problems. However, I'm using no shim and I use robinison racing 52/73t 64p gears

I have a hobbywing too. the dimple on the LRP X20 are longer. I am using a CRC 52T 64 P and RW 70T 64P Spur. My buddy actually suggested to try a different motor. Too bad..I really wanted to try the LRP for TCS
fx35rc is offline  
Old 07-25-2014, 10:40 AM
  #797  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (78)
 
Raman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 4,252
Trader Rating: 78 (100%+)
Default

RCMarket will be shipping mine next week.

Any issues with the diff leaking?
Raman is offline  
Old 07-25-2014, 12:40 PM
  #798  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (22)
 
CraigMBA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Valley of the Dirt, CA
Posts: 2,832
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by fx35rc View Post
Hi CraigMBA,

Yes it is as close to the motor as possible. I think when I tighten it the exotek spacer slip and move up a little bit. Causing the shim to hit th pinion. If I loosen up 1/10 turn it doesn't hit. Did I overtighten it?

Without the spacer/shim only half of the pinion and spur line up. Little contact

I am using a CRC 52T pinion. should I use a different brand pinion?


Thanks
Danny
Danny,

No, I used a CRC also. My problem was getting the pinion close enough to the can. I lined up and worked, but it wasn't perfect. I think the way I fixed it was switch to a narrower spur.
CraigMBA is offline  
Old 07-25-2014, 01:40 PM
  #799  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Valencia, CA
Posts: 376
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by CraigMBA View Post
Danny,

No, I used a CRC also. My problem was getting the pinion close enough to the can. I lined up and worked, but it wasn't perfect. I think the way I fixed it was switch to a narrower spur.
Hi Craig,

I used a 21.5 LRP X20 motor...I used 2 other brands and it lines up. In fact on a turnigy track star i had to mount it a little bit away from the can to line up.

Thanks
Danny
fx35rc is offline  
Old 07-25-2014, 04:55 PM
  #800  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (1)
 
TB03Racer09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 427
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Raman View Post
RCMarket will be shipping mine next week.

Any issues with the diff leaking?
Diffs are looking pretty good, although I haven't checked them in a while due to them being inside a fully sealed bulkhead and all
TB03Racer09 is offline  
Old 07-25-2014, 07:49 PM
  #801  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (22)
 
CraigMBA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Valley of the Dirt, CA
Posts: 2,832
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by fx35rc View Post
Hi Craig,

I used a 21.5 LRP X20 motor...I used 2 other brands and it lines up. In fact on a turnigy track star i had to mount it a little bit away from the can to line up.

Thanks
Danny
I used a Rwurks motor when I had the problem.
CraigMBA is offline  
Old 07-26-2014, 02:35 PM
  #802  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Valencia, CA
Posts: 376
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by CraigMBA View Post
I used a Rwurks motor when I had the problem.
Thanks for the heads up Craig. I almost purchased an R1 wurkz..
fx35rc is offline  
Old 07-27-2014, 02:15 AM
  #803  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (1)
 
TB03Racer09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 427
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

In the front and rear gearboxes, I moved all the shims to the side without the ring gear and its so much smoother!

Anyway, I had this crazy idea of buying the parts that will convert my tb04 into a tb03 so that I can find out which one is better.

Tamiya (#54053) TB-03 Aluminum Propeller Joint Set (R)
Tamiya (#54099) TB-03 Carbon Reinforced K Parts (Stiffener)
Tamiya (#54147) TB-03 Carbon Reinforced Chassis
Tamiya (#54150) TB-03 Aluminum Motor Mount
Tamiya (#54249) 3X32mm Alum. Turnbuckle Shaft
Tamiya (#53601) Low Friction 5mm Adjuster
Yeah Racing (#SC-A310) Cap Screw 3x10 mm
3-Racing TB03 Titanium Screw Set

Does anyone know if the tb04 prop shaft works on the tb03?

Will cost $120, however as you can see its all the hop up versions of the parts. Have I missed anything? My biggest complaint is that I might have to dremel a bit of the battery tray to get a brick lipo to fit and I value a neat, tidy car alot!
TB03Racer09 is offline  
Old 07-27-2014, 11:01 AM
  #804  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (22)
 
CraigMBA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Valley of the Dirt, CA
Posts: 2,832
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by TB03Racer09 View Post
In the front and rear gearboxes, I moved all the shims to the side without the ring gear and its so much smoother!

Anyway, I had this crazy idea of buying the parts that will convert my tb04 into a tb03 so that I can find out which one is better.

Tamiya (#54053) TB-03 Aluminum Propeller Joint Set (R)
Tamiya (#54099) TB-03 Carbon Reinforced K Parts (Stiffener)
Tamiya (#54147) TB-03 Carbon Reinforced Chassis
Tamiya (#54150) TB-03 Aluminum Motor Mount
Tamiya (#54249) 3X32mm Alum. Turnbuckle Shaft
Tamiya (#53601) Low Friction 5mm Adjuster
Yeah Racing (#SC-A310) Cap Screw 3x10 mm
3-Racing TB03 Titanium Screw Set

Does anyone know if the tb04 prop shaft works on the tb03?

Will cost $120, however as you can see its all the hop up versions of the parts. Have I missed anything? My biggest complaint is that I might have to dremel a bit of the battery tray to get a brick lipo to fit and I value a neat, tidy car alot!
The tb04 drive shaft won't work, correct. You need prop shaft 54052 also.

If you dremel the outside set of ribs off, the battery fits in perfect.
CraigMBA is offline  
Old 07-27-2014, 03:57 PM
  #805  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (1)
 
TB03Racer09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 427
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

I guess that raises the conversion cost to $140. As trivial as it sounds, hacking the battery tray is enough to stop me from considering the conversion, I dont want to buy new lipos either.

Im pretty happy with how smooth my tb04 is so im going to leave it as it is.
TB03Racer09 is offline  
Old 07-27-2014, 05:48 PM
  #806  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (22)
 
CraigMBA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Valley of the Dirt, CA
Posts: 2,832
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

It's not a hack, it's an upgrade. I did three of mine on the mill. The last one I did with the dremel in about sixty seconds.

My TCS winning car from last year got nothing milled on it, I glued left over plastic suspension spacers on the chassis to center a square lipo in the hole. All of them are equally sano with the battery installed.
CraigMBA is offline  
Old 07-27-2014, 06:08 PM
  #807  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (1)
 
TB03Racer09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 427
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Handling wise, how do the the tb03 and tb04 compare?
TB03Racer09 is offline  
Old 07-27-2014, 11:47 PM
  #808  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (22)
 
CraigMBA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Valley of the Dirt, CA
Posts: 2,832
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

The tb04 had more steering, I assume from the Ackerman from the steering linkage. The TB03 has a simpler driveline.

hey Tamiya! Make a TB03 v2, with 418 style steering, split suspension mounts, and a flat chassis! Please?
CraigMBA is offline  
Old 07-28-2014, 12:41 AM
  #809  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (1)
 
TB03Racer09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 427
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by CraigMBA View Post
The tb04 had more steering, I assume from the Ackerman from the steering linkage. The TB03 has a simpler driveline.

hey Tamiya! Make a TB03 v2, with 418 style steering, split suspension mounts, and a flat chassis! Please?
I really like the amount of steering my tb04 has, I don't think I want to give it up for a slightly quieter drivetrain

I don't think they would make a flat chassis, it seems that the TA and TB chassis are destined to always be a tub. I think a longitudinal motor mount conversion kit for the tb04 will be a good idea, all is needed is new low deck, motor mount and some center transmission bits. Would be a great tuning aid for tb04 owners.
TB03Racer09 is offline  
Old 07-28-2014, 01:08 AM
  #810  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (22)
 
CraigMBA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Valley of the Dirt, CA
Posts: 2,832
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by TB03Racer09 View Post
I really like the amount of steering my tb04 has, I don't think I want to give it up for a slightly quieter drivetrain

I don't think they would make a flat chassis, it seems that the TA and TB chassis are destined to always be a tub. I think a longitudinal motor mount conversion kit for the tb04 will be a good idea, all is needed is new low deck, motor mount and some center transmission bits. Would be a great tuning aid for tb04 owners.
Just flat where the battery goes!
CraigMBA is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.