R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-02-2013, 11:16 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Spec R S1 vs 3 Racing Sakura XI Sport

Hey everyone

I'm looking for a direct comparison between the 3 Racing XI Sport and the Spec R S1 Sport. I have a Tamiya Ta06 /Rsector Conversion and I'm looking for a backup/spare car roller for around $120. I think the spec r looks nicer visually but the xi sport has much better part support and cheaper replacements (a safe option).

So yeah, I would like to know your experiences with either car
TB03Racer09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 12:25 AM   #2
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB03Racer09 View Post
Hey everyone

I'm looking for a direct comparison between the 3 Racing XI Sport and the Spec R S1 Sport. I have a Tamiya Ta06 /Rsector Conversion and I'm looking for a backup/spare car roller for around $120. I think the spec r looks nicer visually but the xi sport has much better part support and cheaper replacements (a safe option).

So yeah, I would like to know your experiences with either car
Parts support is about equal between the two, 6 day out of Honkers on slow post for both.

I have an S1, a couple of guys i race with have XI and XI Sports, the cars are very similar no real differences, perhaps the S1 and XI Sports are a little more durable over the XI.

Which way you go really depends on factors other than the chassis, as there is very little in it. Even price of spares are very similar, which leaves local support, if you got it, and it is important to you, go that way.
RogerDaShrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:36 AM   #3
Tech Master

No complaints about the sakura line of cars. My son and I have run sakuras for almost 3 years now. very durable, cheap parts, easy to get parts, easy and cheap to upgrade and very competitive against anything. No experience with the s1. No one around here races one so I can't comment on the s1.
Serpent S120 13.5
6376vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:04 AM   #4
Dan
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Plastics seem a bit better on the S1, but thats just my opinion.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:52 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Wow, funny that I was wondering the same thing, googled it, and bam here's this thread posted today! I was leaning toward the XI due to parts being carried by two large companies over here "tqrcracing, and integy" but I'v always liked the S1...
Flipside6900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:04 PM   #6
Tech Regular

flipside: I googled it to multiple times and didn't find anything and I thought there has to be others who will be asking this question so I made the thread.

From what I gather here, they are both about the same, it really depends on local parts support and if you prefer red or pink.

Keep posting opinions and experiences, would like to here what weaknesses there are on each chassis if any
Old 08-03-2013, 09:04 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I don't own a XI myself but I do have 2 Sakura Zero's, and am more than happy with them for performance & prices of parts etc.
I am however considering getting the XI sport as some things from the Zero will drop in and the price is very attractive.

For an out of the box car I think the XI sport will be a competitive car in any spec class racing, ie 21.5 , VTA etc without having to spend too much more for upgrades.

Cheers
Rob.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:57 AM   #8
Tech Regular

for the spec r people, what parts are shared with the xray?
Old 08-08-2013, 02:02 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Spec-R S1 of course! On the S1 you have more adjustability (changing toe by inserts) and you can use fibre tape if you want. The sakura won't let you do that.

Honestly the XI Sport is old tech compared to the S1. Happy shopping!
cheapskate.brok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:09 AM   #10
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapskate.brok View Post
Spec-R S1 of course! On the S1 you have more adjustability (changing toe by inserts) and you can use fibre tape if you want. The sakura won't let you do that.

The Xi sports is not old technology, it is new and it is almost identical to the Spec-r. The Xi sports is not based off the old Sakura Xi, it is an entirely new platform.

Quote:
for the spec r people, what parts are shared with the xray?
I have a Spec-r, and TBH i do not know, I have never broken anything on the car and had to chase parts from the Xray drivers at my club.
RogerDaShrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:28 AM   #11
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapskate.brok View Post

Unless Spec-R changed the S1 recently, it does not come with toe inserts, those are only part of the 2.5x more expensive R1 kit and the even more expensive R1 Pro. A complete set of mounts, inserts and suspension balls for your S1 will set you back $45 excl. shipping.

Calling the XI Sport "old tech" is just silly.
bakoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:41 AM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakoo View Post
Unless Spec-R changed the S1 recently, it does not come with toe inserts, those are only part of the 2.5x more expensive R1 kit and the even more expensive R1 Pro. A complete set of mounts, inserts and suspension balls for your S1 will set you back $45 excl. shipping.

well I'd spend that $45 happily 'Fixed' toe blocks aren't my cup of tea and they are expensive
cheapskate.brok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 02:16 PM   #13
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Well I went with the Xi like I was planning due to parts support... Then once I get the car and realize that the front toe block, c hubs, knuckles, arms all the way around, rear hubs and a few other parts are new and no body has them in stock state side yet My plan bit me in the ass. Really nice car so far, easy build, with about 10 batteries through it the rear diff leaks a decent amount so thats gotta go, seems pretty durable so far though.
Flipside6900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 03:21 PM   #14
Tech Initiate

Like any sealed gear diff, you have to build it right, which means using some kind of grease to seal it up. I like using Team Associated Green Slime grease the best. All the O-rings get coated in grease, as well as the inside spacer shims, and the gasket seal, all gets coated in a nice sticky grease.

3racing even has an article on their website (link is below), on how to properly "build" their gear diff (but those instructions are exactly how you should build any brand of gear diff). Even though they use a silver grease called "anti wear" grease, Team Associated "Green Slime" grease, I find, seals a diff better and lasts longer without leaking, and can be substituted instead of the "anti wear" grease they suggest.

http://os.3racing.hk/articles.php?articles_key=133

If you are like me, and don't like buying Team Associated "Green Slime" grease in the tiny little tubes, you can buy a jar of the same stuff called "Noleen SF3" for $8.19 including shipping ($4.95 + $3.24 shipping) at the following link: http://shop.noleenj6.com/product.sc?productId=8 Just remember to select "US Postal Service" and "First Class Mail" for the best priced shipping during checkout.

One jar of it will last nearly a lifetime, and it's the exact same stuff that Team Associated "repackages" as green slime in the little tubes.
drdanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:25 PM   #15
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakoo View Post

I have one of the first run kits , it came with a set of plastic rear toe blocks and a set of ant-squat and kick up shims.

The s1 is a good car , IMO it needs the aluminum steering bell crank . And in my experience the hinge pins are to hard they break where they neck down for the set screws. I replaced mine with some old yokomo ones I had laying about.
jsinclair is offline   Reply With Quote