R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-07-2014, 10:25 AM   #16
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 82
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

I am about to purchase my first kit it seems like the the Sakura XI Sport is a better buy over the older Spec-R S1?
bluem6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:23 PM   #17
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 181
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluem6 View Post
I am about to purchase my first kit it seems like the the Sakura XI Sport is a better buy over the older Spec-R S1?
More important is the parts support. So watch out for your local dealer.
I had my rollout with my S1 yesterday, and I can just say, the car was a dream to drive! A friend of mine is driving the XI which is also very fast.

So, the choice is yours
Italboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:27 PM   #18
Tech Regular
 
daveaustin5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 464
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

I'm another Spec R fan and it's a great car. I had an issue with the ball cups but since they've been replaced it's been great.

<$100 shipped from RCMart.

There's probably very little between the two cars in all honesty. Parts support (in the UK) is pretty much non-existent for both so I decided based on which I preferred the look of! The Spec R is the nicer looking car, Red>Pink!!!
daveaustin5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:38 PM   #19
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 181
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveaustin5 View Post
I'm another Spec R fan and it's a great car. I had an issue with the ball cups but since they've been replaced it's been great.

<$100 shipped from RCMart.

There's probably very little between the two cars in all honesty. Parts support (in the UK) is pretty much non-existent for both so I decided based on which I preferred the look of! The Spec R is the nicer looking car, Red>Pink!!!
Also for me the look of the Spec-R was an important point of decision.
But not to forget the performance of this car, I raced it with basic setup and was really fast! I love it and I would not change with a 500$ high end car
Italboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:59 PM   #20
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 82
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

It look like they have tons of parts at tqrcracing which is in California so I am good with that, I think. Have been pondering about the 2 car for a few days now and I am still undecided as to which one is a good choice for me...the pink color does suck though..lol but it's a newer model and hopefully all the kink with the Sakura S1 has been worked out..
bluem6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:02 PM   #21
Tech Regular
 
daveaustin5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 464
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluem6 View Post
It look like they have tons of parts at tqrcracing which is in California so I am good with that, I think. Have been pondering about the 2 car for a few days now and I am still undecided as to which one is a good choice for me...the pink color does suck though..lol but it's a newer model and hopefully all the kink with the Sakura S1 has been worked out..
Are you racing it?

If so, find out if anyone runs one at your local club. If someone else is, it's a massive benefit.

You can share setup tips and they might have spares you can borrow/buy should you break something and not have a replacement.
daveaustin5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:13 PM   #22
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 82
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveaustin5 View Post
Are you racing it?

If so, find out if anyone runs one at your local club. If someone else is, it's a massive benefit.

You can share setup tips and they might have spares you can borrow/buy should you break something and not have a replacement.
Nope, not racing it, just want a budget on road car...I was at a local hobby store and they set up a track last weekend and watch some Tamiya and they all look great so I wanted one..but can't afford those...lol.
bluem6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 05:02 PM   #23
Tech Regular
 
daveaustin5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 464
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluem6 View Post
Nope, not racing it, just want a budget on road car...I was at a local hobby store and they set up a track last weekend and watch some Tamiya and they all look great so I wanted one..but can't afford those...lol.
Set up correctly, an S1 or XI is as fast as a Tamiya 418 in all but the fastest hands. Only the pros really need expensive cars.

I find the ESC, motor and tyres make more of a difference than the chassis you're running.

If you're not racing, just go for whichever you prefer the look of!

Racing is a lot of fun though! Most clubs are very welcoming to newbies so don't feel daunted. It's hard for the first few weeks but you'll be amazed at how quickly you'll pick it up.
daveaustin5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 02:32 PM   #24
Tech Addict
 
32819toon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: North of England
Posts: 580
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveaustin5 View Post
Set up correctly, an S1 or XI is as fast as a Tamiya 418 in all but the fastest hands. Only the pros really need expensive cars.

I find the ESC, motor and tyres make more of a difference than the chassis you're running.

If you're not racing, just go for whichever you prefer the look of!

Racing is a lot of fun though! Most clubs are very welcoming to newbies so don't feel daunted. It's hard for the first few weeks but you'll be amazed at how quickly you'll pick it up.
Totally agree with Dave - Spec R S1 fan here ! My son and myself have ran one for over a year and they're great cars. They're robust and inexpensive. You don't need a top end car to be quick and to enjoy racing.
__________________
32819toon
VBC Wildfire D08, Yokomo BD7 RS, Schumacher Atom, Tamiya M03, M05 (outdoor Mini), M03RWD, MF01-X, BSR M-Rage, ABC Gambado, Associated TC4 (outdoor car).
32819toon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:52 AM   #25
sg1
Tech Elite
 
sg1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,071
Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Default

I put together an XI and ran it in USGT over the weekend.
I was impressed how well it works without adding any hop up parts!
I ran the 2 hole pistons front and rear with 40wt. in the front and 30wt. in the rear.
I changed rear shock angle during the day and added a bit more rear droop and it was a really good car to drive!
Not bad for $100.00!!
__________________
**Team Scream**Parma/PSE**TQ Wire**Roche**Pemberton**BSR**Graupner/GM**SXT**
sg1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 05:26 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net