R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-09-2005, 06:31 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Max is right on with Speedtech. Steve is a small shop geared directly to the needs of racers and is along time racer himself. What does that mean ? He understands what it means to "need it next day", accurate inventory, and what parts to carry. I shop at Steve's all the time.

I have also been to Ultimate. When it comes to Hobby Stores in the area, they are better than most when it comes to inventory. However, they are a Hobby Store. They sell crafts, models, and slot cars. Oh yeah, they sell R/C also. There are some guys who know R/C inside and out, and some that don't have a clue. Just like your local Hobby Store. I also agree with Max that they probably did the Internet thing as a quick opportuniyt. Personally, their web sucks. I have tried to find something and end up calling the store. And their person in charge of buying is an issue. The guys on the floor are always taking notes of parts customers ask for but are out of stock, but they don't do the ordering.

When you do come to So Cal again, you definetly need to come see Steve. However, if you stop in right before a TCS race, don't expect him to have much stock. Oh yeah, and bring lots of $$$. SpeedTech is a true candy store for big kids !
Old 06-09-2005, 07:33 PM   #17
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Just want to say I have always ordered my stuff through Steve Wang, and have never had any problems. He should be a model for all other hobby stores to follow, Wang is the man.
kylehirano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 07:57 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default word up

Steve at speedtech is the shizzle!

Good prices good shipping, CANADIAN friendly shipper
Old 06-09-2005, 08:39 PM   #19
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles
I belive that ultimate is outstanding. Yes, they do take a while to get to you but most of the time there with another customer you cant exspect them to drop everything to help someone else, its just like the real world you have to wait your turn. Besides most outher large hobby shops are like that. On a busy day there is only 1 employe to every5-10 people but, as far as the internet thing goes it sucks that it happened but, you sould give them a little slack at this time do to there moving and that even still the majority of the product is still being catologed i say in about 2 weeks to a month thell be back up to what they where at the old shop.
I love when new members pop up all of a sudden to come to the rescue.
sharkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 09:16 PM   #20
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Claydoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkman
I love when new members pop up all of a sudden to come to the rescue.
Funny how that happens, eh? hehe
Claydoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 09:51 PM   #21
Tech Addict

Here are my observations on Ultimate Hobbies as a 3 year customer.

In-store customer service is either hit or miss. You'll either get somebody that really wants to help you or somebody that simply doesn't care (although I think they've gotten rid of most of the rude employees). It used to be that if you looked like you had money to spend, you got the preferential treatment. I've seen them shoot the breeze with an adult customer and kinda blow off some little kid. Also, I had an employee (who I believe no longer works there) actually make fun of me - not a good business practice.

Of course, for the bad experiences, there are plenty of good experiences. I have had sales reps that have gone above and beyond, and lately it seems like more and more of the employees are this type. Other than customer service, Ultimate also has pretty much the best selection of products and quite often the lowest prices.

I've heard plenty of horror stories about ordering from them online, and I don't plan on doing any online or phone orders based on what I've heard (that, and I live about 20 minutes from the store). Right now I can understand delays though. I've been to the new location, and its huge. A large part of the inventory is still out in the warehouse, and things are still being organized. They're also somewhat understaffed right now, which will probably slow things down. I asked a guy behind the counter when he thought they would be back up and running at full force, and he told me he though by the end of July (keep in mind though that this wasn't the store owner or manager, just a guy working behind the counter, so the prediction may be off).

About the issue of the owner not seeming to care about the customer, I've noticed that Cliff isn't too great with the customers (although he did give me a free shirt last time I was there, go figure). IF you wan't good service in-store go with Craig or any of the other sales reps.
SoCalLosiRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 10:53 PM   #22
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkA
No, you should stop in – just to see that they’ll ignore you and be just as rude in person…
Ahhhh......I see Mr. Green HAS rubbed off on you after all!!!! My diabolicale plan is coming into play. Yes, you too will soon be an evil mad scientist like me. Perhaps you should drive rally cars and I will be your navagator. Excuse me, that was a left. I'll be puking on the next straight, would you roll the window down, Mr. Anton?

As the emperior has foreseen.......
Graphitedust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 02:10 AM   #23
Tech Regular

i've ordered from them before with no real problems. i did try to order a esc on-line, but i received a call the next day telling me it was out of stock. i've ordered many things from them and the free shipping over $50.00 is the best in the business i think. their prices are also one of the lowest on the internet. over the phone the people have been good to deal with and some have gone the extra yard to try and find something for me or checked into ordering it. the only thing that bothered me was that i bought a nitro on car kit from them, and then came across a sweet deal locally. i never opened their kit and was still sealed with their price tag, and they would not take it back, not even for store credit. which that was the only thing i was looking for, because i still needed a motor, pipe, receiver pack, and servoce for the car that iwas going to buy for them.
owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 09:04 AM   #24
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Shookie Send a message via MSN to Mr. Shookie

I ahve been a customer with ultimate for little over a year. I stop in every time I am visting the in-laws as they live 10 minutes from them. I found that if you go when there are a lto of people then it can be combersome. I found out that if you find someone who races or runs simular brand as you then you can get great service. Mike who knows the TC and Yokomo has alwasy been super helpful. Some of the other employees aren't as helpful. You really have to think like this. They have ten employees servicing 50-100 people in there at all times on the weekend and they are getting questions shot at them like a shotgun all the while trying to give someone else there full attention, all the while having phone calls and other employees asking them questions...Yes some of the employees can be short or even rude but they are trying. Put your self in there possition. You are at the track and you are trying to work on your car, then some really nice kid comes by ans asks you to help them solder something or asked for setup help, then right behind him is another 15year old who knows everything trying to tell you what you are doing wrong and then you notice that your race is up in five minutes and another guy is asking what traction compound is working best...Now do you see my point.
They are tring to help everyone individualy but they are just people you know.
Just trying to shead a little light and help people realize that they are under stress too. If they were to give each and every customer their 100% attention they would only service about 50 people a day, also throw on them a great big move to another location...things happen but to come on here and bash them because they didn't ship you something, they even told you that they messed up and couldn't find the kit...what more do you want from them? for them to fly to your house with there special Tamyia super TLT1000 flying carpet to deliver it in 5-6 hours. Get real this business has problems and they are trying to fix each as the accure. But they are only human.
RANT OVER
-Stephen <><
All who love the LORD JESUS I praise with you.1 Cor 10:31
Team HOLY Rollers (Team Manager)
The Church is a Hospital for Sinners not a Museum for Saints.
RcTech Feedback <>< RC Tech Subcriber #92
Mr. Shookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 11:25 AM   #25
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Shookie:

Yes, I guess I expect more from a retailer - If they screw up, then tell me timely, not 10 days later and only after I call several times. They didn't fill the order, nor bother to tell me they couldn't fill the order, until I called them after getting nothing after 10 days (it was supposed to be ground shipped, thus why I gave it 10 days to arrive). They knew full well they didn't have it/ couldn't find it 10 days ago. Yes, I expect an online sales retailer to have a website that accurately reports inventory - if they say it's in stock, and I buy it, I expect it to be delivered timely. (Other rc retailers don't seem to have a problem with this concept - check out Speedtech). Yes, I expect to get a return phone call when their automated answering system tells me to leave a message (since there was never a time when the shipping person actually answered the phone, repeated tries).

My complaint is about their online sales conduct, not the in store people being rude, so much of your comments are not germaine to my complaint. Then again, if they have 100 customers in there with only 10 employee to help, that's not good.

If this is growing pains, then fine - others shouldn't suffer and place orders with them until they get their act together again. If they are really having a temporary problem because of the move, everything is in chaos, then temporarily shut down your website ordering until you finish your move and get your inventory organized again, people trained to do the work, and then reinstate ordering. But from some of the other comments on here, it seems like their problems are a recurring theme both before and after the move. If that is the case, then others should order from then with extreme caution. If others want to go in in person and see the stuff in their hand, and purchase it, that's fine. I just can't do that from half way across the country.
minidriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 11:42 AM   #26
Tech Fanatic

If you buy from your local hobby shop you might not have this problem

See Quote
http://www.rctech.net/forum/showpost...postcount=3654
Skip109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 12:39 PM   #27
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip109
If you buy from your local hobby shop you might not have this problem

See Quote
http://www.rctech.net/forum/showpost...postcount=3654

Ok now that was funny...the icing on the cake ....but in Defense of minidriver's post maybe they don't carry the car he was trying to buy from Ultimate.

And yes at this time Ultimate kinda sucks as they don't have everything transfered to the new store yet and they aren't placing any orders for any new products untill they do.
Deves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 12:47 PM   #28
Tech Fanatic

Good one on the LHS, skipper. Actually, I had asked my LHS if they could get one for me. He tried, but couldn't get one for me (he even visited the source personally), and only then did I try the online route. Unfortunately, Tamiya warehouse is out of stock on these.
minidriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 12:57 PM   #29
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have never ordered from them, but I have called them numerous times. out of the four times I have called one person was helpful and the others seemed like I was bothering them.

I ordered from SpeedtechRC a long time ago, but I think I received the package in three days. Great service.

Sometimes it is worth to pay a little more than save a buck.
performula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 09:04 PM   #30
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by minidriver
Good one on the LHS, skipper. Actually, I had asked my LHS if they could get one for me. He tried, but couldn't get one for me (he even visited the source personally), and only then did I try the online route. Unfortunately, Tamiya warehouse is out of stock on these.
OK
Skip109 is offline   Reply With Quote