R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-22-2013, 11:55 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default Is there any reason to buy a Sakura Zero S, instead of an XI Sport?

I'm completely new to touring cars, and onroad RC. I am really starting to focus on RC as a hobby, even though I have had many many hobby grade RC's over the past 20 years. My RC skill level is very high.

I am looking to get a taste of onroad TC, and want to buy a pair of chassis for me and my dad, who is retired, and is the only RC buddy I have.

We race our offroad RC's a lot, and we always have 2 of the exact same rc vehicles, and they are always set up exactly the same, as I maintain them all myself. So we kind of do a form of "spec racing", as our RC's are always exactly the same in every way, so it's always just about the racing and competition, not so much about tuning and tweaking. Any RC upgrades happen to both vehicles, not just one.

If our RC's race like crap, it's ok, because both of ours are the same, and we still have crazy fun.

With our offroad RC's, we never race a track, just grass or dirt with orange corner cones, or a dried baseball diamond with cones. Just impromptu bash racing, and it works really well for us.

We would like to take our impromptu racing to the asphalt and parking lots with a pair of TC's.

I really like the look and price of the 3Racing sport line of TC kits. I love building kit RC's, and love the precision of belt driven carbon fiber TC's, but buying a pair of T4's or TCXX's or TC6.1's is not really an option for our entry level racing shenanigans.

I want a pair of TC's that would fit our needs, by driving halfway decent right out of the box. The Sakura Zero S, and XI Sport, both seem like they would be perfect for us. They both look great out of the box, with plenty of carbon fiber and aluminum upgrades for the future, and cheap replacement parts.

How do I choose between buying a pair of Zero S's or a pair of XI Sport's?

Is there any reason to buy a Zero S, instead of an XI Sport? The price difference between the two kits is almost nothing.

I am thinking of buying the kits at TQ RC Racing, as they are in the US, which is preferred. Is there any other good vendor of these kits in the US?

Why does TQ or RCMart, not have a regular Sakura Zero (non S) or XI-DH?

Why is the Sakura XI-DH not shown on the 3racing website?

Will I ever be able to upgrade an XI Sport, to the XI-DH chassis? Or should I stick with the regular XI carbon fiber chassis, because the 3racing website doesn't show the DH-version chassis as an option part.

You don't have to answer all of these questions, but if you could help with any of them, it would be greatly appreciated.
drdanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:06 AM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

I own both and raced them both in 17.5 touring carpet, and there both great. The XI out if the box is pretty dam good, the zero s will need some hopups to be as good as the XI is box stock, also the XI is a ton lighter then the zero. My opinion shoot for the XI you won't be disappointed, I qualified 4th and finished second in the A-main first time out with mine on a box stock setup I just laid all four shocks in one hole and that was in a A-main full of Xrays not bad if you ask me. As far as modding the XI I don't see a need to, only thing I would buy is the sway bar kits that's it, the car is strong and I don't see a need for all that pink aluminum unless you have money to burn and like pink. I buy all my stuff from tqrcracing.com there great and super fast and cheap shipping
1gdsmracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:07 AM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

http://www.integy.com/st_main.html?p...7#.Ue4cR403sml

You can get an XI-DH carbon fiber chassis from there.

The XI Sport is newer, hence the slightly higher price tag. You also mount the servo in an east-west orientation on the XI Sport, making it easier to put electronics behind it. Most (maybe all?) of the major 1/10th scale on road chassis have the servo mounted in east-west configuration these days.

You might also want to look at the Spec-R S1. It's also a very capable chassis. My brother has an R1 (just carbon fiber version of the S1) and it's a very well put together car.

The Spec-R S1 is very easy to upgrade if you were looking to do so.

Your father and you will enjoy either chassis. I'd pick between the Spec-R S1 and the 3Racing XI Sport. Can't go wrong with either of them for some parking lot fun!
Old 07-23-2013, 12:14 AM   #4
Tech Initiate

Wow, thanks for that link. I had no idea Integy's website sold factory replacement parts, even though I have used some of their hop up parts in the past.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:27 AM   #5
Tech Initiate

Wow, I didn't notice the part about the servo orientation. I seen a picture of a regular XI with the servo oriented front to back, and thought the XI Sport would be the same.

Now I view pictures of the XI-DH version, and sure enough, the servo is oriented side to side, which is a very nice feature, and really makes some extra room for the electronics, especially with a nice low profile servo.

Thanks for pointing that out, as I loved that feature when looking at other high end modern TC's.

Would this be called a "Floating" servo mount? or not quite? EDIT: I do now see it's not "floating" like the Sakura Ultimate has. There is a chassis mount on each side. I wonder if the Sakura Ultimate floating servo mount will work with the XI-DH or XI Sport when it's available.

Heh, another Edit: I see the 3Racing website now lists the floating servo mount for the Ultimate as being compatible with the XI Sport. That's awesome.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:31 AM   #6
Tech Regular

Xi sport is based on their new sakura ultimate chassi that is released soon. Look on 3racings homepage. No reason at all to buy the old sport chassi i would say.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:45 AM   #7
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I haven't ever owned a 3 racing TC, so am not qualified to offer an opinion betweenn the 2, however Hobbyking now sell the Zero S TC under the Turnigy branding. Yes it's the superceeded car, but it's a hell of a price so definitely worth considering.

Cheers,

Steve
stephenianjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:18 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I own both a Sakura Zero & Zero S, and while the Zero S is a good entry level car the XI Sport is significantly better in a few aspects.

Firstly in the XI Sport there are universal drive shafts front & rear, unlike the Zero S which uses "dog bones" in the rear, which are not as efficient & prone to getting lost if a ball joint pops off.

The XI Sport also comes with plastic body shocks like the Zero S, but they are threaded bodies which means you don't have to fiddle with the spring clip on spacers, and the threaded ones in the XI allow for more finer adjustments.

The motor mount on the XI Sport is a big improvement over the Zero S, which most people had to upgrade to the vertical motor mount if they wanted to use spec class motors.

On the XI Sport the front pulley is a "Spool Diff" which is basically a solid diff which helps the car remain stable under braking, turning into a corner and gives gentle power on understeer on corner exits.

The XI Sport also comes with a improved battery positioning setup and the design of the velcro strap won't affect chassis "tweak", which at times happened with the Zero S.

There's a few more improvements & differences but those are what I consider the main ones, and I would recommend going for the XI Sport even if it costs a few $ more than the Zero S.

Cheers
Rob.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:10 PM   #9
Tech Initiate

Now I'm a little confused about the upgrade path of the XI Sport. I see that it shares some parts with the Sakura Ultimate, which the regular XI does not. I also see that the steering rack and floating servo mount (& other parts) of the ultimate also says it's compatible with the XI Sport, but it doesn't say that it's compatible with the XI or XI-DH. Does that mean that if I get an XI-DH carbon chassis, then I can't use the floating servo mount or other parts of the Ultimate? OR.... does that mean that the chassis of the XI-Sport is supposed to be upgraded to the Sakura Ultimate chassis? I'm a little confused, as they don't even list the XI-DH version on the 3racing website.

As far as I know, the only chassis upgrade available for the XI-Sport is the carbon XI-DH chassis? Is this a straight swap? Will I be able to use the floating servo mount of the ultimate with the XI-DH chassis?
Old 07-23-2013, 01:28 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

I bought a Zero S for VTA and thought it was pretty much junk. Could only get one shock to hold oil for more than 10 minutes. There were several mods and aftermarket parts that were needed just to get the correct gearing. I wouldn't suggest it to anyone. Especially a beginner. I think you'd be more frustrated dealing with all the issues you would run into just trying to get it going. Once I had all the issues taken care of and a different set of shocks on it it was okay for what I wanted to do with it.

3Racing has good prices on their aluminum parts and they do a decent job making them. I haven't used any of their CF parts though but I imagine they are decent as well.

I think the TC4 is what I would go with if I did it again.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:32 PM   #11
Tech Master

Zero s is great but I would go with the xi sport. I have the zero s fully upgraded and a xi fully upgraded. Both run the same lap times but the xi feels smoother. Plus the xi is a newer generation. if you could find a great deal on a zero go for it but if prices are almost identical get the xi.
Serpent S120 13.5
6376vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:10 PM   #12
Tech Adept

I ran the xi-sport last night for the 1st and 2nd race with standard kit settings and was down no less than a second a lap on my Zero-s,I've had a full season to set the zero up and the xi was still a lot more predictable and with a few more races I think will be heaps quicker.only thing I found was the plastic parts are a lot softer than the zero wich was easy to build but will be a issue whe it gets a hit. I think the 1st thing will be ripping ball studs out on the rear hubs,still the xi is the the better kit to build and race. Most of the sakuras ( specially Robs) at the race meeting on the weekend were doing well against a lot higher priced chassis.
Yogi- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:37 PM   #13
Tech Initiate

Thank you everyone for your help. I did find the answer partially to my chassis upgrade concerns/confusion. I see now that 3racing (Coming Soon) is going to have a carbon fiber chassis upgrade specifically for the XI-Sport. That, and I know that the XI-Sport shares many parts between the Ultimate, which I'm sure will be a great car. I wasn't exactly sure how the upgrade path would go, but now I think I have a better idea. At first, I thought a fully upgraded XI-Sport would simply be an XI-DH, but now I know that an upgraded XI-Sport is really going to be a hybrid between an XI-DH and an Ultimate.

I did check out the Spec-R S1, and definately will keep that one in mind, but am definately leaning towards the XI-Sport right now.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:56 AM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogi- View Post
I ran the xi-sport last night for the 1st and 2nd race with standard kit settings and was down no less than a second a lap on my Zero-s,I've had a full season to set the zero up and the xi was still a lot more predictable and with a few more races I think will be heaps quicker.
Now why did you have to go and say that for?
You're just making me wanting one now too, but I think I'll try and hold off and wait until the Sakura Ultimate version comes out. I do like some of the new features with the Ultimate.
But a XI Sport would make an excellent replacement for my 2nd car, so very tempting...

From what I believe that 3 Racing has stopped making the XI-DH kits and will be selling the Sport or Ultimate versions only.

Cheers
Rob.