Community
Wiki Posts
Search

:confused:Please help. Lipo charging question

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 09:46 PM
Tech Apprentice

Exclamation :confused:Please help. Lipo charging question

Hello, I just bought a 25c 2s lipo and i also bought a balance cahrger - http://traxxas.com/products/parts/ch...ipo2s3scharger I was wondering if it is okay that i chaerge the lipo with this charge only and not a normal charger? Thanks
Old 07-22-2013, 10:01 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by need$
Hello, I just bought a 25c 2s lipo and i also bought a balance cahrger - http://traxxas.com/products/parts/ch...ipo2s3scharger I was wondering if it is okay that i chaerge the lipo with this charge only and not a normal charger? Thanks

yes it will works fine
But ,
this charger is only design for 1400mAh (#2823) and 2200mAh lipo
but it will take an hour or more to full charge ...

if you are going to upgraded the lipo ..I would get the normal charger
Old 07-22-2013, 10:24 PM
Tech Apprentice

So it will work perfectly fine charging it only with that balance charger? Also the battery i have is a 4500mah battery so it will take about 5 hours to charge but i don't mind the wait. So is it perfecly fine to use that balance charger every time i charge it?
Old 07-22-2013, 10:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Yes, although that's quite a wait, lol
Old 07-23-2013, 02:19 AM
Tech Addict

core rc make a great charger thatll only take an hr to charge and there relatively cheap
5hrs to charge? youll soon get tired of the wait
Old 07-23-2013, 11:15 AM
Tech Apprentice

Nah, I already have to wait 8 hours to charge my NiMh. So 5 hours is a fast charge to me and how much is the charger that you are talking about?
Old 07-23-2013, 02:41 PM
Tech Addict

Nah, I already have to wait 8 hours to charge my NiMh. So 5 hours is a fast charge to me and how much is the charger that you are talking about?
in the uk they retail at £45 ill let you convert it into your currency,i have 2 of them as my race battery chargers ,they charge upto 6 amps

http://www.apexmodels.com/gbu0-prodshow/CR161.html
Old 07-23-2013, 03:14 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Just a note, unlike NiMh batteries, i wouldn't go leaving lipo's on charge without being there all the time.
If the charger has a fault and overcharges them, they will burst into flames (a bit like an oxy-acetylene torch) and will burn anything close.
That is the reason i prefer to charge at the full 1C rate so i don't have to leave them unattended for more that an hour.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Test Driver
Just a note, unlike NiMh batteries, i wouldn't go leaving lipo's on charge without being there all the time.
If the charger has a fault and overcharges them, they will burst into flames (a bit like an oxy-acetylene torch) and will burn anything close.
That is the reason i prefer to charge at the full 1C rate so i don't have to leave them unattended for more that an hour.
I agree also a long slow charge on a NIMH can cause the pack to overheat and they will explode. Not a big quick fire like lipo but more like a hand gernade. I dug a piece of one cell out of a wall just above a friends head when a pack exploded. It then blew shrapnel everywhere and the remainder of the cells flew onto the carpet track and burned a hole in it.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:58 PM
Tech Initiate

I would use caution with those small Traxxas chargers. Recently I received 2 of them with 2 new Rustler VXL's, and even though I have several really nice DC chargers and a 1000watt power supply, I thought I would try them, just because I like testing stuff. BOTH of them did not charge correctly. One of them smelled of burned electronics during charging, and ended up overcharging the battery to 4.29 volts on one cell, and 4.19 volts on the other cell. (Lipos should be charged to no more than 4.20 volts per cell).

The other charger worked one time fine, and charged a battery to 4.18 and 4.19 volts per cell. The second time I tried to use it, it overcharged both cells to 4.26 volts, which is unacceptably overcharged.

If I were you, I would throw those small Traxxas chargers in the garbage immediately before you ruin a good Lipo battery, and pick up a Thunder AC680 charger for $50.00 from HobbyPartz. I have had very good luck with Thunder chargers, and would highly recommend them to anyone on a budget.