R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-08-2005, 02:49 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Exclamation Misdesigned decals for Protoform Sttratus 3.0!!!

I'm running a R/Cshop with attached Airbrush Studio here inVienna/Austria

In spring I received a bunch of 40 Protoform Stratus 3.0 Carpet Bodies right after they were available here in Europe. After opening the box I noticed that many of the had bad molds and all the decals were a misprint. The rear or tail lights were about 1/2 inch to wide and the sub tail lights were two left ones and no right one.

I told my distributor about this and got 40 new decal sheets after some time. But they were the same misprints. Great work guys!!!
Today I received a buch of Stratus 3.0 All Purpose Version, and, you guess it, same misprinted decals inside.

So Mr. Dale Epp, here's some advice:
"If you rotate an image by 180 degrees, it stays the same, left doesn't become right. You have to mirror it!!!!!! Some good Illustrator or Photoshop books will tell you!
If you don't see that light decals are about 130% width, maybe it's time for glasses or a ruler."

Why do the proline guys make normally such great bodies and the blame us with that buch of shit????

Can't proline afford making correct decals??? Does proline need some donation???

Is there anything I can do other than paint also the lights??

Why do I have to pay for the misprints???

I would be glad to use Proline bodies for my painting business in the future, but the Stratus 3.0 keeps me thinking???

I've attached a scan so you can see the wrong decals.
TomsGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 02:52 PM   #2
Tech Master

I think we all got your point by halfway...
Anders Myrberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 02:52 PM   #3
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TimPotter

Have you emailed Dale to ask this very question ?
Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost
TimPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 03:01 PM   #4
Tech Master

Send a message via MSN to raving-monkey

no offence but with that sort of attitude Dale won't be doing much i don't think.

just email Dale politley, explaining the situation and hope he has an answer, maybe he will provide you with some more stickers, maybe he will send out some new shells...i don't exactly know but posting things like this isn't going to help
raving-monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 03:28 PM   #5
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by raving-monkey
no offence but with that sort of attitude Dale won't be doing much i don't think.

just email Dale politley, explaining the situation and hope he has an answer, maybe he will provide you with some more stickers, maybe he will send out some new shells...i don't exactly know but posting things like this isn't going to help
I totally agree with you. But if you are being ignored, what to do?
Being extra polite is the normal way, so I told my distributor the problem, he forwarded this to proline. Proline send new decals, same misprints as before. No word an the bad molded rate. So beeing ignorant was on prolines side, right??
For some time you can tell your customers "New body, preproduction etc.".
But now ist June, got the first bunch 3.0 in March, some more since then.
And the new charge today has the same misprinted decals. My distributor got them freash 2 days ago.
This was a more or less provocatively formulated approach to get some feedback. Surprisingly nobody spent a word on the wrong decals although the Stratus 3.0 body itself is a good one and widespread.

PS: Hope you get me right: For 99% I'm a fan of proline products, they're great and I'm promotiong them wherever I can.
Attached Thumbnails
Misdesigned decals for Protoform Sttratus 3.0!!!-stratus30_decal.jpg  
TomsGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 03:36 PM   #6
Tech Master

yeah i know what you mean....i remember when trying to put my rear light stickers on, when trying to put them on within the mould lines..they wrapped right around the wing mounts (you know where the 'spine' goes down back of the car)...so maybe i got dodgey stickers to, saying that...i don't use them long thin ones so i wouldn't know.

when i said 'with an attitude like that'..i meant when you said something like a good photoshop book will tell you what to do...as though you was trying to make out Dale doesn't know what he is doing.

i know what your trying to say though, totally valid points but look on the bright side..atleast you got an excuse to paint some cool lights
Old 06-08-2005, 04:25 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Jan Larsen

You're not the only one. The PF Stratus 3's I have are all with misprinted decals. Had to custom cut them. Only the rear lights though. Still annoying. Will get a pro painter to paint the lights on next time.

Also, the batch of bodies a LHS got not long ago, have misaligned trim lines. Trim the body at the lines and your body ain't legal anymore...at least that's the case here.
Jan Larsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 04:26 PM   #8
Tech Master

which lines? the ones around the bottom?

do you mean the clearance between the floor and shell or roof height that makes it illegal?
Old 06-08-2005, 04:29 PM   #9
Tech Adept

Thumbs down

OMG! misprinted stickers! OH THE HUMANITY

({}) < waaaah f*cking waaaaaah
RobertV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 04:30 PM   #10
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K

The one that I just got had the same issues with the Decals and the left side of the body was about .030+" thick and the right side was .015" thick. I like Proto-form bodies and these little things are not going to keep me from getting more but are just a pain to deal with at times. Iím glad that I didnít spend a lot of time painting the body only to find these problems out later. Besides it will be trashed after a few weeks anyway. Maybe by then the problem will be fixed and the next one I get is proper.
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 04:31 PM   #11
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Jan Larsen

Yes, the lower height lines. They're located too high up on the body. If you cut it where they are, your body is too low. Almost cost me a hole race weekend. Had nothing but Stratus 3's with since that's the body that worked the best there. Pissed is not the right word at that race...

Had to borrow a Mazda 6 from a fellow racer

The bodies are great, just wish they (Protoform) put more quality control in work before the bodies are shipped. Then this would never happen.
Jan Larsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 04:31 PM   #12
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brian McGreevy Send a message via Yahoo to Brian McGreevy

Kevin, you got PM.
USVTA Member #211

Support Formula SAE - get kids into engineering!
http://motorsports.illinois.edu/
Brian McGreevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 05:29 PM   #13
Tech Fanatic

The body has 2 cut lines because one line (lower) is for asphalt height (ROAR/IFMAR) and the other is for foam tire racing....Not a mistake
Old 06-08-2005, 05:36 PM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

That's nothing, I ordered a stratus 3 190mm and got a mazda 6 200mm instead. The tag and part # were stratus 3 but not the body. Decals were mazda as well.
It sucks because the only thing protoform would do is have me ship the body back and they would consider an exchange.
I really don't like paying an extra $5 to get the right body.
sharkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 06:38 PM   #15
Tech Regular

Tom

When I first saw the rear ligths on a body I wondered why he simply didn't use an Xacto knife to cut the piece that goes over the wing mount post
When I got mine that's what I did. Easy. The post gives you a perfect line to cut. The light is shorter now but the overall style remains.
The other two stripes I didn't even apply them. For some reason when I saw a real Stratus I thought that the body look much better without those two stripes on each side.

I know what you mean and it's annoying, but a simple solution ia probably better than the hassle of trying to change things this way.
This of course on the bodies that you paint (I suppose you do). If it's a customer complaint that's another matter. The customer is always right.

BTW nice distributor in your country. I'll try to take the decals to the guy that sells the bodies around here to see his approach. Its going to be incredibly funny
antoniop is offline   Reply With Quote