R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-23-2013, 10:36 AM   #286
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silden View Post
Only one thing really bugs me about this ongoning mod vs. stock discusion is that is only happen in onroad. In offroad there a lot more mod racers and they respect each other insted of fighting.
BTW a 2wd buggy is almost uncontrollable with a 6.5 and there still a lot of clubracers running it.
Too different to make a meaningful comparison due to limited traction.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:38 AM   #287
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Williams View Post
Jamie, don't you think that the Horsham dots-style layout made mod much more conceivable? You stepped up to mod in 1/12 for the Nats if I remember correctly.
Yes.

If I spent more time with my mod program I honestly think average Joes like myself can easily run mod. Problem is track is 4hrs each way!

Your not going to go out and beat josh cyrul but you can be on the track at same time and not be a speed bump. Just need realistic expectations. Guys that run mod ...run mod all the time and put in a ton of wheel time at some point. It not rocket science just practice and dedication.

It also teaches you to not got out and blow your shit apart...something I never understood with stock guys. Tq or bust no other style.
J.Gonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:42 AM   #288
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Quote:
I'll try to make this comperation this week or next. My son and I have the same cars and we are run at abou the same speed. I'll still own a couple hot brushed motors.
Lets see the outcome.
Great !
Please shoot sone video of you two racing head to head and share it, if at all possible. What type / size track ?
Old 07-23-2013, 10:45 AM   #289
Tech Addict

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Brushed Mod vs 17.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnet Top View Post
Great !
Please shoot sone video of you two racing head to head and share it, if at all possible. What type / size track ?
Yes we try and it will happen at TQRCRaceway on carpet.
silden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:46 AM   #290
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Gonzalez View Post
Yes.
Glad to hear it!
Quote:
If I spent more time with my mod program I honestly think average Joes like myself can easily run mod. Problem is track is 4hrs each way!
That's rough. Hope to see you at the track again this coming season. The guys have a few big races planned. Hopefully that will draw racers back again.
Jon Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:58 AM   #291
Tech Elite

What's wierd to me is when I ask the stock guys why they don't move to mod they say it is too expensive and yet when I run mod I spend way less than they do. I run the same battery and motor all season, they are constantly chasing the motor/battery of the week and letting the smoke out of motors
Old 07-23-2013, 11:12 AM   #292
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayL View Post
What's wierd to me is when I ask the stock guys why they don't move to mod they say it is too expensive and yet when I run mod I spend way less than they do. I run the same battery and motor all season, they are constantly chasing the motor/battery of the week and letting the smoke out of motors
It is also depends on the size of track...running MOD in a parking lot track is really waste of time when boosting a 13.5 is just as fast........however, having a 1/8th size permanent track with smooth and good track, it is stupid to run stock.

That is the problem.....we are lacking track like that for people to run MOD instead of stock.
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:26 AM   #293
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
Too different to make a meaningful comparison due to limited traction.
Can you explain me your statement. I know that the grip is much lower in offroad and therefor it is way harder to control, but this was one of the reason you mentioned why onroad mod is not enough fun or to hard to drive.

Last edited by silden; 07-23-2013 at 11:56 AM.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:01 PM   #294
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solara View Post
It is also depends on the size of track...running MOD in a parking lot track is really waste of time when boosting a 13.5 is just as fast........however, having a 1/8th size permanent track with smooth and good track, it is stupid to run stock.

That is the problem.....we are lacking track like that for people to run MOD instead of stock.
I agree that depending on the track size one motor MAY have an edge over the other but I don't believe the issue is a lack of bigger tracks. If you are resolved to running modified track size doesn't matter, it's a lifestyle if you will, the challenge is always trying going as fast as you can within the confines of what you are presented with, it's not about running flat out "balls to the wall." Pure and simple it's a committment and if you (not you specifically Howard) aren't willing to make it then that's okay too.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:09 PM   #295
Tech Champion

Quote:
Can you explain me your statement. I know that the grip is much lower in offroad and therefor it is way harder to control, but this was one of the reason you mentioned why onroad mod is not enough fun or to hard to drive.
What he means is that, even though offroad is all mod, the cars go maybe as fast as 17.5 blinky tc's, so you dont get the pucker factor like you do with mod onroad

Awesomatix USA/Pyscho Cells Racing/Tekin/Sweep Racing/RSD/180 Raceway/Johns Mobile Raceway/TQ Wire/Avid/Sanwa
geeunit1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:18 PM   #296
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
I wonder how those Ride tires are on the rug? It seems like on-road in the US declined when we went to rubber tires. The Europeans I spoke to at IIC said their cars felt broken on the tires we run here. It seems like the Europeans are always running a higher grip tire on the rug.

That's just a theory. I don't know the answer. All I have are questions. And a troll face.
I ran the ride tires here last year when I was trying to get some practice with them for ETS that I went to. On our track I was able to run the same lap times as Jaco's but the car setup was WAY different. The tires are much taller, more air gap and roll around a ton. They feel really bad when going from Jaco to them. After changing the setup to the tire they felt OK driving but still edgy. I think the reason those guys over there run a higher grip tire is their tracks have about 25% the traction that our big races have BUT they still traction roll when the grip does come up.

Until you run on that type of carpet its really really hard to explain and understand just how different it is. Cars react in ways a car shouldnt...LOL. I think it is why those guys over there are so good when it comes to adapting to tracks and track conditions. They are so used to it and we are not. We are used to Snowbirds type traction everywhere we go because of the wonderful CRC carpet. They are used to starting off on a dusty off road track, then asphalt traction, then brand new ozite. But it doesnt get much higher than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
I'm fairly certain that has more to do with the type of rug raced on than anything else.

EA
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:30 PM   #297
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAMotorsports View Post
I ran the ride tires here last year when I was trying to get some practice with them for ETS that I went to. On our track I was able to run the same lap times as Jaco's but the car setup was WAY different.
This is what I remember when we ran the older rubber tires on asphalt back in 2004, EA. They felt taller, edgier, more 'rolly'. I remember it being a bit of a shock for me when going from Horsham high-bite, foam to 'rolly' asphalt.

I could be wrong, that's just what I remember.
Jon Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:02 PM   #298
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeunit1014 View Post
What he means is that, even though offroad is all mod, the cars go maybe as fast as 17.5 blinky tc's, so you dont get the pucker factor like you do with mod onroad
I have to remember this when try to run mod buggy again. Maybe it will help with the endless donuts out of the corners.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:25 PM   #299
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

EA ,

Can you compare the speed of Roar 17.5 stock tc class to the *limited* FDR and timing of the spec ( speed passion motor + esc ) 13.5 ETS super stock cars ?

Jake D.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:51 PM   #300
Tech Master

I tried ride tires before on a med to high bite track and i thaught the felt super stable to me. I normally ran sweeps or jacos, and when i tried the ride tire my car pushed more but i was turning same laptimes. Maybe its just me but i kinda like the feel of taller sidewalls
rosko is offline   Reply With Quote