R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-23-2013, 06:36 AM   #241
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Sorry, Syn. Normally, I'm on board with most of what you post, but I gotta disagree here. The transition from stock to mod for me has been surprisingly easy. I am enjoying running the same batteries every week with little concern about where their IRs are at and blowing up spec motors. I find its even more now about setup and driving skill aka laying down the power. After only a few weeks running mod my lap times are within spitting distance of where I want to be.

As for wear and tear it has really been limited to the rear belt popping on occasion. That's the only difference I've experienced.

Anyway, appreciate the provocative post as it's obviously started some good discussion.
Jon Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:49 AM   #242
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Williams View Post
Sorry, Syn. Normally, I'm on board with most of what you post, but I gotta disagree here. The transition from stock to mod for me has been surprisingly easy. I am enjoying running the same batteries every week with little concern about where their IRs are at and blowing up spec motors. I find its even more now about setup and driving skill aka laying down the power. After only a few weeks running mod my lap times are within spitting distance of where I want to be.

As for wear and tear it has really been limited to the rear belt popping on occasion. That's the only difference I've experienced.

Anyway, appreciate the provocative post as it's obviously started some good discussion.
I'm in the same boat. I have been running stock for over a year and I'm not the fastest guy, but I hold my own. I started running mod a few weeks ago and its been a pretty easy transition. I now run both classes every race day. At our track, which is the one Chris Adams mentioned earlier we have a good showing weekly. I think we have close to 10+ guys that could show up at any given point to run mod on a weekly basis. This is up from getting the bare min of 3 just to make a class not but more then a few months ago. I enjoy it because of the speed and how much it has helped me improve.

XRAY T4'14/ORCA VXX/ORCA TX 5.0
XRAY XB8'14

Last edited by Jerz616; 07-23-2013 at 07:12 AM.
Jerz616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:54 AM   #243
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerz616 View Post
I'm in the same boat. I have been running stick for over a year and I'm not the fastest guy, but I hold my own. I started running mod a few weeks ago and its been a pretty easy transition. I now run both classes every race day. At our track, which is the one Chris Adams mentioned earlier we have a good showing weekly. I think we have close to 10+ guys that could show up at any given point to run mod on a weekly basis. This is up from getting the bare min of 3 just to make a class not but more then a few months ago. I enjoy it because of the speed and how much it has helped me improve.
Which track is that?
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:10 AM   #244
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:

I also fully agree on the transition. I feel it has fully helped my setup skills as well. Having to learn what to change to be able to set the power down has been the harder part but has made me a much much better driver. I have been running modified on carpet and asphalt since Jan 1st area. I now cringe at the thought I might have to take out a mod motor in my 12th scale or TC for carpet. It makes me want to run off-road. Lucky for me my home asphalt track is Leisure Hours and almost always has a modified class. I would be all about a series to run against the best in the Nation. If we want to bring back a World title we need to be able to build up our skill set and I don't see that happening soon.
Nitro GT
Wheeler and Mod Buggy
NolanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:14 AM   #245
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddins View Post
Which track is that?
Mikes hobby shop in Dallas.

XRAY T4'14/ORCA VXX/ORCA TX 5.0
XRAY XB8'14
Jerz616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:26 AM   #246
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:

Thank you Jon. I came here to post almost the exact same thing, except I was also going to tell Adam to stop being a whiny little [redacted].

Destiny | LRP America | Protoform | Xenon/JFT | Gravity RC | Motiv | Sanwa | Max.FX
LloydLoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:37 AM   #247
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydLoar View Post
Thank you Jon. I came here to post almost the exact same thing, except I was also going to tell Adam to stop being a whiny little [redacted].
Yeah, I think you just distilled my comments even further.

I know Schreff, Hanulec, Haynes (on occasion), me and a few others want to start running mod indoors at Horsham. We'll see if we can keep the momentum going as the indoor season starts up.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:45 AM   #248
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
I am enjoying running the same batteries every week with little concern about where their IRs are at and blowing up spec motors.
So when stock gets too hard, run mod?

But seriously, I get what you're saying. It's not that I think the idea of modified is flawed, of course we'd all love to run one motor and busted old batteries.

You're also running outside on a big track, where the power makes more sense. See how you feel when you're back inside at Horsham, especially when there's some forward grip. We couldn't even get most of your fast guys there to run 13.5 at nats. Now you're all gonna step up and run 4.5 - 7.5 on 100x42 of rug? Count me among the skeptics.

Honestly, what irks me is how guys throw in a mod motor and suddenly start acting holier-than-thou, like they're too good for the slower motors, and people that run them are cherry pickers or scrubs. When in reality those same guys wouldn't even make the show in super stock with their mod motors strapped in.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:47 AM   #249
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I run on a 100x36 indoor carpet track too. Step one remove boost...Then continue to have fun. I'm trying to kill off a bucket list item...attend Worlds

I'm not calling anyone a cherry picker just would prefer modified.
Nitro GT
Wheeler and Mod Buggy
NolanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:47 AM   #250
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Quote:

I'm on board with you on this too. I never worry about having enough motor or battery in mod and I find that you really have to work the car setup for the track and your driving in mod because with more speed you really push for a good setup. I'm still running the same ESC/motor that I started with at the beginning of last season and don't see any need to change them as long as they keep working.

For your car, I'm not sure popping a rear belt is normal. Maybe tighten your belts a bit? Mod cars need the belts tighter than 17.5 cars for sure.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:52 AM   #251
Tech Lord

Wow, the way people are talking in here, it's almost as if modified is popular. Too bad it'll be the same disappointment at all the big races this season.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:52 AM   #252
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post

Honestly, what irks me is how guys throw in a mod motor and suddenly start acting holier-than-thou, like they're too good for the slower motors, and people that run them are cherry pickers or scrubs. When in reality those same guys wouldn't even make the show in super stock with their mod motors strapped in.
I don't think it's mod guys putting that out there, it's the feeling stock guys are putting on themselves.

I run mod, I suck at it, I'm a better 17.5 racer and I have a 17.5 car that can win races, I don't run it. Nothing against 17.5, I just like to rip the power from the mod car.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:03 AM   #253
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
I never have and never will think people who run stock or super stock are cherry pickers or scrubs. In many respects I think those classes are harder than mod.

I just wish you could talk about mod without being so damn bitter and whiny, that's all. It is like you are afraid to say "you know what guys, mod isn't for me" and instead have to come up with some bitter excuse for why you don't run mod.

I have derailed this thread enough, though. Sorry.

Destiny | LRP America | Protoform | Xenon/JFT | Gravity RC | Motiv | Sanwa | Max.FX
LloydLoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:04 AM   #254
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Carter View Post
I don't think it's mod guys putting that out there, it's the feeling stock guys are putting on themselves.

I run mod, I suck at it, I'm a better 17.5 racer and I have a 17.5 car that can win races, I don't run it. Nothing against 17.5, I just like to rip the power from the mod car.
Maybe so. Although I think some people get it in their heads that they're racing the premiere class of RC when they've got a mod in their car. I just fail to see how smashing into things going fast is more premiere than driving tight lines going a little slower. Especially when more often than not, the overall time with the slow motor is faster.

And I'm with you about enjoying more rip. I greatly prefer 13.5 over 17.5, and I would be happy to even move up to 13.5 boosted or 10.5 blinky. It's not that I disagree with going faster. I just think the open nature of modified takes it too far, and out of the hands of all but a few. But mod is where most people go when they get tired of the spec game, so even hinting at correcting it with some kind of cap makes the streets flow with the tears of the modified martyrs.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:09 AM   #255
Tech Elite

Quote:
So when stock gets too hard, run mod? :lol
Not at all. Stock is not 'hard' for me, quite the opposite--you know this. I am *generally* top 5, usually top 3 every time I put my touring car on the track (except when motors blow up. lol). Mod has honestly been less expensive thus far and more challenging.

Quote:
But seriously, I get what you're saying. It's not that I think the idea of modified is flawed, of course we'd all love to run one motor and busted old batteries.
Well, relatively speaking. My batteries are still quite good, I'm just not obsessed with their IRs for weekly club racing. I should've clarified this in my previous post. I'm just more concerned with laying down the available power and learning how to further accommodate that power with my setup rather than worry about squeezing every last lick of HP out of the motor/battery combo.

Quote:
You're also running outside on a big track, where the power makes more sense. See how you feel when you're back inside at Horsham, especially when there's some forward grip. We couldn't even get most of your fast guys there to run 13.5 at nats. Now you're all gonna step up and run 4.5 - 7.5 on 100x42 of rug? Count me among the skeptics.
Well, I can only speak for myself in that at the Carpet Nats I was back in R/C for less than 9 months after a ~ 6 year hiatus. The fact that I TQed 1/12 17.5 and finished 3rd in an extremely talented field made me very happy. Running 13.5 and mod in TC or 1/12 at the Nats my first season back was not part of my plan.

Quote:
Again, I can only speak for myself here. You know that the above is obviously not the case for me. I want to continue to cultivate the talent I have. Making the leap into mod/13.5/whatever is the next logical step for me. But I hear what you're saying.

ETA: I also do not look down on guys running stock classes because a) they prefer it over mod b) they like the tighter competition. I get that as well. No holier-than-thou attitude here.

Last edited by Jon Williams; 07-23-2013 at 09:24 AM.