R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-22-2013, 08:40 PM   #226
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Adams View Post
Maybe in your area mod is dead but its still alive and growing here in Texas. We just had 14 guys in our last Texas Series race and those are just the hard core guys that travel. And yes, most of them are well known racers from years past or up and coming drivers. There are more than 5 of us!
It's good to hear you guys are fighting the good fight. I lost interest. It's too much work for someone that races for fun and is lucky to get one night a week at the track. I'll leave it to all the young folks joining our hobby with unlimited resources and free time to charge forward and represent modified.

Oh wait...
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:41 PM   #227
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default even the motor playing field

RPM limiter with fixed FDR.
More difficult to cheat that type of system. There will always be someone who will try, and maybe succeed. There always is. You would have to be able to mess with the this electronic device that regulates the RPM. Would be a sealed device, easy to check as you walked thru tech, its there in place and sealed and coded. It could be a handout item that runs inline with the sensor wires, or some other simple method to regulate the ESC to motor RPM. It would make any motor variations less significant, or even an over voltage battery a non factor.

If the max RPM was 25,000, its 25,000 for everyone. (a RPM can be chosen that makes sense for whatever speed the sanctioning bodies want to come up with) tie that with a max FDR and all would be on the same playing field as to speed. It becomes all about set-up and driving skill and we can stop playing the motor of the week game and become better racers.

I have thrown this out there before, with a few that have scoffed the idea, but it really does make sense. I have been racing cars of various types for over 40 years, so I have seen this kind of thing come up a few times now. Its good for others to give feedback as to any problems they see. It will help to make it work better when it does happen...

I race mod, partially so I don't have to get into the whole motor/battery/esc wars that seem to keep coming up, but also to not get into the who's cheating scenarios that seem to come up often as well. Or who is got "special team racer equipment" or just someone willing to spend over the top money to get it. All of that takes some of the enjoyment out of trying to win races with driving skill or sometimes even being able to compete.

Oh, and a little more back on topic - Bravo Hudy, what a beautiful race facility. And just watching close racing across the field looks like fun. Great series.

Last edited by oldrcr; 07-22-2013 at 10:38 PM.
oldrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:05 PM   #228
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
It's good to hear you guys are fighting the good fight. I lost interest. It's too much work for someone that races for fun and is lucky to get one night a week at the track. I'll leave it to all the young folks joining our hobby with unlimited resources and free time to charge forward and represent modified.

Oh wait...
How is mod holding us back? Im confused? Seems as though racers priorities or lack of dedication are holding people back. Not the class. Why make the premier class easier so that you can run it? If its too hard, race stock. If you dont race it cause you want to win, then your racing for the wrong reason. Yes everyone wants to win, but there will be only one, and the rest get to think about it till the next time.

Texas EOS 2018!
Chris Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:52 PM   #229
Tech Lord

The two classes I want to race are already available everywhere I go (17.5 and 13.5). I'd just like to see 13.5 grow to include all the mod guys and all the fast stock guys. The true middle ground.

Having mod at a race creates either a stigma against the top guys running 13.5, or a lack of interest due to not wanting to play the spec game, or not wanting to adjust driving style between two cars at the same event, or who knows what else.

It's admirable you're running modified and getting better at it. But I disagree that modified is the premiere class in on-road anymore. It might grab all the headlines on RC's one mediocre blog, but the reality is that stock is what a majority of people in this country race, and it's stock results people look at when trying to decide what equipment to buy.

I embrace what we are. A country full of talented stock racers, and a few dudes filling up the B-Z in mod.

Last edited by syndr0me; 07-22-2013 at 10:06 PM.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:17 PM   #230
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
I embrace what we are. A country full of talented stock racers,
but are we?? or are we just b-main material in stock too???

i think the USA needs to "invade" the super stock class at the ETS series to determine if that statement is true. who is with me? In the past, Haynes, Fairtrace and I have been talking about doing an ETS race. I think the major question is -- which one?
FJ / ROAR #2-122945 / MaxRotation FPV Drone Racing / [email protected] Awesomatix USA / Wild Turbo Fan / Mon-Tech Racing / RocheRC USA / Side Piece /
LRP / John's BSR Tires / TeamEAM / TQ Wire / R1 / Team Scream / PCR / MIX
RacerLog wiki Awesomatix A700 / 2wd offroad 4 life
hanulec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:23 PM   #231
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Adams View Post
If you dont race it cause you want to win, then your racing for the wrong reason. Yes everyone wants to win, but there will be only one, and the rest get to think about it till the next time.
Profound!
Old 07-22-2013, 10:32 PM   #232
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanulec View Post

i think the USA needs to "invade" the super stock class at the ETS series to determine if that statement is true. who is with me? In the past, Haynes, Fairtrace and I have been talking about doing an ETS race. I think the major question is -- which one?
That could really be a great time. Getting used to dots, their layouts, the tires and all the motor tricks would take some effort. I think EA is the only person to make the trip over to run on the rug, right?
Old 07-22-2013, 10:38 PM   #233
OVA
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chris Adams
If you dont race it cause you want to win, then your racing for the wrong reason. Yes everyone wants to win, but there will be only one, and the rest get to think about it till the next time.

1+
OVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:42 PM   #234
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Quote:

I agree, talk is cheap. There is only one way to see if we really do have a bunch of talented stock drivers.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:11 AM   #235
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVA View Post
1+
Yeah, but it's just the same old tired fallacy we've heard a thousand times before that people race stock only because they want to win.

People race stock because they don't work at the track. People race stock because RC is a hobby for all but a few guys. People race stock because it has all the fun and none of the headaches of modified.

It should tell you something that a vast majority of racers would rather put up with motor of the month, battery of the month, and all the other expense and annoyances of stock racing than just strap in any old mod and try to make it work.

Today's version of modified is broken. If you want it to grow, the class needs to evolve.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:37 AM   #236
Tech Adept

Send a message via ICQ to vitomon Send a message via Skype™ to vitomon

Quote:

as a long term runner in the ETS races - although without success - i can recomend two races in particular.

the full schedule ist not finished yet but the series will start 1st november in the czech republic (hrotovice) on carpet. this is a very good venue as the race in in a hall attached to the hotel ( and the bar ). it creates a good vibe because everybody is staying at the same place. good party in the bar afterwards

i liked hrotivce and gran canary the best. anyhow, i'd love for more US/CA guys to come over and join the ETS once a year. its always a friendly environment and very close racing.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:33 AM   #237
Tech Addict

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
mod needs to go. It's holding us back. Sorry it didn't work out.
That statement is totally wrong. Then is F1, the real one, holding the onroad racing scene back too. They have only 16 drivers I believe insted the thousends privateers all over the world. LOL

The Mod driver push the envelop way further than you can do with 40A charging and they drag the masses of new comers to RC. We know that stock is also fast and challenging, but mod also looks fast for the outsider.

BTW you statement is shows we are already arrived in the instant archievment establishment.
I just started with mod and I'm normally one of the low A or mid B main guys in stock.

Last edited by silden; 07-23-2013 at 02:07 AM.
silden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:38 AM   #238
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Roelof

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldrcr View Post
RPM limiter with fixed FDR.
Is not enough.....
A current limiter is also needed. And then the battery will be the important factor so same batteries with a same charger or charger program is also needed.

There is an Europian company who has devellopped a capacity meter. These modules can be programmed by the organisation to a certain capacity, if you have used more a red light will turn on for the technical inspection.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:28 AM   #239
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The discussion about mod/ and stock is just useless. Mod will not die and stock will not either! A class will be unpopular some seasons or low in starting numbers or be gone in some regions for limited time. But there will always be guys/manufacturer racing this or that or make an agreement to use the same material or material with the same performance. So it is pointless to argue about that.
And if a class dies, then what? Maybe we found something that is more fun

One thing is for sure: The fast guys will always be the fast guys (until age comes in our way sooner or later )!

So adding more rules to a class or making it stock will not change a thing. I just learnt this year in our club. Last year we had an open class for 1/10 efra touring cars. The only limit was set with the runtime of 15 minutes. This year we have a maximum fdr, Reedy 10.5t motors and blinky esc. Guess what everybody expected? Of course, very close racing! What happened? Two guys freighttrain through the field, lapping everybody at least three times a race. I am lucky to be one of the duo. I don't know what makes me faster than the rest of the club. What I know for sure is that I spent a lot of time (preseason) with the other fast guy on the track, preparing the car, working on my setup and practicing lap after lap.

One thing nobody must forget is how our brain works. The brain transforms its sectors depending on what you do. If you drive toy cars six hours everyday it will have a huge sector for this activity. Making it possible for you to drive faster/better than others, that just practice every second weekend.

Just my two cent...
Old 07-23-2013, 05:48 AM   #240
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitomon View Post
as a long term runner in the ETS races - although without success - i can recomend two races in particular.

the full schedule ist not finished yet but the series will start 1st november in the czech republic (hrotovice) on carpet. this is a very good venue as the race in in a hall attached to the hotel ( and the bar ). it creates a good vibe because everybody is staying at the same place. good party in the bar afterwards

i liked hrotivce and gran canary the best. anyhow, i'd love for more US/CA guys to come over and join the ETS once a year. its always a friendly environment and very close racing.

Where do you fly into for Hrotovice?

EA
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote