R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-18-2013, 06:03 PM   #31
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by locked View Post
LOL. I know a couple guys, aside from you Mike, who had or still have Awesomatix cars. Both very good drivers. Both had an absolute nightmare of a time with DNFs.

I really do think it's a great car, but it certainly doesn't take the hits that my cars can and keep going like nothing happened.
I can only think of one driver who's DNF'd more with his awesomatix than he did with his Xray, and I think some of that was just getting the car broken in. The other guys who frequently DNF with awesomatix cars are just always pushing the limits, and they don't really DNF any more often than the non-awesomatix drivers who also push the limits.

-Mike
grippgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:11 PM   #32
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Awesomatix......$900!!!! is that retail price?!?!?
rayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:28 PM   #33
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by locked View Post
LOL. I know a couple guys, aside from you Mike, who had or still have Awesomatix cars. Both very good drivers. Both had an absolute nightmare of a time with DNFs.

I really do think it's a great car, but it certainly doesn't take the hits that my cars can and keep going like nothing happened.
These statement always make me laugh. Your not a very good driver if you hit stuff. Running 1 fast lap and blowing your car apart proves nothing. Go watch Rick Howart or Lamberto Collari.
J.Gonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:02 PM   #34
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Gonzalez View Post
These statement always make me laugh. Your not a very good driver if you hit stuff. Running 1 fast lap and blowing your car apart proves nothing. Go watch Rick Howart or Lamberto Collari.
I was referring to guys who almost always have standard deviations of around 1 tenth and the DNFs mainly came from just grazing an inside corner or getting hit by lap traffic. There were times when they hit nothing at all and the car broke. I'm sure you'll think they didn't build it right then, but that is not the case. Maybe just bad luck. Whatever, they got a lot of DNFs for things that would not have broken most other cars. Fact.

I recall seeing Alex Hagberg recently make a comment on facebook, responding to a question of why he had so many new bodies. It was something like "if you aren't hitting anything, you aren't going fast enough". He must not be a very good driver.
locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:12 PM   #35
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Gonzalez View Post
If you want to be fast (or learn how to be fast) you gotta push the limits. How are you going to know where the threshold is unless you cross it a few times? If you keep doing the same slow thing every lap, how are you going to get faster? In order to know the limits, you must test them

Last edited by Fast Little Car; 07-19-2013 at 12:31 PM.
Fast Little Car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:22 PM   #36
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Little Car View Post
I hope you're being sarcastic, in that case disregard what I have typed below.

If you want to be fast (or learn how to be fast) you gotta push the limits. How are you going to know where the threshold is unless you cross it a few times? If you keep doing the same slow thing every lap, how are you going to get faster? In order to know the limits, you must test them
I believe he's being sarcastic. Hagberg is one of the top 5 drivers in the world right now in my opinion particularly in mod touring.
Jon Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:31 PM   #37
Tech Initiate

Yeah, he was..lol
Edited for proper context
Fast Little Car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:48 PM   #38
Tech Apprentice

A little off topic but anyways. The Awesomatix reminds me of the Tenth Technology Predator. An oddball design for those who like being different. I wonder how many Awesomatix drivers also drive Saab road cars. (I know they went belly up)
Old 07-19-2013, 02:46 PM   #39
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Few would run the awesomatix if all it had going for it was being different. The large majority's primary reason for running it are the performance and secondary its innovative design.

A lot of people keep bring up the price. They start at $727 which isn't a stripped model. For that price you get double jointed drive shafts up front, dog bone blades that last 10 times (or more) longer than plastic blades, a full set of roll bars, spring steel outdrives front/back and CNC machined diffs front/back. All the hubs are precision aluminum. Also keep in mind you will never have to change shock oil or change shock springs. Option out an xray, it will cost more than $727 if you buy double jointed drive shafts, all the springs and roll bars.

The durability issues some have brought up are mostly fixed with the new kits. The double jointed drive shafts now have a sleeve, IMO they're more durable than the xray now. The outer ball cups do sill pop off but they require a much bigger impact. The steering rack issues were also solved with the new kit. Aside from the xray it's durability is on par with anything on the market. I'm willing to bet most of the cars DNF'ing are the original cars.

Last edited by malkiy; 07-19-2013 at 03:30 PM.
malkiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 11:56 AM   #40
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Ok I raced a new 417v5 in the A main at my local track. The car was brand new 2 heats of racing on it this car was built by a Novice racer it needed steering but it was more competive then the car I have been dailing on for the last 2 month's. The 417v5 fit my driving style more then my present car. Never driven the car till the main 2 laps of warm up then race and the car felt pretty good! It took 1/2 the race for me to find the braking zone to turn fast laps but it was fun to drive. I banged around early in the main because I would to slow so much on corner entry but the was preditable easy to drive as long as I got it slowed down on corner entry I was racing. If the car had some more brakes it would have turned faster lap times.
Is Tamiya coming out with a up dated version similiar to a raceberry conversion? When do you think that will happen?

http://localrcracing.freeforums.org/
HobbyTown Fresno, Ca. McAllister Racing, Visa/MasterCard's
vivo quevas is offline   Reply With Quote