R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-06-2005, 07:07 AM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default Rubber Tire vs. Foam Tire on Carpet

Anybody have opinions of either, mostly trying to determine how much slower of lap times, if any, a TC on rubber would be compared to Foam tires. Also is the one way the hot ticket running rubber tires on carpet? Just trying to get some ideas for the INTCHAMPS in Vegas.
Old 06-06-2005, 07:25 AM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang

I am going to say rubber tires are about 0.75 to 1 sec a lap slower on a 12 sec a lap track.
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 07:57 AM   #3
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

how much money do you want to spend is the question? Foams are expensive period. If anyone says there not is a factory driver getting them fo free. I have never gone through a set of rubber tire's in one race meeting. It's been done on foams though. Truing them down to nothing for a run or two just to stay with the guns. It's ridiculous. At the Reedy race I heard some of the factory guys getting excited to running the rubber tire class because they hated foams. It's up to you as to which class you want to run but get you Visa out if you're going foams.
Old 06-06-2005, 08:03 AM   #4
Tech Addict

Dizzy1 -

Whats going on Sucka!!! Give me a call ....

Wilde
tufferwilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 08:03 AM   #5
Tech Addict

stLN- I'm running rubber, just wonder how many times at the local rug I should be getting lapped by foams to make sure I am in the ball park with my setups.
Old 06-06-2005, 08:04 AM   #6
Tech Addict

The wilde's in the house, you going to vegas? Email me.
Oh yeah
Wilde-Fu
Old 06-06-2005, 08:11 AM   #7
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzy1
stLN- I'm running rubber, just wonder how many times at the local rug I should be getting lapped by foams to make sure I am in the ball park with my setups.
When I was practicing for the TCS race-I tried to get my F1 car and my sedan to within about a sec of a Touring car on foam tires. I figured when I did that i was in the ballpark of having a decent rubber tire car. This was my only gauge as no one here runs rubber tires on carpet.
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 08:34 AM   #8
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to seaball

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzy1
i think the best answer(s) to the above is to find some results of recent big races that have run both, a rubber, and a foam tire class at the same event. trackside has done this for the novak race and all the results from the last few years are posted on their website. i am sure that there are a few others as well, but i don't know off the top of my head. perhaps the roar nats from a few years ago?

this way you can cruch the numbers yourself instead of trusting someone elses math or observations/comparisons.

i believe rayhuang is in the ballpark.
seaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 08:45 AM   #9
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

On a technical track here, i could push a slow 25 lapper on rubber and i felt my car was pretty dialled, on foams i was on track record pace with only a 95% there car that would still need a little more work. A good 20 seconds or so faster over 5 minutes.... Looking at 11-12 second laps there too...
berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 09:01 AM   #10
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

I am no professional about electric carpet TC racing...but just want to know a set of CS27 is about $40 (tires, rims, insert and my bad CA glueing technique)..........I would like to know how long can a set of rubber last? (for example, each race day has 4 qualifier and triple A main or double B main..)

About foam get expensive....for me, they sounds cheaper then rubber. I have a set of Parma foam and GQ foams, already have to true them down to 59mm from new 64mm (that really hurts)......but lasted me at least 3 full days of racing...and down it is down to 54mm.......and 54mm is STILL considered racable for me.....

So I just want to know how many races can rubber last........a set of foams is about $30 ($15 each pair)........

Yes, I can second that, foam is about 1 second faster per lap (comparing my rubber and foam tires lap time...)
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 11:09 AM   #11
Tech Addict

Not to get off topic, but what body seems to be the ticket with rubber on carpet, Mazda or is the all purpose seem to be the new body.
Old 06-06-2005, 11:49 AM   #12
Tech Master

Send a message via MSN to raving-monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLNLST
how much money do you want to spend is the question? Foams are expensive period. If anyone says there not is a factory driver getting them fo free. I have never gone through a set of rubber tire's in one race meeting. It's been done on foams though. Truing them down to nothing for a run or two just to stay with the guns. It's ridiculous. At the Reedy race I heard some of the factory guys getting excited to running the rubber tire class because they hated foams. It's up to you as to which class you want to run but get you Visa out if you're going foams.
so your saying going through about 4 sets of rubber tyres a weekend (at 30 a throw) is cheap?

i don't true my foams down to nothing but my foams can last me season after season...i don't tend to run foam anymore but when i used to, i only got new foams when they chunked or i seriously needed a different compound
raving-monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 05:16 PM   #13
Tech Master

Mazda 6 is the hot shell for rubber tire carpet. If you want the car to feel more stable/less steering go Nemesis
BlackKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 05:46 PM   #14
Tech Adept

The Parma Alpha rules on carpet.
RobertV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 05:46 PM   #15
Tech Initiate

I think that with foams on carpet you get a good advantage over rubber and if you keep them in good nick you can sell them off to club racers in lower classes to redeem the cost a bit. It may meen you need a few different compounds but thats the same as rubber?.
Y.Bear is offline   Reply With Quote