R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-07-2013, 04:15 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default HPI McLaren F1 Body and Touring Car Chassis

Hi All,

Not knowing enough about the current hobby, I picked up a 1/10 HPI McLaren F1 Body to put on my HPI Sprint 2 Flux car.

After looking at it seems this will not fit the S2F as the front shock towers are too high, as is the main spur gear. This is a real bummer as I've started to acquire many parts for this build, and it seems nothing will fit so far. I also picked up 2x 2s, 5300 Nano Tech Lipos, in the ROAR hard case, but they do not fit the S2F with out some major modifications

My plan was to build a parking lot speed machine just to play with, but it's not working out, so far. I have been thinking a Pan car, but I really wanted to stick with a TC chassis.

My plan B is to model a 190mm BMW E46 M3 to the S2F chassis, but even then I had to move my front shocks to the most inward position, and shave down the front shock towers ears so the body would sit nice and low with out interference.

I still would like to model the McLaren, if it takes another chassis, so be it, has anybody been able to fit this McLaren Body to a TC chassis at all?

Thanks!
Old 07-07-2013, 04:22 PM   #2
Tech Addict

I'm told the Tamiya TA05v2 will fit! That's looks like a nice kit! The Tamiya TA06 as well.

I was really wondering if this is a HPI body made for HPI TC cars, which HPI does it fit?
ViperZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:13 PM   #3
Tech Addict

I maybe able to get it to fit the S2F chassis. I need to cut the last extra mounting hole off the front shock tower and the front will be good. The only niggling concern is the main spur gear, it still rides against the rear window, giving me more wheel gap than I would like.

Maybe once the front is lowered slightly more, it may just give enough space between the gear and window. I would hate to have to notch the window to clear the gear.
Attached Thumbnails
HPI McLaren F1 Body and Touring Car Chassis-dsc_3502.jpg   HPI McLaren F1 Body and Touring Car Chassis-dsc_3504.jpg   HPI McLaren F1 Body and Touring Car Chassis-dsc_3507.jpg   HPI McLaren F1 Body and Touring Car Chassis-dsc_3508.jpg   HPI McLaren F1 Body and Touring Car Chassis-dsc_3511.jpg  

Old 07-07-2013, 09:55 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Send a message via MSN to WheelNut

You could always change your gear ratio to a smaller spur and smaller pinion. Then you could keep your same final drive and get more clearance at the same time.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:17 PM   #5
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelNut View Post
You could always change your gear ratio to a smaller spur and smaller pinion. Then you could keep your same final drive and get more clearance at the same time.
That's an excellent idea, I'll have to look into that!

looking at it some more the gear still touches. I suppose I could cut a small rectangular hole in the rear window to allow clearance, but this isn't a Nitro car Either that or leave the backend with big wheel gap (hate it)

The front shock mounts just clear after trimming the last extra hole off, however fitment could be less slammed
Attached Thumbnails
HPI McLaren F1 Body and Touring Car Chassis-dsc_3512.jpg   HPI McLaren F1 Body and Touring Car Chassis-dsc_3513.jpg   HPI McLaren F1 Body and Touring Car Chassis-dsc_3514.jpg   HPI McLaren F1 Body and Touring Car Chassis-dsc_3517.jpg   HPI McLaren F1 Body and Touring Car Chassis-dsc_3520.jpg  

Old 08-16-2013, 10:03 PM   #6
Tech Addict

I thought I should update this post with the more or less finished result. In the end I got the body to fit pretty well. I did drop the spur gear to a 87 and increased the pinion to a 20. The stock spur was 90 which rubbed the inside rear window unless you raised the body higher than scale looking.

I shaved the front shock mounts of 2 holes to have only the lowest setting, only to realize HPI already included a single mount low shock tower with the Sprint 2 Flux kit

I have upgrade the power system to a Castle Creations SV3 Sidewinder 5700 kV motor and ESC. I have fitted in a 3300mah, 3s, 70C Nanotech Lipo pack and plan to take it out tomorrow for a spin and see how she runs.

Last edited by ViperZ; 08-16-2013 at 10:15 PM.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:12 PM   #7
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

looks really sharp. i wouldn't drive it for fear of scratching it.
ThePanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:16 PM   #8
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePanda View Post
Ha, Ha... Thanks! I bought another McLaren body to paint up just for this very reason
Old 08-17-2013, 07:13 AM   #9
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePanda View Post
I agree. That looks perfect! It'd be a shame to get it dirty or scratch it.

I have the same problem with a couple of my bodies. They turned out so good, I can't bring myself to run them. lol
wareagle84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:56 AM   #10
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wareagle84 View Post
I agree. That looks perfect! It'd be a shame to get it dirty or scratch it.

I have the same problem with a couple of my bodies. They turned out so good, I can't bring myself to run them. lol

Thanks! I know what you're saying... I find after a person builds up a few nicely painted bodies in inventory, you just have to run them

Back when I use to race 1/12 carpet on road, I could not wait to race a newly painted body and always looked forward to it, even though I knew it would get beatup.

I plan to run the car today so I'll have to update this thread with the results.
Old 09-28-2017, 08:49 PM   #11
Tech Rookie

Does this body fit into a TT01E??
Maobingyishen is offline   Reply With Quote