R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-10-2013, 06:43 AM   #46
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDaShrubber View Post
I would like to see your results if these tires were all mounted on the same rim with the same insert, it would give the data more meaning as every other variable has been removed and we would be looking at the differences in tire compound only.

The only conclusion that can be drawn from this data is that your Sorex hand builds are faster than premounts of 2 other kinds.
I think this is a very valid comparison. Premounts are what they are.

The interesting thing is that in the US at most tracks racers do not run the fastest tire. They run the most consistent, cost effective tire.

Most tracks and racers settle on a combo that everyone runs. Here in FL Solaris premounts are our spec tire for the state series. Is it the fastest? No, but it is a good consistent tire and not too expensive. As a result it is the tire of choice at every outdoor track in FL. Guys want to club race with what they race in the series. They don't want one run tires.

In FL on carpet Jaco Blues are equally dominant.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:13 AM   #47
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey Mike. Another factor to take into consideration is that on that temporary track, grip levels rise quickly throughout the day, so each run as the day goes on will usually be a fair bit quicker than the previous ones. I tried sorex 24 for Q1 and they were pretty good, but I think by Q2 they would have given me troubles, so I switched to 28s for the rest of the day.

In the A-main, grip levels rose to the point where Adam traction rolled and that allowed me to take the win.

It is interesting data, but there are several variables that could make it unreliable.
locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:24 AM   #48
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.America View Post
Thats correct... choosing a wheel that has the flex c haracteristics you are looking for, and the proper insert, are important. But the manufacturing process of rubber tires back then is a lot differen then it is now, due to some amount of regulation, that they just cant' compete. I recommend trying a pair of the oldschool kiks for yourself, and you will see
Quote:
Originally Posted by silden View Post
Tires have improved in the past 10 years to accommodate the rare chemical which is not available any more. A rubber softener I believe.
This is the reason why the good "OLD SCHOOL" tires still perform better then current ones.
I believe it was more like a chemical that got banned from major production, which I think has happened in a few industries now, bad side being it was something that made tyres a lot better.

Bring back foam, it's what we run at our track, and it's epic...
www.myrcm.ch/main?pLa=en&hId[1]=org&dId[O]=4331
Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:38 AM   #49
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racing4Evo View Post
Take Off 27s out of stock, when will they be back Captn'
Maybe soon.. maybe never. As soon as I posted the info about the 27s and yokomos here, I think we sold like 100 sets, and we were cleaned out! Brett didn't even save any extra sets for me!

He is actively trying to secure more sources, but it takes time.
- RCSpecialties -
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:53 AM   #50
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silden View Post
Tires have improved in the past 10 years to accommodate the rare chemical which is not available any more. A rubber softener I believe.
This is the reason why the good "OLD SCHOOL" tires still perform better then current ones.
There was a chemical produced until the mid 2000's made primarily for the Japanese military for use in waterproofing materials. It was also an important component of the rubber compounds in Sorex, Yokomo and TakeOff tires. The Japanese government stopped using this compound as it was not good for the environment. The R/C tire market was not large enough for the manufacturer to continue production. Sorex bought a ton of the material, TakeOff bought a lot less and ran out before they found a new rubber formulation. They tried a quick fix and it was not ideal. These were the 2007+ tires mentioned before. Sorex found a good alternative compound, used up the original material, switched to the new stuff and didn't skip a beat.

The new tires I am talking about are using new rubber compounds. They are prototypes now. Compounds are being finalized and samples will be in test driver hands in early August. The goals of testing are to develop a tire with a balance of traction and steering than can hold consistent lap time for 3-4 runs on asphalt in a Mod sedan and 2x as long in spec classes. Carpet tire life will probably be VERY long.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:05 PM   #51
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

This sounds good.
When the will be out on the marked?
And who will be distribute those here in the US?

Last edited by silden; 07-12-2013 at 10:23 AM.
silden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:02 PM   #52
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

In short, I am sitting on a small gold mine at home. I thought I was one of few who actually likes CS-27s.

Mr. Shookie goes home 10-06-08. Bill Levinson 4-14-15
F. Mendoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:12 PM   #53
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by locked View Post
Hey Mike. Another factor to take into consideration is that on that temporary track, grip levels rise quickly throughout the day, so each run as the day goes on will usually be a fair bit quicker than the previous ones. I tried sorex 24 for Q1 and they were pretty good, but I think by Q2 they would have given me troubles, so I switched to 28s for the rest of the day.

In the A-main, grip levels rose to the point where Adam traction rolled and that allowed me to take the win.

It is interesting data, but there are several variables that could make it unreliable.
totally. i didn't say it was scientific. after only running 5 "timed" qualifiers between mod and stock this is all back of the envelope type stuff. i would of like to see how my awesomatix car performed in big grip -- but i think it would have been good. i'm going to make sure to run these sorex tires indoors on a "high bite" sxt-based track just to see what happens. that will hopefully be by the end of the month.
FJ / ROAR #2-122945 / MaxRotation FPV Drone Racing / [email protected] Awesomatix USA / Wild Turbo Fan / Mon-Tech Racing / RocheRC USA / Side Piece /
LRP / John's BSR Tires / TeamEAM / TQ Wire / R1 / Team Scream / PCR / MIX
RacerLog wiki Awesomatix A700 / 2wd offroad 4 life
hanulec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:49 PM   #54
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Tires

If you think cs27s are impressive try rp 30s on carpet. Even a bad setup car is fast. I tried some of the new pit tires being imported and they are nothing like the old ones.
AARON YOUNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:27 PM   #55
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.America View Post
Maybe soon.. maybe never. As soon as I posted the info about the 27s and yokomos here, I think we sold like 100 sets, and we were cleaned out! Brett didn't even save any extra sets for me!

He is actively trying to secure more sources, but it takes time.
So what tires are left in stock? Sorex seems to be the ticket where I race, med-high bite outdoor asphalt. What would you try that you have left that could be better?

Thanks
Authorized Dealer for /Agama / Tekno / Team Associated / Schelle / Hobbywing / PT Racing Shock & Diff oil / Serpent / Tekin / JConcepts / AKA / Proline / Savox / M2C / Picco / Raceform Jigs/ Proamps Servos-Lipos www.fiercercsolutions.com Like us on facebook www.facebook.com/FierceRCSolutions
FastPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:22 PM   #56
Tech Apprentice

Agree with most people that Sorex is the best out of the box, but performance does drop pretty quickly....
E36M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:46 PM   #57
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanulec View Post
totally. i didn't say it was scientific. after only running 5 "timed" qualifiers between mod and stock this is all back of the envelope type stuff. i would of like to see how my awesomatix car performed in big grip -- but i think it would have been good. i'm going to make sure to run these sorex tires indoors on a "high bite" sxt-based track just to see what happens. that will hopefully be by the end of the month.
I had very similar results indoor as you described. I tried sorex 28 with JB blue insert tho (the carpet spec) I assume you tried yellow? In 17.5 the JB blues are nice because they are so light.

The only problem I had was traction roll, and the tires started cracking on the sides real quick, so I had to CA the side wall.
napoleon1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:07 AM   #58
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastPete View Post
So what tires are left in stock? Sorex seems to be the ticket where I race, med-high bite outdoor asphalt. What would you try that you have left that could be better?

Thanks
The sorex sold by RCS are also very good... but there is just something about the way the old school rubber was manufactured that is missing from tires made today. If you can get your hands on a set of original yokomos or takeoffs... grab as many as you can.

Don't forget to check/change your ride height when changing tire/wheel combos. The old schools were a slightly smaller diameter.
- RCSpecialties -
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:36 PM   #59
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The only tire that could match Sorex in out right pace was RP30... I run Sorex for most of my club racing on asphalt or carpet....

Every other tire brand i've tried have been decent but just lacks the forward bite when compared to sorex. Sorex 28 has been the go to tire at our local carpet track so it is generally a Spec tire by default...
Old 07-11-2013, 02:19 PM   #60
Tech Master

Does anybody actually know the mysterious "Chemical" that is missing from the new tires? Considering the 1000s of Environmentally unfriendly chemicals that are produced in China and India today, it shouldn't be too hard to get someone to make it again.
patorz31 is offline   Reply With Quote