R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-05-2013, 04:25 PM   #16
Tech Master
 
locked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,758
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.America View Post
The fastest tires on the market, are no longer on the market. But you CAN still get them.

Take-off 27s or Yokomo 138s, or 139s. On my tracks around here, they are worth .3 or .5 + per lap (18 second laps) over a fresh set of sorexs, and are many times longer lasting. With a modern production TC rubber tire, you cannot race head to head against a comperable driver running these tires. You wont be able to keep up.

http://www.rcspeedshop.net/old-school-kicks.html
I haven't used any tires that work better than sorex yet, but I have heard good things about take-off 27s before, so I just ordered some to try out. Hope you get commissions, Captain.
locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:13 PM   #17
Super Moderator
 
Cpt.America's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Washington State
Posts: 11,081
Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by locked View Post
I haven't used any tires that work better than sorex yet, but I have heard good things about take-off 27s before, so I just ordered some to try out. Hope you get commissions, Captain.
You are going to have guys coming up to you wondering what the heck you did to your car... trust me But no.. no commission. Just lucky enough to be sponsored by Brett Sisly (team schumacher), the guy that runs the company. Around here, you compete with Brett's tires, or you don't compete (well you know.. you can still do totally well on other tires, but these provide quite an edge)

The cool thing about the 27s and the 138/139s, is that we run them in the cooler mornings, and hotter afternoons, and they hook up perfect in both conditions... after run #5 or 6, they look like a 2 run sorex. (i.e... the physical wear on the tire seems to take 3x longer to happen then anything being made today)
__________________
A big thanks to my sponsors:
- Fantom Racing - www.fantomracing.com -
- Fusion Graphix- www.fusiongraphix.com -
- RCSpecialties -
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:25 PM   #18
Tech Elite
 
Skiddins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Windsor, UK
Posts: 4,760
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.America View Post
The fastest tires on the market, are no longer on the market. But you CAN still get them.

Take-off 27s or Yokomo 138s, or 139s. On my tracks around here, they are worth .3 or .5 + per lap (18 second laps) over a fresh set of sorexs, and are many times longer lasting. With a modern production TC rubber tire, you cannot race head to head against a comperable driver running these tires. You wont be able to keep up.

http://www.rcspeedshop.net/old-school-kicks.html
I don't think it's just the tyres, but also the inserts that matter a lot.

The current BRCA national tyre is the most popular, partly because it's a few cheaper than most others and partly because with it's current yellow insert it's quicker than the same tyres and wheels with the previous grey inserts they used to use.

No longer have any CS22's or 27's as they were just too old so got thrown out.

Skiddins
__________________
Xray T4'18, T4'14 (Wet Car)
Xray X12 2018
Xray X1'16
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:32 PM   #19
Super Moderator
 
Cpt.America's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Washington State
Posts: 11,081
Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddins View Post
I don't think it's just the tyres, but also the inserts that matter a lot.

The current BRCA national tyre is the most popular, partly because it's a few cheaper than most others and partly because with it's current yellow insert it's quicker than the same tyres and wheels with the previous grey inserts they used to use.

No longer have any CS22's or 27's as they were just too old so got thrown out.

Skiddins
Thats correct... choosing a wheel that has the flex c haracteristics you are looking for, and the proper insert, are important. But the manufacturing process of rubber tires back then is a lot differen then it is now, due to some amount of regulation, that they just cant' compete. I recommend trying a pair of the oldschool kiks for yourself, and you will see
__________________
A big thanks to my sponsors:
- Fantom Racing - www.fantomracing.com -
- Fusion Graphix- www.fusiongraphix.com -
- RCSpecialties -
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:31 PM   #20
Tech Regular
 
Dragobrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 275
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default rubber degradation

Skiddins commented that he had some cs27's but they were too old and he threw them out..

Could it be a risk buying the cs27's that are available? based on their shelf life age.
I presume they were manufactured a long time ago.?

How fast do rubber tires degrade in storage?
Dragobrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:14 PM   #21
Super Moderator
 
Cpt.America's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Washington State
Posts: 11,081
Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragobrat View Post
Skiddins commented that he had some cs27's but they were too old and he threw them out..

Could it be a risk buying the cs27's that are available? based on their shelf life age.
I presume they were manufactured a long time ago.?

How fast do rubber tires degrade in storage?
These tires that Brett Sisley is selling are STELLAR. They look and feel like they were manufactured yesterday. Contact him through his website and and questions about the tires if you need more info... The entire point of what he is doing, is to get better tires on people's cars, to improve performance... that's it.
__________________
A big thanks to my sponsors:
- Fantom Racing - www.fantomracing.com -
- Fusion Graphix- www.fusiongraphix.com -
- RCSpecialties -
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:34 PM   #22
Tech Master
 
big al's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Olympia,Wa
Posts: 1,026
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

I have a set of cs-27's that I bought for a nationals race in '00 or '01. I think that was also the first time I met Brett. I put them on for fun (practice) a few weeks ago and they ran pretty well. It was pretty cool. I'll give them a qualifier at the next Fantasy world.
big al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:32 PM   #23
Super Moderator
 
Cpt.America's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Washington State
Posts: 11,081
Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by big al View Post
I have a set of cs-27's that I bought for a nationals race in '00 or '01. I think that was also the first time I met Brett. I put them on for fun (practice) a few weeks ago and they ran pretty well. It was pretty cool. I'll give them a qualifier at the next Fantasy world.
Come visit us under our EZups at the next FW race and lets chat it up. Brett really knows his stuff, and we will have a ton of different tires to look at, and you can buy them right from Brett, or sometimes Dave has some of his tires to sell too. He can explain, in much better detail than I, why and how the yokomos and CSs are so much better.
__________________
A big thanks to my sponsors:
- Fantom Racing - www.fantomracing.com -
- Fusion Graphix- www.fusiongraphix.com -
- RCSpecialties -
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:45 PM   #24
Tech Master
 
theatriks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,620
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

If there in limited supply why would we need them ....you will only be faster until they run out ....then its back to Sorex lol
__________________
Mod Mod Mod...I love Mod.....and scotch!
theatriks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:03 AM   #25
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 972
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Are these any good on carpet? I find it hard to believe that tires haven't improved in 10 years.
__________________
Team Serpent
Steve S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:33 AM   #26
Tech Addict
 
silden's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 682
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Tires have improved in the past 10 years to accommodate the rare chemical which is not available any more. A rubber softener I believe.
This is the reason why the good "OLD SCHOOL" tires still perform better then current ones.
silden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 04:06 PM   #27
Tech Addict
 
chasingthepack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: hanworth uk
Posts: 728
Default

i picked up a set of volante 32r and will be testing these tomorrow,they have a slighty smaller air gap to the sorex ,has anyone else tried these?
i have 3 new sets to put back to back
an old but new set of cs27's,the ones with the dot(team specials i was led to believe)
new set of sorex 32r
and the volante's
i have another set of cs27's but i dont have any wheels to build them up,i still have my old hara grey inserts which were the insert of choice,ill give them ago soon
__________________
yokomo bd7 16_lrp works team-trinity d4 17.5_futaba 4pks_futaba bls
wet/damp car xray t4-14-r10 pro-team wave 17.5 savox 1251
chasingthepack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 04:25 PM   #28
Super Moderator
 
Cpt.America's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Washington State
Posts: 11,081
Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
I find it hard to believe that tires haven't improved in 10 years.
you'd think... but nope. quite the contrary.
__________________
A big thanks to my sponsors:
- Fantom Racing - www.fantomracing.com -
- Fusion Graphix- www.fusiongraphix.com -
- RCSpecialties -
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:36 PM   #29
Tech Regular
 
Dragobrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 275
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingthepack View Post
i picked up a set of volante 32r and will be testing these tomorrow,they have a slighty smaller air gap to the sorex ,has anyone else tried these?
i have 3 new sets to put back to back
an old but new set of cs27's,the ones with the dot(team specials i was led to believe)
new set of sorex 32r
and the volante's
i have another set of cs27's but i dont have any wheels to build them up,i still have my old hara grey inserts which were the insert of choice,ill give them ago soon
Hi, I am looking forward to reading your review.
Dragobrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:08 PM   #30
Tech Champion
 
F. Mendoza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: SoCal
Posts: 7,232
Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.America View Post
The fastest tires on the market, are no longer on the market. But you CAN still get them.

Take-off 27s or Yokomo 138s, or 139s. On my tracks around here, they are worth .3 or .5 + per lap (18 second laps) over a fresh set of sorexs, and are many times longer lasting. With a modern production TC rubber tire, you cannot race head to head against a comperable driver running these tires. You wont be able to keep up.

http://www.rcspeedshop.net/old-school-kicks.html
I still have a couple sets NIP. I can consider my self lucky. I run the CS-27s outdoors during the cold months. They usually work well. The rims are harder to clean because they are porous.
__________________
RC America - Xray - Hudy - Gravity RC - KO Propo - Super Rad Graphics

Mr. Shookie goes home 10-06-08. Bill Levinson 4-14-15
F. Mendoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 12:06 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net