R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-02-2013, 10:51 AM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart View Post
You have to to question the quality of the batteries that some companies are selling when they have to test their batteries to find the good ones. When you have your batteries manufactured by a reputable LiPo battery manufacturer, there are no bad ones. And definitely don't waste money on "battery testing".

Be wary of fancy names and marketing like "extreme" and "sting". C ratings and capacities can be exaggerated and plain incorrect. Choose a reputable brand that stands behind their product and will be there if you have questions or problems.

And look for facts. Someone saying one is better that the other doesn't mean anything unless they can tell you why.
Your right there is no standard for C ratings with any battery company.
This is why I don't look at discharging C ratings.

I do all my own testing. I'm not sponsored by any battery company.

I use an icharger duo tested alot of battery packs with real time IR measurements.

Tested cheap packs to your most expensive packs.

I look for lower IR and longer higher voltage times.
When I do testing I have the room set at a controlled temperature.

I found that temperature effects IR.
Mr RCTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:00 AM   #17
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
When you have your batteries manufactured by a reputable LiPo battery manufacturer, there are no bad ones. And definitely don't waste money on "battery testing".
Are Reedy batteries manufactured by a reputable LiPO battery manufacturer? This past winter, I purchased a brand new 1S Reedy LiPO pack from a reputable online retailer that came puffed/swelled out of the box.

Quote:
Choose a reputable brand that stands behind their product and will be there if you have questions or problems.
My call into AE/Reedy customer support to remedy this situation was less than stellar. They offered a discount on a new pack. Fortunately, the reputable online retailer took care of the situation when they weren't obligated to do so.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:09 AM   #18
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.C View Post
Are Reedy batteries manufactured by a reputable LiPO battery manufacturer? This past winter, I purchased a brand new 1S Reedy LiPO pack from a reputable online retailer that came puffed/swelled out of the box.

My call into AE/Reedy customer support to remedy this situation was less than stellar. They offered a discount on a new pack. Fortunately, the reputable online retailer took care of the situation when they weren't obligated to do so.
By no "bad" batteries you knew I meant the difference between batteries. If you received a bad battery (defective), you should have been offered a new one assuming that you you either had the purchase receipt or the battery was returned (or photographed) and indeed new.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:14 AM   #19
Suspended

Reedy's 7000mAh 65C LiPo is designed for the serious racer who can take advantage of the extra power output and run time created by this battery.So is the best battery.

Regards.
Andy.
Andy159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:05 AM   #20
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr RCTech View Post
Your right there is no standard for C ratings with any battery company.
This is why I don't look at discharging C ratings.

I do all my own testing. I'm not sponsored by any battery company.

I use an icharger duo tested alot of battery packs with real time IR measurements.

Tested cheap packs to your most expensive packs.

I look for lower IR and longer higher voltage times.
When I do testing I have the room set at a controlled temperature.

I found that temperature effects IR.
Whjat do you define as low IR numbers on a pack?
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:45 AM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy159 View Post
Reedy's 7000mAh 65C LiPo is designed for the serious racer who can take advantage of the extra power output and run time created by this battery.So is the best battery.

Regards.
Andy.
Do you copy things from the Manufacturers website and post it? Or have you tested multiple and come to this conclusion?
Old 07-03-2013, 08:54 AM   #22
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddins View Post
Whjat do you define as low IR numbers on a pack?
Single digit IR.

I recommend Sting packs. The batteries can be charged at a higher C rating as per manufacture without any ill effects.

Last edited by Mr RCTech; 07-03-2013 at 09:29 AM.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:07 AM   #23
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
By no "bad" batteries you knew I meant the difference between batteries. If you received a bad battery (defective), you should have been offered a new one assuming that you you either had the purchase receipt or the battery was returned (or photographed) and indeed new.
Quick question, do you balance charge your Reedy packs every time? I have an ongoing debate with a fellow racer at my track who says that balance charging Reedy packs every time is bad for the packs. First time I've ever heard that claim.

**** "Luxury" ****
EricW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:07 PM   #24
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricW View Post
Quick question, do you balance charge your Reedy packs every time? I have an ongoing debate with a fellow racer at my track who says that balance charging Reedy packs every time is bad for the packs. First time I've ever heard that claim.
I asked Paul Lemieux that same question and he said you don't need to balance every charge, just after every 2-3 runs balance charge your lipos.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:21 PM   #25
Tech Initiate

Quote:
You don't need to balance charge every time, but if you do there should be absolutely no ill-effects. Balancing ensures that each cell gets charged to it's capacity individually.
Fast Little Car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:35 PM   #26
Tech Elite

Quote:
I always balance charge my batteries. Balance charging every time will not negatively affect the battery in any way. Neither will only doing it every few charges.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:07 PM   #27
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

From what ive heard and researched is that there is only 3 places in the whole world that makes lipo batteries.....so who cares what make you by chances are it comes from the same manufacturing plant.....i have also heard that some places can sell there lipos cheapers then others because they own an assembly line in the lipo plant.....please correct me if im wrong but if only 3 places in the whole world make lipos....dont you think a lot of different brands are coming from the same plant and are the same battery just with a different sticker on it?
Old 07-03-2013, 02:45 PM   #28
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatriks View Post
From what ive heard and researched is that there is only 3 places in the whole world that makes lipo batteries.....so who cares what make you by chances are it comes from the same manufacturing plant.....i have also heard that some places can sell there lipos cheapers then others because they own an assembly line in the lipo plant.....please correct me if im wrong but if only 3 places in the whole world make lipos....dont you think a lot of different brands are coming from the same plant and are the same battery just with a different sticker on it?
I think you'll find there are some Chinese companies doing some crappy 'copies'

There was a thread quite some time ago, where one of the guys on here also had to inspect the factories that made lipo's etc to check their quality control etc, (think it might have been for medical purposes) who told of some of the terrible factories that used to 'paint' the polymers onto the electrode sheets by hand instead of using the proper technique's.
RCDisco.co.uk

Last edited by Skiddins; 07-03-2013 at 02:58 PM.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:46 PM   #29
Tech Elite

Quote:
I always balance charge my batteries. Balance charging every time will not negatively affect the battery in any way. Neither will only doing it every few charges.
Unless, during those 'few', something goes wrong with one of the cells.

With the blinky drivers starting to up the charge rates to wring a bit more out of their cells, it won't be long before we start seeing who's cells really can take the heat
RCDisco.co.uk
Old 07-03-2013, 02:53 PM   #30
Tech Elite

Quote:
...I have an ongoing debate with a fellow racer at my track who says that balance charging Reedy packs every time is bad for the packs....
Problem is that that is the kind of BS that a newbie might think is correct, so then he doesn't want to balance his cells at all.

Skiddins
RCDisco.co.uk