Tamiya TA-05 VDF 2 convert to touring car >

Tamiya TA-05 VDF 2 convert to touring car

Tamiya TA-05 VDF 2 convert to touring car

Old 06-29-2013, 01:22 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Tamiya TA-05 VDF 2 convert to touring car

Hi guys,

Need some help here. A friend is selling his very slightly used VDF-2, but what i'm looking for is a touring car, is it possible that i convert it to a touring car or the car is totally designed for drifting only?
If it's doable, what should i do? Any part i need to change or just the setup?
Hope you guys can help me since i'm really new into on-road cars.

Thanks a lot in advance for any help i can get.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:25 AM
Tech Master

Tamiya do an ackerman steering set to make it handle more like a touring car.

Other than that you want to just set-up like a touring car so as a rule use harder springs in the front (Tamiya white) softer in the rear (Tamiya Blue or Yellow) and out 40wt oil in the shocks.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

IMO you are wasting your time and money trying to get a drift car to work as a touring car. They have totally different flex characteristics. You will be happier with a car that was designed as a TC.
Old 06-29-2013, 01:13 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks a lot for the heads up guys, but now i'm confused, hope some more peeps will chime in and give more inputs, cheers
Old 06-29-2013, 01:16 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Odin544
IMO you are wasting your time and money trying to get a drift car to work as a touring car. They have totally different flex characteristics. You will be happier with a car that was designed as a TC.
Btw Odin, is it really that big of a difference in terms of parts? Even the chassis is different, or there're many parts that i should change and not worth it to do the conversion? Cuz what i hope is TA also has touring car, maybe it's gonna be a few changes from drift to touring or vice versa.
Old 06-29-2013, 02:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Are you planning on just using it at local races at your track? The whole chassis layout on the Ta05 VDF is designed around drifting (battery layout, motor etc.)
Old 06-29-2013, 09:08 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by H0LESH0T
Are you planning on just using it at local races at your track? The whole chassis layout on the Ta05 VDF is designed around drifting (battery layout, motor etc.)
Thanks a lot for chiming in to help man. Yes i'm planning to just do that, but if the chassis design is different and not easy to convert(many parts and work involved) then i'll just drop the idea and get something else.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:48 PM
Tech Master

What class are you going to race? A guy used to race a VDF (v1) in 17.5 and the car was good. The weight distribution is different to most TC's but that sometimes can help depending on the circuit etc.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:00 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Qatmix
What class are you going to race? A guy used to race a VDF (v1) in 17.5 and the car was good. The weight distribution is different to most TC's but that sometimes can help depending on the circuit etc.
Thanks a ton for chiming in again to help Qatmix, i'm now asking cuz have to decide what to get, the TT-02(have read your great review if you still remember helping me at the TT thread, hehe) or this used one. This is gonna be my first on road car, so really no knowledge at all.
For me, if it's easy to do(and not spend anymore) for the conversion i would like this VDF one, it's used by a friend but it's almost brand new, and of course i don't think i need to upgrade the chassis or parts anymore even in the future cuz it's pretty much upgraded stock(right?). And i'm planning to bash with friends and join club races in the near future, but don't know what class to join yet.
On the other hand, the TT-02 seems very nice, but i don't think i'll get along with it for a long time, i know we have a club race of this class using the stock motors, but i'm sure all of us want to advance, lol.
So i'm really torn apart between the 2, cuz i actually want something that i can use for a long time and don't have to do all the upgrades or get another unit. And for the said VDF 2 the price given to me is really tempting so i started asking about the conversion, lol.
For the TT-02, of course the price is really good, and it seems to run very well(with your reviews), and the ferrari body is really beautiful. Really have to think hard about this, but first wanna know everything asap before deciding.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:06 AM
Tech Master

The VDF can race, its tough but not as tough as the TT02 (nothing else is) it wont be good for rally or sufaces with stones. what club are you going to? What price can you get the car?
Old 06-30-2013, 12:10 AM
Tech Regular

i can get the car for half the price only, and it's been drifted just at home for a few packs. So do you think i better get the TT-02?
Old 06-30-2013, 12:11 AM
Tech Regular

Btw, the track is an asphalt touring race track
Old 06-30-2013, 01:23 AM
Tech Master

If you are racing with a 17.5 motor that would be fine, also at 13.5 it will be better than the TT02. The weight distribution would start to be an issue with faster motors though.

The car will also be much more adjustable, but that might not be the best thing if you are just starting out.

The VDF has a spool in the rear, and a diff in the front, You will need to swap them around for racing (Not a hard job).

You will need this part to replace the steering arms

http://www.rcmart.com/tamiya-84150-t...h=595_744_1479

Again it makes it more like a touring car (They all have ackerman, most high end cars you can adjust it).

The thing is depending if you are going to spend a lot on the VDF car (You could buy a proper racing car).. You will be taking a bit of the risk with the VDF as people dont race it as a rule.

here is the VDF thread take a look
http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...-ta05-vdf.html

also Yeah racing have released an adjustable motor mount for the tt02 which should solve a lot of gearing issues that could hamper the car with 17.5 or VTA racing

see here http://www.thercracer.com/2013/06/ye...tor-mount.html
Old 06-30-2013, 02:29 AM
Tech Regular

Hi Qatmix,

Really a ton of thanks for all the help and advises, really appreciate it man, i'll think about it and decide what to get in a couple of days, but as of now it seems like it's more proper to just get a new TT-02 and start from there, will see.
Btw, may i ask what is VTA?
Old 06-30-2013, 08:27 AM
Tech Master

Its a US racing class, (21.5 motors) Although I race in the UK so 17.5 is the usual class

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.