R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-14-2013, 12:53 PM   #46
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsen-dk View Post
Hi
This coming Winter season we will be running f1 on carpet. 21,5 blinky and on rubber. Think mostly will choose the ride tyres. Any ideas on that choise??
Can you take a picture of the exotek front on your car,please?

Thanks in advance
Michael
I'm pretty new to F1 and I've never used Ride Tires, perhaps someone who has used them can tell us how they compare to the Pits and others.

Here's a couple pics of the Exotek upper arms on my car:

Old 07-15-2013, 04:17 AM   #47
Tech Regular

Last F1 1/10 electric champioship race in Spain was won with a Top Rebel F1 200 mm foams using original front end, and F103 foams against some Corallys.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:28 AM   #48
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Did someone "upgrade" to a six wheeler?
Old 07-15-2013, 02:54 PM   #49
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I have been working on this car a little bit recently, but am still struggling with getting it to turn. Right now, using Pardus tires to prepare for IIC, it seems like the car has a lot of corner entry steering, but absolutely no mid-to-exit steering. On power steering is also lacking, despite having minimal front droop. My setup is as follows:

Pardus tires
AE Blue center, stock TOP gold sides.
50k tube lube, 40wt shock oil.
No pod droop.
Tamiya F104 front end, 2 degree camber, offset blocks. ~1mm of front droop.

Has anybody experienced similar issues? If so, how did you cure them?

Destiny | LRP America | Protoform | Xenon/JFT | Gravity RC | Motiv | Sanwa | Max.FX
LloydLoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:23 PM   #50
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydLoar View Post
I have been working on this car a little bit recently, but am still struggling with getting it to turn. Right now, using Pardus tires to prepare for IIC, it seems like the car has a lot of corner entry steering, but absolutely no mid-to-exit steering. On power steering is also lacking, despite having minimal front droop. My setup is as follows:

Pardus tires
AE Blue center, stock TOP gold sides.
50k tube lube, 40wt shock oil.
No pod droop.
Tamiya F104 front end, 2 degree camber, offset blocks. ~1mm of front droop.

Has anybody experienced similar issues? If so, how did you cure them?
You might try 2mm front droop and 2.5 in the rear. Add the TOP cooper center spring with same side springs. Front ride height of 3.5/4mm rear. Oh yea 30 weight in shock and 20k in the tube add 1mm shim under the outside ball connector and be sure to add 1degree of toe out.
tdu verney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:20 AM   #51
Tech Master

Put a lot of packs through this car this past weekend and think I made a bit of progress. Reduced front droop and it helped a lot with mid to out steering, especially when combined with a super stiff center spring.

Biggest problem now is that the car wants to traction roll at the end of the straight on sweeper off. What can I try to reduce how edgy the car feels and also prevent it from traction rolling?

Tires are glued full sidewall on the outside. 50k tube lube with AE black side springs. Will thicker tube lube help? If so, where can I get 75 or 100k tube lube?

Car feels great in the infield, but pucker factor is high at the end of the straight.

Destiny | LRP America | Protoform | Xenon/JFT | Gravity RC | Motiv | Sanwa | Max.FX
Old 07-22-2013, 09:32 AM   #52
Tech Adept

Try AE front springs .018...
Old 07-22-2013, 09:38 AM   #53
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydLoar View Post
Put a lot of packs through this car this past weekend and think I made a bit of progress. Reduced front droop and it helped a lot with mid to out steering, especially when combined with a super stiff center spring.

Biggest problem now is that the car wants to traction roll at the end of the straight on sweeper off. What can I try to reduce how edgy the car feels and also prevent it from traction rolling?

Tires are glued full sidewall on the outside. 50k tube lube with AE black side springs. Will thicker tube lube help? If so, where can I get 75 or 100k tube lube?

Car feels great in the infield, but pucker factor is high at the end of the straight.
Never had one of these but you might try thinner lube. It might let it roll more. That's what you do with a sedan anyways.

"This T-bird will put a spell on you"
Mr.A Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:25 AM   #54
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.A Morris View Post
Never had one of these but you might try thinner lube. It might let it roll more. That's what you do with a sedan anyways.
That actually seemed to make it worse. Going thicker also matches what you would do with a WGT car, for whatever little that is worth with these rubber-tired monstrosities.

Current front springs are the softest Tamiya, but I can try AE .18s.

Old 07-23-2013, 02:41 PM   #55
Tech Adept

Oh and add 50k diff lube to the king pins... helps the .018 springs, and I'm told 30k is the way to go for tubes on a rug. One more thing to consider, make the tube flatter. It's on the setup sheet.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:31 PM   #56
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Alrighty - this is about as good as it is going to get for this weekend UF1 at Tamiya USA (Asphalt).

Starting with.

FRONT
Stock Tamiya F104 front end
.018 springs, no lube
Tamiya Offset front spindles - rear hole, swept back
2 degrees camber
1.5 droop
PIT Hard

REAR

TOP Silver center with 35wt
TOP Gold side
2mm droop
No pod sag
PIT Soft

FULL PACK

The biggest different in getting more rear side-bite and better forward drive was following ODs suggestion of swapping out the thrust bearing. Steel replacement was the way to go. The diff is as good as other Tamiya axles previously built.

Wont know until Sat how it all works on the track but feels pretty good with some shake down runs.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:47 PM   #57
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDawson View Post
Alrighty - this is about as good as it is going to get for this weekend UF1 at Tamiya USA (Asphalt)...

Wont know until Sat how it all works on the track but feels pretty good with some shake down runs.
Good luck! Our next F1 race is at the new indoor asphalt track at Delta RC Aug 10. Bite is reported as high so the TOP cars should be lovin it. The search for rear traction will be postponed

Last edited by odpurple; 07-25-2013 at 03:00 PM.
odpurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:53 PM   #58
Tech Master

Quote:
Alrighty - this is about as good as it is going to get for this weekend UF1 at Tamiya USA (Asphalt).
Hey Mark, can you explain the difference in measurement between pod droop and pod sag? With pod sag are you lifting up on the center shock and measuring up-travel from normal ride height? And with pod droop you have the car on blocks and you measure the height of the lower pod plate where the wing attaches?

Or do I have them swapped?

I have made significant improvement with my car on carpet but I don't think it is quite good enough to share yet, as I am still trying to figure things out.

Old 07-25-2013, 03:15 PM   #59
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Per the TOP Facebook page, a Rebel F1 finished 2nd overall for the ETS series! 3rd at the last race.

"This T-bird will put a spell on you"
Mr.A Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:52 PM   #60
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wagnerov Send a message via Yahoo to wagnerov

Quote:
The biggest different in getting more rear side-bite and better forward drive was following ODs suggestion of swapping out the thrust bearing. Steel replacement was the way to go. The diff is as good as other Tamiya axles previously built.
Which thrust bearing are you using? I haven't gotten anything else to fit or work right in there except for the stock stuff, where if you sneeze on the locknut it is either too loose or too tight. Not that that's a bad thing because one gets it right eventually; I just prefer the Tamiya setup with belleville washers and a thrust bearing race where there is a finer adjustment IMO.

Your setup for the front is identical to what I'm running at Nor-Cal with the exception of tires, 571 softs for me. I run 0 toe now and no center-point steering, whereas I ran up to -1 before with CPS. If the traction starts degrading halfway through the day I switch to .020's and add a little bit of droop to the rear pod.

The rear is a whole 'nother story though: it's set up around the hard tires (softs if we are at Ripon or a parking lot). I spent a day for testing two weeks ago and wish I'd done that before the Reedy!

One of these days I need to make a trip to LA to race UF1 with you guys.