R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-31-2005, 08:56 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Tamiya Championship Series First Timer

I want to run in the 2006 Tamiya Championship Series at at least one track next year and want some advice on how to do it. I'm not a rookie to R/C anymore, but I am a rookie to organized racing, having run only 10 weeks or so during the winter with electric stadium trucks on carpet.

I basically want to have a goal in this hobby, rather than just wander from stadium trucks to touring cars to monster trucks, etc. And, from what I've seen and heard about the Tamiya Championship Series, that's what I picked for my goal. I'm not expecting to win, but want to be competitive.

My 10 year old son will also be running, so my plan is to finish a TL-01 for him to run in the Spec class. I am currently planning on running a TB-02 in the GT-3 class (mainly so he and I are in separate classes so I can watch him and vice versa).

So, here's my question: Assuming I already have a decent radio (JR FM synthesized) , and a peak charger (Duratrax Intelli-peak), AND I want to limit myself to say $350, how should I spend my money?

TB-02 kit, $170, so I have $180 left, should I spend it on: hop-ups, better batteries (I have stick pack 3,000 mAh packs, are they too heavy, will I only need 1,900 mAh or 2,400 mAh?, not good enough?,...), a higher end charger?, a high end speed control?, a selection of tires and inserts?, a variety of springs, shocks with different weight oil?,....

Let me know how you'd spend the $180, and/or if you'd go with a TA instead of a TB (and why). Thanks in advance for any advice.
Hawk6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 05:44 AM   #2
Tech Master

Also, what are the best bodies for downforce?

Thanks again.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:37 AM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk6

TB-02 kit, $170, so I have $180 left, should I spend it on: hop-ups, better batteries (I have stick pack 3,000 mAh packs, are they too heavy, will I only need 1,900 mAh or 2,400 mAh?, not good enough?,...), a higher end charger?, a high end speed control?, a selection of tires and inserts?, a variety of springs, shocks with different weight oil?,....

Let me know how you'd spend the $180, and/or if you'd go with a TA instead of a TB (and why). Thanks in advance for any advice.

I would buy the TB02R then you dont need any hop ups for the car. you can spend the money other stuff as you feel you need it ,a good esc is always a good thing to have , as for batteries for the first while I think you will be fine with the stick packs i think GT3 is a silver can class so basicly its all down to driver and not making any mistakes.
snopro31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 12:06 PM   #4
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang

Hawk6-I did my first TCs race this spring.

First off the races are really fun and the traveling circus of TCS regulars are a lot of fun to hang out with and race with. I found them all to be very helpful as well.

OK-onto the car. ONe of the best ways to get a competitive TCS race car is to buy a used Tamiya car thats equipped for TCS racing already. Thats what I did.

I bought a used TB02 that was very tricked out-but totally TCS legal and I ran it in GT2 class. Going used easily saved me $200.

It sounds like you want to run GT3 or TL01 spec class and those classes run very basic-unhopped upped cars for the most part (some GT3 cars can be very tricked out and expensive though).

As for tires and inserts-well-the best place to go for that info is right here. Explain the type of track, temperature expected and the guys on rctech should be able to get you close. No matter what class-I am thhnking a good matched 3300 stick pack is the way to go. I dont think the SMC matched stick packs are too expensive. I loaned one of my unmatched smc stick packs to a guy and he won the B-Main F1 race with it.

As for the TB02 vs the TA04-well some things come to mind.

1-TA04 is lighter
2-TA04 has unlimited gearing choices (TB02 has fixed ratios that are quite largely spaced).
3-TB02 is shaft drive and has a very free drivetrain out of the box
4-TB02 stripps out the front crown gear with a one-way installed-and even sometimes with a diff.
5-They both use the same suspension
6-They are both fast and popular at the TCS events.
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 04:22 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Hi Hawk! I am wondering what track would be your choice for running TCS. Is Trackside the closest? If so, The GT3 class as well as all the others are very competitive. We have a large group of TCS regulars who focus on this race.

If you do plan on running up here, it's carpet and pretty much the type A tires with a soft insert works well. The bodys you should consider are the newer NSX ( 2002-2004 ) , 360 Modena and C5 Corvette. The C5 and NSX will give you the least amount of drag for the GT3 class, 360 For more downforce(traction). The NSX is the most popular around here. As far as chassis go, the TA04 or TB02 are the best choices. Like Ray said though you may want to look at a well equiped used car. His points on the cars are also things to consider. The TA04 won GT3 this year and the TB02 won the GT2 class over my TA04 so they are both very good here. As far as $ spending, some hop ups are needed to tune your car like springs and shocks and susp. parts. best to get good voltage batteries for the Silver can motors though. Also do research on how to break them in, mant different ways like water dipping and such.

And my final note is that there are new things on the horizon like the TA05 and 430 body, so things may change a little by the time next year comes around.

If you aren't too far from Milwaukee, come on up and try put our track. AND we'll be willing to help you out.

Mike
Old 06-01-2005, 05:51 PM   #6
Tech Master

Thanks for the replies.

I'm not opposed to buying a used car, and I believe that would be the most cost effective way to get all the hop-ups. Where would I find one? E-Bay is the obvious answer, anywhere else? On the other hand, I do enjoy building cars, so I was looking forward to building a kit.

The TB-02R is better, but when you add in a motor and a body, it probably takes me to $275, which is close to my artificial limit of $350. I'm thinking I'd rather have a more basic car (the stock TB-02 plus maybe sway bars? for about $200) and be able to afford a selection of tires, springs, maybe another set of shocks with a different weight oil in them, etc.

Yes, I'm close to Trackside, about 2 hours away. I'll be up this weekend to build a deck on my mom's house. If both my brothers help and I get done in time, my plan was to get to Trackside to practice with my son and his TL-01 Nissan 350Z, and maybe buy a TB-02 from the store if they have them in stock. So if you see a silver or metallic blue 350Z on the track (I plan on painting it tomorrow and we haven't decided the color yet), stop by and say hi.

Keep all the advice coming, it is much appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:35 PM   #7
Tech Adept

Default CS this year??

Mike,
Is Scotty going to be running a TCS race this year?
I didn't see it on the calandar of up comming events

Thanks
Jon
www.ccugolf.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 05:04 PM   #8
Tech Master

Default Spec Class

I'd like some advice on my son's Spec class car. He has a TL-01 built and ready to go (bearings, oils shocks, adjustable tie rods).

Two main questions: tires and batteries.

I think there are three choices for tires: radials, semi-slicks, slicks. What's recommended? We'll be racing on carpet at Trackside.

What about batteries? The TL-01 only accepts stick packs I believe.

I'm not looking to outspend everyone in hopes that the most money wins, but I don't want my son to be at a disadvantage either.

If I go out and buy a couple good stick packs, what do you recommend - 3,000, 3,300, 3,600, 3,700, 3,800 (will the bigger cells even fit in a TL-01?)?

Should I spend $$$ on mAh or volts? 3,800 mAH "sport packs", or 3,300 mAHh 1.185 Volts? Or, something else?

Also, is the lightweight drive shaft worth getting?

Thanks in advance for you advice.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:17 PM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

You have PM!

Light wight shaft good if ok in rules and the better the voltage usually the better the power from a Mabuchi! Run time is nothing for the class. Also check to see if they fit and make them stick packs.
Mike
Old 12-19-2005, 06:14 PM   #10
jw
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by www.ccugolf.com
Mike,
Is Scotty going to be running a TCS race this year?
I didn't see it on the calandar of up comming events

Thanks
Jon
Hi Jon,
I'm not Mike but my avatar sort of looks like him.
The Tamiya race at Trackside will be a two day event on March 4th and 5th.
John
jw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 06:30 PM   #11
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Big Daddy Boomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw
Hi Jon,
I'm not Mike but my avatar sort of looks like him.
John
Hmmm it must be a virus so does mine

Boomer
Big Daddy Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 09:08 PM   #12
Tech Champion

I will prepare my car like this If I were you :

Use longer screws for weak area
TRF shock dampers
Tamiya spring set : red, yellow, blue, white
TRF plastic ball connectors and turnbuckles
Tamiya Super Slick tires with medium inserts ( 2 sets : heats + finals )
Full ball bearings
Grease the gears completely
Bring extra spare parts like suspension arms, uprights, knuckle, wheel axle, etc.

Buy two decent chargers like novak ionic or lrp pulsar competition 2, and
6 battery packs, hopefullly gp3300 stick packs.

Why so many ? You need to share with your kid remember. You won't have enough time to share 1 charger serving 2 person.

Good luck, I hope you win !!!

Last edited by asw7576; 12-19-2005 at 09:22 PM.
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 09:23 PM   #13
Tech Master

Thanks for the advice.

For my son's car in Spec class, we have a TL01 Nissan 350Z body.

The spec class has limited hop-ups, so I think some of the things you mention are not legal for it.

Are 2 sets of tires really needed for the spec class?? They have to be kit type tires, so I was assuming they are relatively hard?

I have a TB-02 for myself for GT3. I'll take your advice on that one.

Thanks again.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:43 PM   #14
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk6
Also, what are the best bodies for downforce?

Thanks again.
NSX ( 1st choice )
350ZX ( 2nd )

Marked your battery 1,2,3 so you won't confuse during the race.
batt #1 = for heat 1, final 1
batt #2 = for heat 2, final 2
and so on.

I suggest to go practice on friday and saturday to find the correct setup. Most TCS participants are willing to give you setup for the track. Practice slow first so you get acquintance with your car handling and track condition.

Here is my basic setup if the track is smooth asphalt with medium grip :
3 holes piston front and rear, or 2 holes piston front, 3 holes piston rear.
blue spring front, yellow spring rear.
40 weight oil.
2 o rings inside the shock for front, 1 o rings for rear
adjust the spring collar so you get 5mm ride height for front, 6mm / 7mm for rear.

Cycle your battery at least once one night before race, so you get the most power from new cells on the next day. You need to buy Dean's bulb discharger.
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 07:49 AM   #15
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Having set up my 13 year old son's class-winning TL-01 for 2005 Trackside race (and 2nd place in 2004), I suggest:

3300's: they are lighter, you won't come close to using it's capacity with a mabuchi. Volatage is about the same for good 3300 to 3800's when using with a low amp draw motor like a mabuchi.

Your are limited to the kit springs, but oil shocks are a must
Shocks should be set up with orings internally to reduce droop - try 2 or 3 inside the shock to start. Oil at around 80 front, 40 wt rear, 2 hole pistons.

Tires: This is a bit of trial and error, all three are pretty much the same, but we found that the non slick versions are a bit better traction on the carpet. I would suggest that the front inserts be one grade stiffer than the rears - we used HPI green inserts in front, red in back. These tires really wear practically forever on carpet.

Do yourself a favor and pick up the hard annodized alum pinion that Tamiya used to make - 19 tooth is the required size. The standard issue pinion is a piece of junk that wears way to quickly. If you can't locate one (they are discontinued, but I think www.valavala.com still has some) I have an extra I could sell you.

As for the lightweight driveshaft, that is a new option for this year for the Spec class - it wasn't legal last year. But as the driveshaft is THE heaviest part of the drivetrain in this car, it stands to reason that it should be a big plus for acceleration to have the lightweight version.

Finally, since I have barred my son from running Spec this year (time to move up to GT-3 or GT2), we have his TL-01 chassis from last year available for sale. Setup includes a TL-01LA rolling chassis with ball bearings, completely set up and TCS legal, (no electronics) plus extra parts to build practically an entire second rolling chassis (in a nice parts box) and then some, plus several (3 I think) sets of TCS legal tires on rims. Looking to sell it to someone who will run it in TCS races including Trackside, hopefully a younger rookie driver. Looking for $100 plus shipping. Race it at Trackside and you get "free" technical support at the TCS race!

Last edited by minidriver; 12-20-2005 at 08:21 AM.
minidriver is offline   Reply With Quote