R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-20-2005, 08:08 AM   #16
Tech Adept

Default TCS Warm-up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk6
Thanks for the replies.

I'm not opposed to buying a used car, and I believe that would be the most cost effective way to get all the hop-ups. Where would I find one? E-Bay is the obvious answer, anywhere else? On the other hand, I do enjoy building cars, so I was looking forward to building a kit.

The TB-02R is better, but when you add in a motor and a body, it probably takes me to $275, which is close to my artificial limit of $350. I'm thinking I'd rather have a more basic car (the stock TB-02 plus maybe sway bars? for about $200) and be able to afford a selection of tires, springs, maybe another set of shocks with a different weight oil in them, etc.

Yes, I'm close to Trackside, about 2 hours away. I'll be up this weekend to build a deck on my mom's house. If both my brothers help and I get done in time, my plan was to get to Trackside to practice with my son and his TL-01 Nissan 350Z, and maybe buy a TB-02 from the store if they have them in stock. So if you see a silver or metallic blue 350Z on the track (I plan on painting it tomorrow and we haven't decided the color yet), stop by and say hi.

Keep all the advice coming, it is much appreciated.

Thanks.
Weekly TCS WARM-up / Testing IN Madison, WI....
Check out www.marcca.com
MARCCA is running a TCS spec class this year.
All TCs rules apply, only TCS legal hop-ups are allowed.
First race will be Dec. 26th, 2005 ( Day after Christmas ) and will continue every Sunday afternoon until the TCS race in Milwaukee.

I will send you a PM with my contact info.

Jon
Madison, WI
www.ccugolf.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 08:40 AM   #17
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

WOW. Thanks for all the info.

asw,
We'll be racing on carpet at Trackside, and their race is 2 days -- 1 day for quals, one day for mains, so I'll be OK on batteries. I will pick up probably 2 good 3300 stick packs for my son's car.

mini,
Thanks for all the advice. The good news is my son won't have to race against your son. The bad news is I will have to in GT3 .

Thanks for the tip on the shocks.

80 weight oil in the front??? That sounds extreme. Is that too make up for lack of other adjustments (springs, shock position, etc.)?

Thanks for the offer on the TL01, but I'll pass. We built ours up new from a kit, added bearings and shocks. I think we are getting close on my son's car.

Please PM me on the pinion gear. I plan to be at Trackside Thursday or Friday Dec 29th or 30th. Maybe we could arrange a sale there.

Jon,
I might be able to make it up on the 26th. That sounds like a great idea. I can't do Sunday racing on a regular basis due to Higher priorities (hint: his birthday is 5 days away).

thanks again all.
Hawk6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 09:01 AM   #18
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk6
WOW. Thanks for all the info.

80 weight oil in the front??? That sounds extreme. Is that too make up for lack of other adjustments (springs, shock position, etc.)?
Yes, and I have found that it is best to set up a novice's car to push just a bit, makes it easier to drive, and teaches them to back off the throttle to make the turn.

You and your son should come up to Trackside for the New Years Day race. Always a lot of fun, much more fun than couch sitting eating and watching bowl games. We always have a very good turnout, probably will be a sportsmans (spec) class (stock motor, but he could run the mabuchi - just the track time is the most important thing) where he could try out the new TL-01.

Pinion: check this link

http://www.valavala.com/shop/product...roducts_id/278
minidriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 09:21 AM   #19
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to A-Ko

Hawk6,

Another option that you have available is IRP out in DeKalb pretty close to I88 off the Peace Road exit. http://www.intenseracewaypark.com/

They have the same carpet as trackside and they are pretty close to the same size. They have special holiday weekday hours for practice as well as are open 9to9 on Saturdays for practice.

I usually go 2 to 3 times a month to fine tune my GT2 & Gt3 setups. If you decide to go that way I would be happy to help you on your GT3 setup.

Jeff
USVTA National Points Member #101
A-Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 09:54 AM   #20
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default First timer also

Hawk what a great thread you started. My goal also was to run the TCS for the first time. My choice of car was the Mini Cooper. I am looking to get to the final race at Tamiya. How does this series work? Are there races you qualify at to get to the finals at Tamiya. Can you explain the process?. Any tips or set ups on the Cooper would be greatly appreciated. Maybe they will add the Group C cars to the series? Thanks again for all your guys help.

Phil
tunnelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 10:26 AM   #21
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to A-Ko

tunnelhead,

If you goto the schedule http://www.tamiyausa.com/tcs_races/schedule.php.

To qualify for the North American Finals they say you have have been in a regional race and finish in the top 10. If you were at a reginal and finished out of the top 10, then they run a last chance qualifyer on Friday, before the North American Finals. They always threaten that but I have never seen that threat ran. You do have to participate in a regional race though that is for sure, in order to run at the North American Finals.

Tips for the cooper, well I don't have much expertise in that. Usually opting for lighter parts, correct tires and a well broken in Johnson motor have been key.

If you goto;
http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...ko#post2011796

The "Tamiya Championship Series" Forum "rccardr" is one of the mini experts that frequents there. He might be willing to unload a bundle of secrets because he is toying with the idea of running GT1...

The Group C cars are not being ran in TCS USA. Although if you are close to a TCS Canada race they will be running them in 06.

Jeff
USVTA National Points Member #101
A-Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 02:55 PM   #22
Tech Regular

Smile

Hello Hawk6. I ran the TCS regional, and national last year in GT1 and, well got in a little over my head. If you want to be competitive and stay within your price range look into the Mini M03, Mini M04, or the Spec class. I am glancing at the 06 rules right now and know that all the GT classes allow for the new TA-05 kit which is what quite a few people are testing at Tamiya now(Tamiya owners get to drive at the HQ each Sat). The TA-05 is new, so a used one might be hard to find, and the rules are pretty open for Hop-Ups. I can pretty much see the GT2 and GT3 classes being tough for 06 at the nationals. I can't see running a Spec chassis that often locally, but the Mini class; I can (running it now at my local track on Tues nights). Wanting to be competitive on a budget I'd go Mini, or Spec? Nationals will have a handout sealed can motor, and handout batteries(Mini). See ya in Aug
jw92656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 03:27 PM   #23
Tech Master

jw,
Thanks for the flattery, but I've got no plans to be in CA in August. Just looking to be competitive at a regional race and have some fun with my son. Our driving skills are still on a steep learning curve, so just trying to get prepared and get some track time for practice.

I'll race in GT3 with my TB-02 and a few hop-ups, and my son will race in Spec with his TL01 and a few hop-ups. If we both avoid DNFs I'll be happy. If one or both of us make it to the A mains, I'll be thrilled (I think he'll have a better chance than me. For only racing once or twice a month, he's a decent driver).
Old 12-20-2005, 06:29 PM   #24
Tech Adept

"Jon,
I might be able to make it up on the 26th. That sounds like a great idea. I can't do Sunday racing on a regular basis due to Higher priorities (hint: his birthday is 5 days away)."

Hawk,
I understand fully. Some Racing Sunday's my son and I go to 8:00am Service at my son's school / church, http://www.lakecitychurch.org It happens to be right around the block from the track.

Most Sundays you can join us at our regular church (10:00am Service) check out www.capitoland.com we just get to the track a little later, but still on time for racing. Capitoland is in Verona (just up Hwy 69) so it would be a nice stopping off point for a great church service. Plus I will guarantee a gift for you as a church visitor that you can't get at any other church.
LMK if you are interested.

Jon
Old 12-20-2005, 09:34 PM   #25
Tech Champion

OK here is my last tips.

When you received the mabuchi motor from the race organiser, please break in the motor by dipping it into large glass of water. From your charger menu, set 3.6V motor break in function and give it 20 - 30 minutes of completely submerge under water. After that spray it with motor cleaner, re oil the bushing, and you are good to go. Your motor will be faster than people who didn't break in.

That 's only if you want to be competitive..... if too much hassle, don't do it. I was competitive minded before, but I'm not now. I;m just relax and enjoy the hobby.

OK, good luck buddy !!! Hope you and son win !!
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 06:29 PM   #26
Tech Master

Jon,
Thanks for the offer. Sounds like a great idea to me, but my wife still has these ideas of spending time together as a family . I'm hopeful for the race on the 26th. Please pm me more info if possible. I just want to make sure if my son and I get up there expecting to race Tamiya Spec and GT3 class, we'll have someone to race with. I'm about 60% sure we'll be there Monday.

asw,
I've broken in the motors that came with the kits in water, but only for about 10 seconds. I thought that was all that was needed. 2 minutes is prefered?

If I can be more competitive for the price of a cup of water, I'll do it . It's than darn stuff that actually costs money that I struggle with.

Thanks again.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:27 PM   #27
Tech Adept

Default TCS Spec Class Testing and warm-up

My Son and I will be there on the 26th. I think we are in charge of opening up the place I will have at least 3 spec cars there, Mine my sons and one other so there will be 3 cars for the class and it will run on Monday. If yo can make it up I promise you will have fun.

Have a Merry Christmas

Jon
Old 12-28-2005, 07:11 PM   #28
Tech Master

What's the recommended gearing for GT3 class (silver can motor) TB-02 (I'll be racing at Trackside, indoor carpet, for the TCS race)? I had a 55 spur and 22 pinion for I think a 6.50 final drive ratio. I thought I'd be flying by a stock TT-01, but couldn't chase it down .

Could it be the motor?, the batteries?, or do I just need to keep gearing higher??? Or was I gearded too high for a 540 motor???

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:27 AM   #29
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

You need to be somewhere between a 5 flat and 5.45 depending on the motor. 6.5 is way undergeared. Don't know which spur and pinion that would be since I don't run a TB02, but I've done some GT3 racing and you can count on that ratio.
Later
Doc

RED DOT MOTORS- Fastest Titan 12T and silver can 540 motors in the known galaxy!
rccardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 07:28 AM   #30
zax
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccardr
You need to be somewhere between a 5 flat and 5.45 depending on the motor. 6.5 is way undergeared. Don't know which spur and pinion that would be since I don't run a TB02, but I've done some GT3 racing and you can count on that ratio.
Later
Doc
52t spur and 25t pinion will give u 5.40 ..52/25 *2.6 =5.40
zax is offline   Reply With Quote