R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-31-2005, 06:26 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DirtyDog3375
Default Much More Zero-V Discharger

I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with discharging and maintaining IB3600 cells so far. I have a Much More Zero V Discharger and wasn't sure whether or not to use it on these cells. How and what should I discharge and store these cells with? I only race every fortnight. (stock and mod racing). Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
DirtyDog3375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 06:48 PM   #2
Tech Adept

Hi there. do not use muchmore zero v to discharge IB3600 or 3800. if i am not wrong IB cells supposed to cut at .90V. ZeroV will discharge far below .90V

Only use MuchMore ZeroV discharge tray to store the battery for GP Batteries.

thanks

James Kim
TeamMuchMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 07:29 PM   #3
Tech Master

Okay. What do the lights go out at? (volts) and can I use it with a multi meter until it reaches 5.4 v for the pack and then tack it off or would it be best to get something else? If so, what do you recommend?
Old 05-31-2005, 08:01 PM   #4
Tech Master

Also wanted to add that I am using a Much More CTX cell master charger. Can I use the discharge function on that to discharger the pack after use? (@10amps down to 5.4volts).
Old 05-31-2005, 08:03 PM   #5
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to koabich

If you read some of the other threads, Danny from SMC, mentions that you can indeed discharge the IB cells down to zero before placing a full charge in them. But like all Nimh cells out there, you should NOT store them at anything less than 5.4 volts but once again, bringing them down to zero before a charge is ok...and actually preferred.
koabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 08:20 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hi There,

Is anyone successful with increasing runtime and ave discharge voltage for GP3700 cells with this tray? Should GP3700s be stored on this tray for 3 days? And trayed for a brief period just before charge? If not, how are the Team Much More drivers using it?

Thanks in Advance.
Kenneth Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 01:03 AM   #7
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamMuchMore
Hi there. do not use muchmore zero v to discharge IB3600 or 3800. if i am not wrong IB cells supposed to cut at .90V. ZeroV will discharge far below .90V

Only use MuchMore ZeroV discharge tray to store the battery for GP Batteries.

thanks

James Kim
James... some guys did this using the trays..and the batteries were DONE! so DO NOT bring IB3600s and IB3800s down to 0.0v. (for long periods of time, not sure about bringing them down right before charging?) they will die for sure. ill be trying GP3700s on the tray this week. i'll let you guys know how it pans out. James..btw did you get my PM or email?
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 05:11 PM   #8
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Yeah, I've only used them with Gp cells. I have heard some bad stories with the IB's lol.

-Korey
Old 06-17-2005, 11:41 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Default Newbie battery question???

Hi Chris,

I am relatively still new in the hobby, and I had several questions pertaining to battery care!

I was thinking on buying the Integy INDI Zero-Thirty 030 Discharge Board 30A for my battery maintance and was wondering if you could answer a few questions for me.

And now for the questions:

1: Do you discharge your batteries after every run, and if you do how do you store your batteries, with a dead short accross them until the next run or even next week of racing?

2: Have you attempted to charge with a triple rate charge or a staight 6.0 Amp constant charge? what was the most gain?

3: After each run im sure you discharge your pack down to zero, is it alright to leave it without a shorted wire accross the battery?

4. I have read that racers who DS there batteries lose ther punch around 3 to 4 minutes? Is this true

All of these questions are for mainly running Stock and or 19 Turn Spec Touring Car Racing!!!!

Any help or advice would be such a great help!!!!!

Thank you Again in Advance

Alex Cortez
Alex C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 01:49 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebiki
James... some guys did this using the trays..and the batteries were DONE! so DO NOT bring IB3600s and IB3800s down to 0.0v. (for long periods of time, not sure about bringing them down right before charging?) they will die for sure. ill be trying GP3700s on the tray this week. i'll let you guys know how it pans out. James..btw did you get my PM or email?
GP3700's work great taken down to 0.0v prior to charging. I know of people deadshorting IB3800's and getting great results. I race with a guy that trays his IB3800's down to 0.0v prior to charging and gets awesome results. He and I both are using the Integy 0-30.

I personally do not have any experience with the IB cells, but the GP3700's seem to react exactly like the GP3300's. They can take a little abuse.
Old 06-18-2005, 01:59 AM   #11
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex C
Hi Chris,

I am relatively still new in the hobby, and I had several questions pertaining to battery care!

I was thinking on buying the Integy INDI Zero-Thirty 030 Discharge Board 30A for my battery maintance and was wondering if you could answer a few questions for me.

And now for the questions:

1: Do you discharge your batteries after every run, and if you do how do you store your batteries, with a dead short accross them until the next run or even next week of racing?

2: Have you attempted to charge with a triple rate charge or a staight 6.0 Amp constant charge? what was the most gain?

3: After each run im sure you discharge your pack down to zero, is it alright to leave it without a shorted wire accross the battery?

4. I have read that racers who DS there batteries lose ther punch around 3 to 4 minutes? Is this true

All of these questions are for mainly running Stock and or 19 Turn Spec Touring Car Racing!!!!

Any help or advice would be such a great help!!!!!

Thank you Again in Advance

Alex Cortez
Hey Alex,

im not an expert but i will answer your questions to the best of my ability

1. if i will race again with a week. i discharge them with my spintec and they go into storage. 3 days before a race, i put them on my Zero-V trays. i do not run a wire across my batteries because that is dangerous and im not that good with a soldering iron! so i purchased 6 trays to keep all my race packs at 0.0v (i race stock and 19T). its an expensive route, but i dont want anything blowing up or catching on fire or any other potential hazards. if i am not racing within a week. once i run them (i usually practice for 5-6mins) i take off the pack and just store it.

2. i used to charge 6amps straight. but with 3 phase charging (with the Much More Racing Cell Master), i get the same effect but a tad longer runtime and my batteries do not come off hot. they come off warm.

3. for safety reasons, i dont do this. ask howard hudson. he stored his batteries normally (no wire for shorting), it shorted, and burned his whole pit bag to ashes. im not taking that risk

4. i havent felt anything.

if anyone else is reading this thread, please jump in here and let's help this guy out. i know my methods might be "weird" to some, but it works for me. maybe a few more guys can chime in with some helpful suggestions. (mod guys and oval guys really know how to get the most out of their packs. they might be the best ones to ask)

good luck! happy racing.

- Chris
Old 06-18-2005, 02:00 AM   #12
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBLove
GP3700's work great taken down to 0.0v prior to charging. I know of people deadshorting IB3800's and getting great results. I race with a guy that trays his IB3800's down to 0.0v prior to charging and gets awesome results. He and I both are using the Integy 0-30.

I personally do not have any experience with the IB cells, but the GP3700's seem to react exactly like the GP3300's. They can take a little abuse.
RBLove.... sweeeeet! thats great to hear. time to take my 3700s down to 0.0v!
Old 06-18-2005, 03:30 AM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebiki
RBLove.... sweeeeet! thats great to hear. time to take my 3700s down to 0.0v!
Here is the method I am using.

Place in the Integy 0-30 tray for 5-10 mins prior to charging. I will charge immediately after removing the pack from the tray. If you are using another type of tray with a slower discharge rate than 30 amps you will want to leave it in the tray longer. Easy to check the voltage is to hook your Much More leads to the pack and you can watch the voltage drop. Once it hits zero volts take it out and charge.

I am step charging now also. Still searching for a good method for GP3700's, but a 6 amp linear charge works well.

At the end of the race I use the Spintec discharge analyzer. Once complete I put the pack away for the next race day or if I am running it again I will set it aside for at least 2 hours and then start the entire process all over again. If I am not going to race for two weeks or longer I will charge the pack for 500 seconds @ 5amps linear.
Old 06-18-2005, 07:12 AM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Thanks Again Chris, and RBLove for all your help in Battrey Maintance Methods!!!!
Best Regards

Alex Cortez
Alex C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 10:27 AM   #15
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I leave my batteries in my Zero V trays for 3 days, and then take them out so they may rest. My batteries have been great since I've been doing that, and I still have good runtime for mod as well. I use a Much More Racing Cell master as well. The 3 step charging is awesome. It gave me more overall runtime, but the batteries were much cooler comming off the charger. The overall punch was the same as well.

-Korey