R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes

Old 07-26-2013, 05:20 PM   #46
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

How smooth do you need a speedo to be with a 25.5 . I would be more worried about maximum power.
AARON YOUNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:39 AM   #47
Tech Fanatic

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

Ive converted all my cars to HobbyWing. HW has something for almost every class and their prices are perfect. $50 for a Justock is unbeatable. Novak has been around for a long time and I they make some great hardware but you're paying for the name. Hopefully HW's head wont get bloated from the mass popularity and they wont jack up their prices and I will always be a customer. Also, I don't know if this is directly related to the speedo or not but after I switches over to the HW ESC, my motor ran about 6 degrees cooler on average.
M3Roc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:01 AM   #48
Tech Fanatic

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

So I ran my motor last weekend with the vented bell ends and didn't notice any significant diff in temps. Ill have to cut out the insulator to open up the front vents a bit more but otherwise my temps stayed about the same. I did notice that one of the screw holes had bad threads. Stripped out the threads before I even got it to tighten, felt like threading aluminum.. Maybe it was a bad thread? Anyways, I had to rotate the end bell to use a diff set of threads and those felt normal. I keep my timing at 45 since it doesn't seem to change the temps by a lot. Gonna try a better fan for the next race.
M3Roc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 06:08 PM   #49
Tech Regular

are there any ways to tweak this motor to get more out of it? i'm at 45degrees timing, geared @ 3.0 FDR, using SpeedPassion Critix Stock ESC, and a 5000 40C 2s Lipo....after the main I was at 150 degrees on the endbell and 140 degrees on the can (with aluminum motor heatsink and fan clipped on the motor) temp taken with a laser temp gun.

I thought my car was fast until I got lapped 3 times in the main....I placed 3rd, but my car was not as fast as the top 2 guys....they were like "you need to cycle your batteries for a lower internal resistance and have more power"....but I just can't believe that I need to charge my battery at 30amps and cycle the piss out of my battery for that much more speed...I suspect there is more than meets the eye....
F1-VBC LightningF
TENCHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 10:23 AM   #50
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by TENCHO View Post
are there any ways to tweak this motor to get more out of it? i'm at 45degrees timing, geared @ 3.0 FDR, using SpeedPassion Critix Stock ESC, and a 5000 40C 2s Lipo....after the main I was at 150 degrees on the endbell and 140 degrees on the can (with aluminum motor heatsink and fan clipped on the motor) temp taken with a laser temp gun.

I thought my car was fast until I got lapped 3 times in the main....I placed 3rd, but my car was not as fast as the top 2 guys....they were like "you need to cycle your batteries for a lower internal resistance and have more power"....but I just can't believe that I need to charge my battery at 30amps and cycle the piss out of my battery for that much more speed...I suspect there is more than meets the eye....
You might be overgeared. For VTA, I have always had the best luck with an FDR of about 3.9. I race on small to medium sized carpet tracks. If you race on a huge outdoor track, maybe an FDR of 3.0 would be right. How big is your track?

I like running 45 degrees of timing in VTA. Keep in mind that each motor's actual timing varies from the markings on the endbell. Your motor might not be running 45 degrees. The only way to know for sure is to use a brushless motor analyzer that shows the actual degrees of timing.
Shiloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 10:36 AM   #51
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TENCHO View Post
Yes, there is more than meets the eye... It's called corner speed. Find ways to make the chassis work better, and you'll close that 3 lap gap.
ImacFanatic likes this.