R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-25-2013, 06:27 PM   #31
Tech Elite
 
odpurple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 2,192
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Roc View Post
EEEEEEEEXACTLY! Also, because it runs cooler and a cooler motor runs better, even if its just 10 degrees..
That's a good theory and I agree with it. Do people really push VTA motors to the point where they slow down due to heat, though? I'm asking because I am building my first VTA car now and haven't seen any of the guys running locally complain of any issues (they do run a max FDR though). Below a certain temp getting the motor to run cooler doesn't make a difference.
__________________
TOP Racing USA--OD Racing--Novak--Power Push--J Spec
odpurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:03 PM   #32
Tech Fanatic
 
M3Roc's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: ★216★
Posts: 995
Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by odpurple View Post
That's a good theory and I agree with it. Do people really push VTA motors to the point where they slow down due to heat, though? I'm asking because I am building my first VTA car now and haven't seen any of the guys running locally complain of any issues (they do run a max FDR though). Below a certain temp getting the motor to run cooler doesn't make a difference.
Ive pushed my motor to 170 before. I placed where I was happy in the race but that jeopardizes your motor and you risk burning it our (melting the shield around the wire winding or melting the plastic casing that holds the winds).. Luckily, that motor still runs strong but now it has a fan that keeps those temps down to 130 to 140's.. We'll see what the temps will be like with the new end bells allowing for additional cooling.
__________________
☆ What a wicked web we weave, when first we practice to deceive. ☆
☆ Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep. ☆
☆ Life never favored weakness, Only the strong survive. ☆
M3Roc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:45 PM   #33
Tech Fanatic
 
Bigz84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 803
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Roc View Post
Ive pushed my motor to 170 before. I placed where I was happy in the race but that jeopardizes your motor and you risk burning it our (melting the shield around the wire winding or melting the plastic casing that holds the winds).. Luckily, that motor still runs strong but now it has a fan that keeps those temps down to 130 to 140's.. We'll see what the temps will be like with the new end bells allowing for additional cooling.
what was your FDR at the Gate w/ your motor?
__________________
Airtronics/Sawna : EA Motorsports : Orca : Reflex Racing/RSD : Wild Turbo Fans : RCAmerica : Hudy : Xray : Diggity Designs : Team Scream Racing
Bigz84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:23 PM   #34
Tech Fanatic
 
M3Roc's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: ★216★
Posts: 995
Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)
Default

Too high.. Reason for the heat but I needed to do something to get a foot in the door for the top three. I moved the fan from the ESC over to the motor and ran low 140's high 130's to place 3rd in the main..

I was smoking everyone on the straights but I had bad speed on the corners. Have no fear though, I fixed my gearing for this coming weekend and also installed a nice Yeah Racing fan mount on the motor..
__________________
☆ What a wicked web we weave, when first we practice to deceive. ☆
☆ Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep. ☆
☆ Life never favored weakness, Only the strong survive. ☆
M3Roc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:39 PM   #35
Tech Champion
 
JayBee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 12TH-MAN COUNTRY
Posts: 6,813
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by odpurple View Post
That's a good theory and I agree with it. Do people really push VTA motors to the point where they slow down due to heat, though? I'm asking because I am building my first VTA car now and haven't seen any of the guys running locally complain of any issues (they do run a max FDR though). Below a certain temp getting the motor to run cooler doesn't make a difference.
Building my 1st VTA as well OD . Bought one of those TC4 club jobbers for this purpose... gotta look into these motors.
__________________
R C 3 G R A F I X _ F U S I O N . G R A P H I X _ S E A T T L E - R/C - R A C E R S _ E M E R A L D C I T Y R C . C O M

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:46 PM   #36
Tech Adept
 
pyro854's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 211
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by odpurple View Post
You don't need a Boss motor. The rotor and stator are the same as the Ballistic. The only advantage to the Boss is it possibly running cooler due to the vents. Anyone that thinks they need the additional vents in the back endbell to be competitive is fooling themselves. That being said, many will use it anyway just because it looks cool
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Roc View Post
EEEEEEEEXACTLY! Also, because it runs cooler and a cooler motor runs better, even if its just 10 degrees..
Guys will buy the motor either way as the motors they are running now get worn out. Most of them wont bother with the vented timing endbell though because the 12* total compared to the 10* that robk found in testing with just the front endbell doesnt matter to them.
__________________
RJ Whiteside
pyro854 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:47 PM   #37
Tech Champion
 
JayBee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 12TH-MAN COUNTRY
Posts: 6,813
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

Is this a good combo?

http://www.stormerhobbies.com/cgi-bi...=ns&pn=NOV3339
__________________
R C 3 G R A F I X _ F U S I O N . G R A P H I X _ S E A T T L E - R/C - R A C E R S _ E M E R A L D C I T Y R C . C O M

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:19 AM   #38
Tech Champion
 
DARKSIDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nashville-Memphis
Posts: 8,568
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro854 View Post
Guys will buy the motor either way as the motors they are running now get worn out. Most of them wont bother with the vented timing endbell though because the 12* total compared to the 10* that robk found in testing with just the front endbell doesnt matter to them.
bingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
yes
__________________
Myron "BATTMAN" Kinnard
Team Associated/Reedy Powered/PROTOform/OTT/1UP
Apex Raceway and Hobbies
1172 Park Ave, Murfreesboro, TN 37129
DARKSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:09 AM   #39
Tech Fanatic
 
M3Roc's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: ★216★
Posts: 995
Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
I would say get the ballistic or boss motor but for the esc, get yourself a HobbyWing Justock speedo. Ive had both and I love my HW and its also on the approved list of speedos.
__________________
☆ What a wicked web we weave, when first we practice to deceive. ☆
☆ Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep. ☆
☆ Life never favored weakness, Only the strong survive. ☆
M3Roc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:02 PM   #40
Tech Elite
 
JayL's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ca
Posts: 2,880
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Roc View Post
I would say get the ballistic or boss motor but for the esc, get yourself a HobbyWing Justock speedo. Ive had both and I love my HW and its also on the approved list of speedos.
+1
I am loving my JuStock after running the Novak GTB forever
__________________
MOD: A800X LRP FlowX X22 4.5T|||VTA: A700 Orca VX3 R1 25.5V16 |||F1:
Roche EVO R1 Digital-2 R1 21.5V16|||Sanwa M12S|||iCharger 406Duo
JayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:59 PM   #41
Tech Adept
 
pyro854's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 211
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
For USVTA that combo works just fine. You don't have to play the speedo game in VTA because speed is the same with them all. That is why there is only a few that are approved anyways.
__________________
RJ Whiteside
pyro854 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:46 PM   #42
Tech Elite
 
nf_ekt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: 22 Acacia Avenue
Posts: 4,632
Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayL View Post
+1
I am loving my JuStock after running the Novak GTB forever
What are the differences / improvements in your opinion? Just wondering why you prefer the Justock.
__________________
Up the Irons \m/

Powered by Hotwings, Rolling Rock, and the urge to race toy cars...
nf_ekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:30 PM   #43
Tech Elite
 
JayL's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ca
Posts: 2,880
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nf_ekt View Post
What are the differences / improvements in your opinion? Just wondering why you prefer the Justock.
1. Smaller easier to fit in car where i want it.

2. Smoother throttle I have tried every setting on the GTB, drive freq etc

3. Easier to adjust, easy to use program box. with the novak to place it in my car well the lights are on the back side and it is harder/ more time consuming to count lights and figure which setting you are adjusting.

4. I ran same setup back to back against the same car, I was equal on straight with Novak, gained alittle over a car length with JuStock
__________________
MOD: A800X LRP FlowX X22 4.5T|||VTA: A700 Orca VX3 R1 25.5V16 |||F1:
Roche EVO R1 Digital-2 R1 21.5V16|||Sanwa M12S|||iCharger 406Duo
JayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:33 PM   #44
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 84
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayL View Post
1. Smaller easier to fit in car where i want it.

2. Smoother throttle I have tried every setting on the GTB, drive freq etc

3. Easier to adjust, easy to use program box. with the novak to place it in my car well the lights are on the back side and it is harder/ more time consuming to count lights and figure which setting you are adjusting.

4. I ran same setup back to back against the same car, I was equal on straight with Novak, gained alittle over a car length with JuStock
+1 on this. The justock feels lots smoother in the infield part of out track vs the gtb2.
__________________
Ricky Garner
Sponsors: My Wife and AVID RC
Mclarein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:08 PM   #45
Tech Champion
 
DARKSIDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nashville-Memphis
Posts: 8,568
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Sorry guys I totally disagree. The gtb series are all smoother than any speedo on the list. I've tested everyone and then some. The only esc I like better is from lrp.

Of course this is my opinion and choice.

Also. I have ever esc on the list except lrp ai. And sp revention. Its on loan. And my gtb2 is in my car.
__________________
Myron "BATTMAN" Kinnard
Team Associated/Reedy Powered/PROTOform/OTT/1UP
Apex Raceway and Hobbies
1172 Park Ave, Murfreesboro, TN 37129
DARKSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 08:16 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net