R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   ultimate rookie. Please help, very interested in hobby (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/73719-ultimate-rookie-please-help-very-interested-hobby.html)

rc fanatic 05-29-2005 04:48 PM

ultimate rookie. Please help, very interested in hobby

Hi i want to buy a electric off road car. And here are my q's

Do electric cars need cells and motors?
Does the losi xxxt mf have both, or one or the other?
How do u know what cells or motors go with what car?

Please cud u giv me sum background knowledge of urs as i am totally lost in the woods, lol.

PLEASE HELP

Thanks

C ;) hris

HK Racing Joe 05-29-2005 05:08 PM

The answers you are looking for are:
Yes electric cars do need cells and motors, if you can get more than one pack, do it,The XXX-T MF2 does not come with electronics so you will need a motor, a speed control, battery packs, a servo and a radio, as for which cell and motors go with which cars/trucks, any stick pack or matched pack will fit into any 1/10 scale, go with 3300's. And any 540 motor will fit any 1/10. And since your new I would reccomend a stock motor such as a Monster stock or Epic Binary. I hope these answers are what you looking for.
Good Luck,
Joe Piro

seth556 05-29-2005 05:16 PM

For electronics I would look at novak's xrs $50 and then a futabu radio or hitech.

rc fanatic 05-29-2005 05:31 PM

So what electric stadium truck would u recommend? I would like it to be fully rtr with all electronics etc inclued. No more tan £250 ish. How fast approximateley does a £250 car go. (elecric) ?

Thanks

Chris ;)

edseb 05-29-2005 07:43 PM

For that much money you won't be able to get the MF2 kit and have enough money for electronics, motor, etc. Basically, if you want a kit that inlcudes a motor, radio, etc., it is called a RTR(ready to run) kit, but beware because in order to keep the price down, manufacturers have to cut corners to make it RTR. MF2 kit is great, but it has performance enhancing parts that bring the price of the chasis up and still doesn't include all the extras you will need. Even with most RTR kits you'll still need batteries, charger, etc. Sorry, to be the bearer of bad news, but you get what yhou payt for. Also, keep in mind, the faster your motor goes, the more maintenance and costs increase. Low turn (fast) motors are extremely high in maintenance and costs. In order to run them fast, you must rebuild them frequently (as much as 5 times that of slower motors) and replacing brushes gets expensive. You'll have to lathe the motor frequently (another expensive tool) and run times for your batteries will drop exponentially. Welcome to the world of RC. It is all part of our hobby. Tinkering is a big part of this hobby and can't be overlooked, if it is, you'll be in for a very expensive eye opener.

SirSpeedy 05-29-2005 07:54 PM

If you like the Team Losi XXX-T MF2, then your best bet for your budget would be the XXX-T Sport RTR II. This truck is a very good value, and includes electronics for reputable manufacturers. The truck includes a motor, and you will only need to get batteries and a charger.

This truck is fully upgradable to the level of the MF2 as your experience and budget will allow.

Here is the link to the Team Losi website for more information: http://www.teamlosi.com/Products/Def...rodID=LOSA0095

Good luck!

edseb 05-29-2005 07:59 PM

To answer your other questions.

If you get a 6 cell, sub-c, nimh battery pack, it will work with your electronics, it is the standard. Almost all motors, batteries, and electronics are compatable to some extent (this is generalized, cause they will fit, but there are some issues when working with fast motors, check with your Hobby Shop and do your homework). Good starter packs are sport packs in the 1500-3300 capacity. Those numbers refer to run time, higher equals more cost if the voltage is the same. If you are just learning, don't bother with expensive matched packs; you won't notice the difference, and unless you have the right (expensive) equipment to maintain them, you'll ruin them anyways.

Your speed control will be dictated by your motor. In a general answer, the faster the motor, the more demand on the electronic speed control (ESC) and that usually means much more money since the ESC needs to be more sophisticated and include parts to handle the amps going through it that mod motors draw. Start with a stock motor; they are plenty fast, generally cheaper, and tend to be compatable with most lesser expensive equipment. Don't be fooled, on a track they are plenty fast, and usually the most popular class too. At National races, stock motor class is often within one lap of modified for an entire race. 1/10th scale trucks use 540 size motors; they will work with all manufaturers. You'll go through lots of motors as you progress in the hobby, so don't think your first motor will be your last.

There is a lot to know and not enough space to cover it all here, good luck and pick up a book or visit some web sites for more help. RC is really fun, don't be discouraged, but being smart and doing some background will save you a lot of expensive mistakes.

mafiaracers 05-29-2005 11:19 PM

That Losi truck is a pretty sweet deal...I'm a huge fan of all losi products. the XXXT rtr is a great truck!

If you have any "off-road" based question, come on over to the "Off Road" thread and we'll hook you up with any setup or specific car questions you may have!

Good Luck!