R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-10-2013, 10:36 PM   #1
Tech Champion
 
Radio Active's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Newcastle, Australia
Posts: 7,072
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Preferred Tape for Carpet

I'm looking for some advice on which is the best tape to use on a roll-out carpet track for taping the rolls together and taping them to a polished wooden surface. This will have to be done every club meeting, so I'm looking for value for money, and so buying in bulk makes sense.

I've been told that gaffer tape is best, but which brand, and why? If you run a roll-out carpet track could you please relate your experience of different tapes, and if possible let me know where you order your preferred tape from. Thanks.
__________________
Reigning NSW 4WD Group 20 Champion
Member: Maitland Radio Car Club (http://www.morcc.com.au)
twitter: @dvcotton
Australian 12th Scale hastag: #EP12AU
Radio Active is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:49 PM   #2
Tech Elite
 
SWTour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Central Coast...CALIF.
Posts: 2,874
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

I liked Gorilla Tape - because IT STUCK (sometimes almost too much)

http://gorillaglue.com.au/
__________________
Joe Myers
R/C Racing since 1985 ~ Santa Maria, CA (Central Coast)
2001-2012 - South-West Tour R/C Oval Series...will the SWT be revived?
Things are headed towards a return of the SWT Series, but for
2017 the focus will be on the Encino Velodrome (and dirt oval racing)
SWTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:17 PM   #3
Tech Elite
 
PutAwayWet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,424
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

We set up and tear down in a basketball gym with a polished wood floor. I know exactly what you're doing.

1. The best tape we've found is 3M Tough Tape #L445. It sticks, it lays down smooth, and it's neither too thick nor too thin. We get ours in cases of 24 from Lowes: http://www.shopping.com/3m-188in-x-1...Bw==/info?sb=1

2. We do NOT tape to the floor. Our track is four 100' rolls. It doesn't move around too much, and over the course of the evening the cars stretch it out tighter and smoother. It's hard to believe until you actually see it happen, but it works. You'll want to let it float on the floor.

3. Heads-up: if your carpet is new CRC Fasttrack, for the first few meetings nothing sticks very well (including Gorilla tape.) There is some sort of light treatment, or maybe it's just left over from the manufacture of the rug, but it's like an oil or something. It only is really obvious when you try to tape to it. We've broken in two batches of rug over the years, and it was the same thing each time. About a dozen setups and teardowns and it wears off and/or evaporates. Keep taping it, as it speeds up the process at the seams, but do know that it's just a hassle at first. It gets better, but the first few times you'll be gnashing your teeth.
__________________
Todd Mason
Seattle RC Racers

The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store.
Stand it like a man, and give some back. --Al Swearengen
PutAwayWet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:41 PM   #4
Tech Master
 
pcar951's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Cow Town
Posts: 1,706
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Gorilla tape is the best we've found so far, we pay about $6 / roll but could probably do better if we bought in bulk.
__________________
Jim Chapman
PM Hobbycraft | RCAmerica | Xray | Hudy
pcar951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:45 AM   #5
Tech Champion
 
Radio Active's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Newcastle, Australia
Posts: 7,072
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PutAwayWet View Post
We set up and tear down in a basketball gym with a polished wood floor. I know exactly what you're doing.

1. The best tape we've found is 3M Tough Tape #L445. It sticks, it lays down smooth, and it's neither too thick nor too thin. We get ours in cases of 24 from Lowes: http://www.shopping.com/3m-188in-x-1...Bw==/info?sb=1

2. We do NOT tape to the floor. Our track is four 100' rolls. It doesn't move around too much, and over the course of the evening the cars stretch it out tighter and smoother. It's hard to believe until you actually see it happen, but it works. You'll want to let it float on the floor.

3. Heads-up: if your carpet is new CRC Fasttrack, for the first few meetings nothing sticks very well (including Gorilla tape.) There is some sort of light treatment, or maybe it's just left over from the manufacture of the rug, but it's like an oil or something. It only is really obvious when you try to tape to it. We've broken in two batches of rug over the years, and it was the same thing each time. About a dozen setups and teardowns and it wears off and/or evaporates. Keep taping it, as it speeds up the process at the seams, but do know that it's just a hassle at first. It gets better, but the first few times you'll be gnashing your teeth.
Thank you for the detailed information.

p.s. Do you also use CRC Clik Trak for barricades? If so how many of which packs would you recommend? And what's a typical Mod lap time on a 5-lane set-up on a track that size?
__________________
Reigning NSW 4WD Group 20 Champion
Member: Maitland Radio Car Club (http://www.morcc.com.au)
twitter: @dvcotton
Australian 12th Scale hastag: #EP12AU
Radio Active is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:12 PM   #6
mjw
Tech Adept
 
mjw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 150
Default

Our local track gets rolled out on race day and taped down. It's in a community centre but the floors aren't wood. They use your basic cheap duct tape to tape carpet to carpet (not to the floor) and then around the outside edge to the floor. It holds fairly well for club racing numbers. We also use their carpet for the Canadian Onroad Nationals which is on tile in a mall. With just under 300 entries this year we had a lot of traffic to deal with on the carpet and we don't mess around there. each strip of carpet is taped to the floor with cheap duct tape and then taped carpet to carpet using Gorilla tape. We've run that race 4 years now and Gorilla tape is by far the best one we've found. It isn't the most economical though and may not be worth it for club racing.

Mike
mjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:44 PM   #7
Tech Elite
 
andrewdoherty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: ★Wylie, TX★
Posts: 3,776
Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)
Default

When you say each strip is taped to the floor with duct tape, how exactly are you going about that? Have you found any difference in grip between taping each piece down as compared to attaching each piece? We have a new track going in nearby and were looking at options for putting the carpet down. We have the advantage of not having to pull it up each meet.
__________________
"Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
"[Driving] Genius is 1% inspiration, and 99% perspiration" -T.A. Edison
|◤Hobbywing◢|◤SpeedzoneUSA.com◢|◤Pro-One◢|
|◤ReflexRacing.net◢|◤Protoform◢|◤AVID R/C◢|
andrewdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:42 PM   #8
Tech Elite
 
PutAwayWet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,424
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

We do not use Clik-Trak. We use square vinyl downspout, Losi dots, and some wood and plastic hardware we fabricate ourselves. All told, it's about 1/3rd the price of Clik-Trak, and in my very humble opinion, better in just about every way. This stuff: http://www.acehardware.com/printProd...iceLabel=Price

Here is our track build.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.


A fast lap for Mod 1/12th is in the 9's.
A fast lap for Mod TC is in the 11's.
__________________
Todd Mason
Seattle RC Racers

The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store.
Stand it like a man, and give some back. --Al Swearengen
PutAwayWet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:12 PM   #9
Tech Champion
 
Still Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 7,239
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Great video by the Seattle boys!
__________________
Constantly evolving CRC WGT and WGT-R/T...Carpet & Asphalt...All thanks to Team CRC.

And a pair of Associated B6 buggies for turf and clay tracks.

Last edited by Still Bill; 06-11-2013 at 11:30 PM.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:06 AM   #10
Tech Elite
 
SWTour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Central Coast...CALIF.
Posts: 2,874
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Andrew,

If you won't be rolling yours up - I suggest having it seemed together (underneath) - you'll be very happy going that direction. (A carpet layer can do that)
__________________
Joe Myers
R/C Racing since 1985 ~ Santa Maria, CA (Central Coast)
2001-2012 - South-West Tour R/C Oval Series...will the SWT be revived?
Things are headed towards a return of the SWT Series, but for
2017 the focus will be on the Encino Velodrome (and dirt oval racing)
SWTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:05 AM   #11
Tech Initiate
 
G-kenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 44
Default

Here is another video from Northern Ireland. We tape ours together using double sided tape stuck to the floor as we have had problems in the past with tape lifting during runs.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
G-kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:08 AM   #12
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 119
Default

Gorilla tape, we tape the rolls together and then tape just the outside edge of the track to a concrete floor.
__________________
On Road: VBC WF D06, A700 Evo, Mi5
Off Road: K1, DEX408
cgroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:30 PM   #13
Tech Master
 
TheCoolCanFanMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Watford
Posts: 1,738
Default

We at Rug Racers in the UK have tried many tapes over the years, and have come to the conclusion, that using masking tape 3 inches wide is by far the best, and is made by a company called 'Indasa' @ about 2 a roll when bulk buying, the trouble with this tape is that its buff in colour, and therefor stands out and is a bit harsh on the eye, and the track can then look like swimming lanes. I have found a company that will do a 3 inch masking tape in black, so therefor does not stand out like the buff tape.
When laying 8 rolls of 100ft rug, we tape one end to the floor, then we push out any creases, with a soil pipe, a hole in each end the pipe with 2 broom handles and 2 guys pushing from one end of the roll to the other end. Then we tape the outer edge to the floor, and the other edge to the floor, so that piece cant move, then we butt the next roll upto the the first piece of rug, then tape it to the first piece of rug, we carry out this process on every other piece of rug, this way the rug can float,as well as it is stuck very well to the floor.
I hope this helps
__________________
ARC 2013 model ZEN Racing, MM-UK, HW 3.1, Rich Paints, MM UK Rug Racers win13.5 2007/8
2nd in 2008/9/10 Win Ansman GP 2010 Schumacher GP. 17.5 blinky Winner of STCC 2009/10 13.5 WLRC 2010 Summer series. Winner of EWS Winter. 17.5 Blinky Winner of 2012/13/14 Rug Racers. 17.5 Blinky 2013 WLRC summer series. Newbury RCC GP 2014 17.5 Blinky 2015 3rd in 17.5 Rug Racers
TheCoolCanFanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:32 PM   #14
mjw
Tech Adept
 
mjw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 150
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewdoherty View Post
When you say each strip is taped to the floor with duct tape, how exactly are you going about that? Have you found any difference in grip between taping each piece down as compared to attaching each piece? We have a new track going in nearby and were looking at options for putting the carpet down. We have the advantage of not having to pull it up each meet.
The carpet we use is 60'x12', 4 rolls wide and another roll down the end to make a 72'x48' track surface. We start with the first roll and tape it to the floor on all sides with cheap duct tape. The second roll is lined up and taped to the first with Gorilla Tape, then taped around the other 3 sides to the floor with the cheap tape again. Process repeated until it's all laid out. Here's a link to a Youtube video of one of the mains for a visual of the track setup. The tape you see in the video is Gorilla tape. It's covering all of the cheap stuff used to tape to the tile floor. We only do it this way for this race. This carpet is R/C Niagara's carpet. Through the winter months it's set up in a community centre every Sunday and only taped to the floor around the outside edge of the track and each seam taped on top with cheap tape.

Mike
mjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:07 AM   #15
Tech Regular
 
Conrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Scotland
Posts: 473
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCoolCanFanMan View Post
We at Rug Racers in the UK have tried many tapes over the years, and have come to the conclusion, that using masking tape 3 inches wide is by far the best, and is made by a company called 'Indasa' @ about 2 a roll when bulk buying, the trouble with this tape is that its buff in colour, and therefor stands out and is a bit harsh on the eye, and the track can then look like swimming lanes. I have found a company that will do a 3 inch masking tape in black, so therefor does not stand out like the buff tape.
When laying 8 rolls of 100ft rug, we tape one end to the floor, then we push out any creases, with a soil pipe, a hole in each end the pipe with 2 broom handles and 2 guys pushing from one end of the roll to the other end. Then we tape the outer edge to the floor, and the other edge to the floor, so that piece cant move, then we butt the next roll upto the the first piece of rug, then tape it to the first piece of rug, we carry out this process on every other piece of rug, this way the rug can float,as well as it is stuck very well to the floor.
I hope this helps
Can you PM me contact details for your sources, wouldn't mind trying them out at our club. How do you find the masking tape with rubber/foam tires, any slipping, sudden break aways, loss in traction. It's something we have quite a bit of trouble with, it doesn't help when track design is limited by a join every 2m.
__________________
Swith Racing [www.swithracing.co.uk]
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 03:43 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net