Search

the gm motor thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 02:35 AM
Tech Addict

Default the gm motor thread

hi all,as i cant seem to find any info on the gm motors ive started this thread

if you run a gm and have any relevant info please post it here

im trying to work out the best timing to run but do not understand the marks on the can and how much timing each mark is,im sure i can extract more power from it but as im still new to all this timing malarky its holding me back

i run an orion r10 pro and the gm race 13.5 in a t4,with an fdr of 5.50 on a large track with a 60mtr straight
most seem to gear around the 6.0 but thats with the lrp x12/x20 motors
from what i have heard and read the gm is a torquey motor
any help apreciated
Old 07-23-2013, 05:33 AM
Bar
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chasingthepack
hi all,as i cant seem to find any info on the gm motors ive started this thread

if you run a gm and have any relevant info please post it here

im trying to work out the best timing to run but do not understand the marks on the can and how much timing each mark is,im sure i can extract more power from it but as im still new to all this timing malarky its holding me back

i run an orion r10 pro and the gm race 13.5 in a t4,with an fdr of 5.50 on a large track with a 60mtr straight
most seem to gear around the 6.0 but thats with the lrp x12/x20 motors
from what i have heard and read the gm is a torquey motor
any help apreciated
Is that boosted 13.5 you run in?
Old 07-23-2013, 06:40 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Bar
Is that boosted 13.5 you run in?
yeah boosted at aldershot
Old 07-23-2013, 08:36 AM
Tech Regular

the gm is same as the vampire so far around 5.8 to 6 sounds about right
Old 07-23-2013, 09:32 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Craig W
the gm is same as the vampire so far around 5.8 to 6 sounds about right
this is all about the gm motor and not comparisons to others,i havent used another motor so im only after specific info on the gm
Old 07-23-2013, 09:33 AM
Tech Addict

i have since learned that each mark is 5 degrees ,so im now running only 10 degrees and utilising the esc more
Old 07-23-2013, 02:54 PM
Tech Addict

poor responce so far,doesnt anyone run gm motors?
Old 07-24-2013, 02:13 AM
Tech Regular

You may find it hard pushed to find out settings as people like to keep them to themselves.......

Maybe ask Nick @ Demon what he recommends.....
Old 07-24-2013, 02:13 AM
Tech Regular

Interesting to find out a vampire is the same as a GM tho
Old 07-24-2013, 11:03 AM
Tech Master

The problem you have is that you have specified that you run with the Orion speedo. The speedo and motor and associated settings are linked, you can't comment on one without the other. I'd say that the combo you run is fairly unusual, so there isn't likely to be a huge amount of advice.

By visual appearance, I'd say there is a fair chance that the GM and Vampire are made by the same OEM, that doesn't mean that they are the same. In fairness, in stock motor terms, there is unlikely to be a huge difference, but the mods use different rotors as an example - so they aren't "the same".
Old 07-25-2013, 01:28 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Smartypants
You may find it hard pushed to find out settings as people like to keep them to themselves.......

Maybe ask Nick @ Demon what he recommends.....
nick has been helpfull as he runs a gm but he uses a gm speedo ,had a good run against jay westwood yesterday and im happy to say its only lacking punch off the corners so a different pinion gear should cure that at the next race
Old 07-25-2013, 01:40 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by MattW
The problem you have is that you have specified that you run with the Orion speedo. The speedo and motor and associated settings are linked, you can't comment on one without the other. I'd say that the combo you run is fairly unusual, so there isn't likely to be a huge amount of advice.

By visual appearance, I'd say there is a fair chance that the GM and Vampire are made by the same OEM, that doesn't mean that they are the same. In fairness, in stock motor terms, there is unlikely to be a huge difference, but the mods use different rotors as an example - so they aren't "the same".
i probably havent worded it properly,most seem to use the lrp combo ie flow works and x12/x20 and these really seem to have high rpm where as the gm ? thats the bit of info im after how should it be geared,should i be seeking out the high rpm or stick with lower fdr,kv rating puts it at 28500 rpm ,
,motor temps are around 60/70c with 20 deg motor timing and maxed on the speedo,i dont want to have to change speedo,what i did work out was that i did run full endbell timing which ive been informed it doesnt like,in the colder weather motor temps were topping 130c so i have made an improvement,but after 2/3 laps it goes soft,and i dont think its my batteries as there fairly new ip shortys

ill also add that this is the only motor i have ran as im still getting to grips with the newer tech,last car i raced was in 2004 and was a tc3 with 12t brushed,so hence the reason for this thread,got back into tc 6 mths ago,what a learning curve its been
Old 07-25-2013, 06:21 AM
Bar
Tech Addict

It's probably the best motor for 13.5 boosted, i have tried many different motors, and none handle the heat as well as the GM does, i gear at 6.38, which is at bedworth, only usually gear up about a pinion for bigger tracks. My PB is with the timing on max, but i always start on std timing on a new motor, almost to run it in as such. I had to turn it down about a notch the last time i raced as it was a really hot day, and got to about 95deg, as soon as i dropped it down it went down to 70deg, and actually seemed to run a bit quicker, probably due to it running more efficient in the hot weather. I run a HW speedo, so can't help you with esc settings i'm afraid
Old 07-25-2013, 06:25 AM
Bar
Tech Addict

i probably havent worded it properly,most seem to use the lrp combo ie flow works and x12/x20 and these really seem to have high rpm where as the gm ? thats the bit of info im after how should it be geared,should i be seeking out the high rpm or stick with lower fdr,kv rating puts it at 28500 rpm ,
,motor temps are around 60/70c with 20 deg motor timing and maxed on the speedo,i dont want to have to change speedo,what i did work out was that i did run full endbell timing which ive been informed it doesnt like,in the colder weather motor temps were topping 130c so i have made an improvement,but after 2/3 laps it goes soft,and i dont think its my batteries as there fairly new ip shortys

ill also add that this is the only motor i have ran as im still getting to grips with the newer tech,last car i raced was in 2004 and was a tc3 with 12t brushed,so hence the reason for this thread,got back into tc 6 mths ago,what a learning curve its been
It could be because you are running shorty lipos, my brother ran them last last year in 13.5t boosted and he had the same problem going soft. I think in 17.5 blinky, shorty packs are fine, but not so sure in the 13.5 boosted class, see what everyone else thinks on here
Old 07-25-2013, 07:07 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Bar
It's probably the best motor for 13.5 boosted, i have tried many different motors, and none handle the heat as well as the GM does, i gear at 6.38, which is at bedworth, only usually gear up about a pinion for bigger tracks. My PB is with the timing on max, but i always start on std timing on a new motor, almost to run it in as such. I had to turn it down about a notch the last time i raced as it was a really hot day, and got to about 95deg, as soon as i dropped it down it went down to 70deg, and actually seemed to run a bit quicker, probably due to it running more efficient in the hot weather. I run a HW speedo, so can't help you with esc settings i'm afraid
i had the motor timing on max but then dropped it to 20 deg and it does seem faster as it allows the esc to do the work,your esc settings would give me an idea as the hw and orion are the same esc just branded differently

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.