R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 07:17 PM   #16
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

If you are looking to get into drifting or rather perfecting your skills, then this car will be right up your alley! Tons of affordable upgrades, and lots of support on the various forums.

I would highly recommend that you get the following though:

the 80A or 120A esc, I got the the hobby king 120A, and
2S batteries
10.5T brushless motor.

Dont worry about the bling hop ups until you get used to the chassis. Stuff like carbon fiber chassis can wait.

Do get the aluminum steering upgrade, wide angle CVD drive shafts for the front (Tamiya), Front one-way spool, aluminum suspension mounts for the front and rear. Keep in mind, most retailers are out of stock for some of these upgrades, they wont be stocked until late in june or later

The guys on the D3 thread have a list of what to get. Read that thread! Lots and lots of info on there. Also check driftmission.com. They have a lot of drifting info and its a very friendly forum for noobs like us

Get used to the chassis, it is picky and handles weird with stock setup. You will have to tune the kit (shocks, camber and toe in on the front end). Once you have it tuned and are used to how it handles, its a blast!

The other variable is tires, not all tires are created equal. I bought some from Raikou, the abs/dxpe/d70 package. Three types of material for different surfaces. I am liking the dxpe tires on smooth asphalt (like in parking lots).
Old 06-05-2013, 09:39 PM   #17
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galeleo View Post
If you are looking to get into drifting or rather perfecting your skills, then this car will be right up your alley! Tons of affordable upgrades, and lots of support on the various forums.

I would highly recommend that you get the following though:

the 80A or 120A esc, I got the the hobby king 120A, and
2S batteries
10.5T brushless motor.

Dont worry about the bling hop ups until you get used to the chassis. Stuff like carbon fiber chassis can wait.

Do get the aluminum steering upgrade, wide angle CVD drive shafts for the front (Tamiya), Front one-way spool, aluminum suspension mounts for the front and rear. Keep in mind, most retailers are out of stock for some of these upgrades, they wont be stocked until late in june or later

The guys on the D3 thread have a list of what to get. Read that thread! Lots and lots of info on there. Also check driftmission.com. They have a lot of drifting info and its a very friendly forum for noobs like us

Get used to the chassis, it is picky and handles weird with stock setup. You will have to tune the kit (shocks, camber and toe in on the front end). Once you have it tuned and are used to how it handles, its a blast!

The other variable is tires, not all tires are created equal. I bought some from Raikou, the abs/dxpe/d70 package. Three types of material for different surfaces. I am liking the dxpe tires on smooth asphalt (like in parking lots).

Great info man! love it! yea im not too keen on carbon chassis atm, it is mad but it can wait, but id like to upgrade a few of those plastic parts to aluminium like you said.

Also that sounds like the esc im looking into! the hobbyking x-car 120a! id like to use this battery:
Turnigy nano-tech 4400mah 3S 65~130C Lipo Pack

and im just searching for a motor that will suit those 2 well, prob around a 80a 6-12 turn motor, i wouldnt want a lower turn motor than that would i?

Is this battery a nice one for that esc? Id like a motor that fills up the amperage not too much but around 70% not much less than that, would you have any recomendations?

Thanks man! finnaly a down to earth person with some good advice lol!
Old 06-06-2013, 02:57 AM   #18
Tech Initiate

OK so heres what ive come up with!

Hobbyking X-Car 120A:
Continuous Current: 120A
Burst Current: 480A
Suitable Car: 1/10 on and off road
Battery: 2-3 cells Lipo (5-9 cells NI-xx)
BEC output: 5.7V/3A switch mode built-in
Motor type: Sensorless and sensored brushless motors
Running mode: Forward only or forward with reverse (user programmable mode)
Dimension: 43 x 36 x 33mm
Weight: 84g

Turnigy nano-tech 4400mah 3S 65~130C Lipo Pack

LEOPARD Boat 3650 KV3900 4 Poles Brushless Motor:
Max. Current: 86A
Lipo Cell: 2 - 3s
Max. Power: 1300W
Rotational Speed: 3900KV
Mounting Hole Depth: 6mm
Shaft Diameter: 3.175mm
Shaft Length: 16mm
Dimensions (Diameter x Length): 36mm x 50mm
Weight: 185g
Suitable Model: RC Car / Boat

I still think it might be a bit powerfull for the sakura d3, but if i dont thrash it and go pulling throttles like a 13 y/o pulls his u know what! i think i should be fine! especially when i make some nice upgrades to strengthen the drivetrain!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! thanks in advance guys!
Old 06-06-2013, 04:21 AM   #19
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace212 View Post
Thanks Galeleo! To be honest i have always been worried about the belts stripping and the d/train being weak, but im really into drift i own a 180sx type x in real life and i want a drift rc that looks exactly the same! Thats why i went with this in the first place, i might just go with a 80a exc/motor combo from turnigy, and focus on a very fast one instead of putting more focus into this one, you are right i dont want to have to keep on changing belts/ drivetrain parts, but i have seen all the upgrades available for the d3 and there are LOADS! so im sure it could be turned into something that it is not from factory, but i might just calm down on this one, get it finished looking like my real 180sx (240 for you guys) and focus on a bulletproof chassis/drivetrain for HIGH speed runs! thanks heaps for your time and knowledge i appreciate it, the other bloke just tried to shut me down on a 100mph buggy but ive seen soooo many crack it so im not going to just forget about it lol! thanks man!
you admit to being a newbie to the hobby and then you insult people for the comments and opinions,why bother asking if your not willing to listen,its your money go and waste it and be frustrated all the time when you cars break because there not designed to do what you want to do with them,in general if people go and make a buggy do 100 mph then its usually an old buggy that they can afford to smash up,buying a new one to do that is plain daft,if money is no oblect then why not have a drift car for drifting,a race car for high speed and a fast buggy for bashing,my xray t4 can do 70mph on a 2s battery,its all about gearing,you will burn out the motor and esc if you get it wrong,good luck and please post the vids,i love watching people smash their cars up,saves me the hassle,good luck
Old 06-06-2013, 05:01 AM   #20
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

If you are resolute that you want 3S batteries, make sure you are aware of the dimensions of the pack. Space is limited in the D3 height wise. The battery must be able to clear the upper deck on the chassis. Also of note, the chassis is designed for a 540 style motor and most do not like to be run on 3S batteries as they will overheat to the point that the magnets will lose their strength and the motor will not work.

I bought this battery, take note of the dimensions. This battery just fits. Anything bigger will require some mods to the chassis.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...APPROVED_.html
Old 06-06-2013, 05:27 AM   #21
Tech Initiate

Galeleo: i have been keeping an eye on dimensions, the batt i mentioned is 1cm longer than the one you mentioned, this is why im waiting till the chassis is in my hands and assembled till i start ordering other parts, even if it doesnt fit, i doubt it would take much modifaction to make it fit tho maybe im wrong, the hieght was the main thing i was looking at and its still 25mm high, that leopard motor says it can handle 3s, and if it gets too hot or whateva i could just buy a few 2s and use them instead, i think i come across the wrong way, im not going to thrash the hell out of it, i just want some nice power there to be used here and there & also something i can use to get used to rc while im going to build a very fast one.. I was thinking i was going to be spending alot more on this drift car so with a motor that only costs 60 bucks and a esc that costs 30, say 30 on a servo + transmitter/receiver, thats not much at all, so the 100mph+ rc will be getting started alot sooner than i expected!

Im just going to order this esc/motor combo even if i have to use a 2s, we will just see how i go..

Last edited by Cpt.America; 06-06-2013 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Stop calling people names, and flaming.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:40 AM   #22
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgroves View Post
100mph in a straight line? Forget the buggy it isn't designed with suspension or aero to be stable at those speeds, go buy an XO-1 and find some empty asphalt well away from anybody or anything else. Realize there is a 99% chance you will write it off in the first day at those speeds. Go look on youtube and search for XO-1 and you'll find hours and hours of video of people converting XO-1s into plastic debris.
STUPID ASS XO-1!!!!
What's the point of going 100mph in a straight line?
At my LHS there's a guy in there (I'm going to say everyday) cause every time I go there he's there spending hundreds and even thousands of dollars trying to go faster, what's the point.
Any track racing is much more fun and even the learning about how the car works and setups kind of carries over to full scale cars.
Racing is the best part of this hobby, if I didn't race I wouldn't have a RC car, I'd fly a heli or plane
Old 06-06-2013, 05:55 AM   #23
Tech Initiate

i have a plane aswell, just waiting for mt tx/rx to arrive so i can get it in the air!

thats what i mean JOE, i want a very fast off road buggy or small truck, the drift car is on road why would i get another on road, i think drift car and 1 off road rc is enough for me for now, im also going to start on a fast blackwing drone from hobbyking soon aswell, those 4 units should be enough fun for at least a year or 2 lol..

theres no need to put people down because they are doing what they want, its good to guide them in the right direction, not emply that they are stupid or wateva your trying to do..

if i wanted an xo-1 i would of got one, i want to build my own from scratch, with my own selection of parts, because what joe said is what i enjoy also, learning how they work and its amazing how close they are to real cars and the adjustibility they have! Im no racer yet, i need some more experience before i even think about going to the track lol
Old 06-06-2013, 06:53 AM   #24
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOE SI View Post
STUPID ASS XO-1!!!!
What's the point of going 100mph in a straight line?
I don't think there is a point, its not something I enjoy, I prefer racing. But (and I mean this with no sarcasm) If that is what the OP wants to do, go and do it, have fun and push the limits. I was simply suggesting an option for a turn-key vehicle that would give the speeds the OP was looking for and was designed for that purpose. I wasn't shutting anyone down or saying its a bad idea, I did comment that at those speeds minor accidents tend to be very destructive and just wanted to make sure the OP was prepared for the very real possibility that going at those speeds can be expensive in terms of equipment only because I didn't want them to be disappointed or discouraged in pursuing the RC hobby.

It was simply a suggestion and was meant in a positive tone and for that I've been called a "mofo", stupid, etc by the OP.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:21 AM   #25
Tech Initiate

wateva mate, thanks anyway, im going through alot of parts that im going to order to getter the d3 all over, im just worried about stripping belts so im gonna order a say 2 for backup..

how would i go about getting the tyres to spin 50/50?
what gearing would be best, id want to be right in the middle of top speed and acceleration?

im gonna get alum pullies, bearing set, one way diff, allum pinion gear, ill leavee spur plastic incase something has to break and hopefully itl be that first! ssk driveshaft, spacers, n a few other bits and pieces to start off with, ill wait for these to come then assemble it all at once..

looking forward to this, i just wanted to build em from scratch it makes it soo much more interesting and fun..
Old 06-06-2013, 08:52 AM   #26
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

chasingthepack= one jelous mofo...it aint my fault u have to scrape up every last dollar for your parts and you rc's still go lyk crap.. thats y im here for advice not to get told forget about it... what advice are you giving? it just sounds lyk your jelous why else would u say stuff like that for no reason, if you aint got advice GGF!!

I doubt he's jealous. His T4 prob cost over a grand. So I doubt he is scraping together for parts. We are trying to give you advice on how to not get started in this hobby. Some of the stuff you are mentioning is going to be sitting on your bench doing nothing once you realize they are not suited for what you want. Most of us that posted to help you prob have more tied up in these cars then you will ever have. If you don't like the advice then just say thanks, but I'm going to go a different way. Remember. You asked for the help. These people have learned what to do and what not to do by trial and error. So when newbs ask for advice they tell what works so you don't have to waste your time and money. But hey, it's your money so waste it if you want. But don't start insulting people for trying to help you.

XRAY T4'14/ORCA VXX/ORCA TX 5.0
XRAY XB8'14

Last edited by Jerz616; 06-06-2013 at 11:53 AM.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:56 AM   #27
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerz616 View Post
chasingthepack= one jelous mofo...it aint my fault u have to scrape up every last dollar for your parts and you rc's still go lyk crap.. thats y im here for advice not to get told forget about it... what advice are you giving? it just sounds lyk your jelous why else would u say stuff like that for no reason, if you aint got advice GGF!!

I doubt he's jealous. His T4 prob cost over a grand. Do I doubt he is scraping together for parts. We are trying to give you advice on how to not get started in this hobby. Somebody the stuff you are mentioning are going to be sitting on your bench going nothing once you realize they are not suited for what you want. Most of us that posted to help you prob have more tied up in these cars then you will ever have. If you don't like the advice then just say thanks, but I'm going to go a different way. Remember. You asked for the help. These people have learned what to do and what not to do by trial and error. So when newbs ask for advice they tell what works do you don't have to waste your time and money. But hey, it's your money so waste it if you want. But don't start insulting people for trying to help you.
thanks jerz616
roflmao,at this childs comments,wind your neck in and grow up keyboard warrior,i own my own haulage company so i doubt im scraping every last pound together,but instead of wasting your time on a great hobby why not get an education first and learn to spell,if you cant grasp the basics in life what use are you,ill leave it there

Last edited by chasingthepack; 06-06-2013 at 10:18 AM.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:56 PM   #28
Tech Initiate

if you own your own haulage company ytf would you waste your time posting stupid ass things LOL.. go find sumfn better to do with your time if your such a bigshot..

Prob cost over a grand? WOW, thats what i was planning to spend on the d3, then bout double that on the 100mph project or even tripple if it comes to it..

you americans are sooo scewed up, yous go to war fighting for your own country thats screwing YOU up the rear! Yous go and kill innocent women and children in afgan/iraq and come back thinking you have done something great! The twin towers were setup, boston bomming were too, You claim that these arabs are terrorists, Do you know the meaning of a terrorist? "the act of destruction is performed by a person or group of persons to someone elses home or land" sounds like the only terrorists here are you americans!

Soldiers are mere pawns being used! SO dumb to leave their familys at home and go die for a country that are the real torrorists! All of you americans are sooo naive, i could rave on all day about how you pawns are being used to better you govnmt, but you are THAT NAIVE that yous absolutely can not beleive it, but guess what its true!
Old 06-06-2013, 07:30 PM   #29
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I think this thread has run it's course. Everybody move on.
- RCSpecialties -
Closed Thread