R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-05-2013, 03:24 AM   #1
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 104
Default Hot Weather Racing

What do people change as the day gets hotter/warmer on asphalt?

i would expect all wt of oils to increase etc

Do people lower the temp of the tyre warmers? or does there become a point at which you dont even use warmers?

whats the rule of thumb with additive, thinner when its warmer or thicker?

we use sorex 32s outdoor

Thanks
Nathan Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:45 AM   #2
Tech Elite
 
Skiddins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Windsor, UK
Posts: 4,761
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Wilson View Post
What do people change as the day gets hotter/warmer on asphalt?

i would expect all wt of oils to increase etc

Do people lower the temp of the tyre warmers? or does there become a point at which you dont even use warmers?

whats the rule of thumb with additive, thinner when its warmer or thicker?

we use sorex 32s outdoor

Thanks
As temps get higher I tend to run thicker oil in the shocks and gear diff as temps do effect them.

I still tend to use tyre warmers but gradually turn them down as the track gets warmer, so as not to overheat the tyres too much during a run.

The additive will normally stay the same as this is dependant on the make up of track surface etc to begin with, not it's temperature.

I try to stay away from too many setup changes to links etc as if the track temp starts to drop due to cloud or wind, it can cause me all sorts of problems.
I find that as the temp increases, the car understeers more, but eventually it will reach a point where the tyres will start to be too hot during the run and you get oversteer.

Skiddins
__________________
Xray T4'18, T4'14 (Wet Car)
Xray X12 2018
Xray X1'16
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:50 AM   #3
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 104
Default

Thanks Skiddins,

what rule do you use with additive then as you said it depends on the surfaces, thick for low grip thin for high grip or vice versa?

Thanks
Nathan Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:01 AM   #4
Tech Elite
 
Skiddins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Windsor, UK
Posts: 4,761
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Wilson View Post
Thanks Skiddins,

what rule do you use with additive then as you said it depends on the surfaces, thick for low grip thin for high grip or vice versa?

Thanks
It depends on the type of asphalt and how old it is etc. There is no solid rule.
I'm afraid you just need to try the different types at the tracks to see what works best.
Best bet is to ask locals what works when you race there.

Skiddins
__________________
Xray T4'18, T4'14 (Wet Car)
Xray X12 2018
Xray X1'16
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:04 AM   #5
Tech Addict
 
chasingthepack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: hanworth uk
Posts: 728
Default

have you ever used 36r's i still grain up 32's on a cool day
__________________
yokomo bd7 16_lrp works team-trinity d4 17.5_futaba 4pks_futaba bls
wet/damp car xray t4-14-r10 pro-team wave 17.5 savox 1251
chasingthepack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:40 AM   #6
Tech Elite
 
Skiddins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Windsor, UK
Posts: 4,761
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingthepack View Post
have you ever used 36r's i still grain up 32's on a cool day
At what track?
I've only ever run 36's at WLRC when the track gets very hot.

At Aldershot the tyres grain more than West London, but at West London older tyres work fine until canvass is showing, at Aldershot you can get two good runs, one slightly down on pace, then the drop off is big.

When WLRC had the tarmac first relaid, the tyres looked smooth after every run, in fact they looked like they were being run on carpet. But as the tarmac ages and it all gets dusty and dirty it wears them a bit more.

Skiddins
__________________
Xray T4'18, T4'14 (Wet Car)
Xray X12 2018
Xray X1'16
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:35 AM   #7
Tech Addict
 
chasingthepack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: hanworth uk
Posts: 728
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddins View Post
At what track?
I've only ever run 36's at WLRC when the track gets very hot.

At Aldershot the tyres grain more than West London, but at West London older tyres work fine until canvass is showing, at Aldershot you can get two good runs, one slightly down on pace, then the drop off is big.

When WLRC had the tarmac first relaid, the tyres looked smooth after every run, in fact they looked like they were being run on carpet. But as the tarmac ages and it all gets dusty and dirty it wears them a bit more.

Skiddins
i noticed that west london doesnt wear tyres much now,the old surface would kill the front left within 3 rounds,2002 spashett or drescher cant remember exactly ran cs 27 front left and cs22 on the others,i was thinking along the same lines for amcc,36r fl and 32's on the others,if the 36 doesnt grain then the grip should last longer,whats your thoughts ,is it something worth doing with the current rubber? suppose its one of them things ill have to try out one day
__________________
yokomo bd7 16_lrp works team-trinity d4 17.5_futaba 4pks_futaba bls
wet/damp car xray t4-14-r10 pro-team wave 17.5 savox 1251
chasingthepack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:39 AM   #8
Tech Elite
 
JayL's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ca
Posts: 2,880
Default

Define hot.
my track get's up to 170F
then I start running sorex 40r
__________________
MOD: A800X LRP FlowX X22 4.5T|||VTA: A700 Orca VX3 R1 25.5V16 |||F1:
Roche EVO R1 Digital-2 R1 21.5V16|||Sanwa M12S|||iCharger 406Duo
JayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:46 AM   #9
Tech Addict
 
chasingthepack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: hanworth uk
Posts: 728
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayL View Post
Define hot.
my track get's up to 170F
then I start running sorex 40r
in the uk if we get a good summer then track temps can get to about 60/70c air temps can reach around 35c
at the mo track temps have been around 35c and air around 20c
__________________
yokomo bd7 16_lrp works team-trinity d4 17.5_futaba 4pks_futaba bls
wet/damp car xray t4-14-r10 pro-team wave 17.5 savox 1251
chasingthepack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:20 PM   #10
Tech Champion
 
AdrianM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,914
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

I race in Florida and it gets very hot here. We run Solaris hard premounts and they work great. I have used Sorex 36R and they are fast for 2 runs then fall of drastically. Honestly I wish TakeOff was still around. CS27's and RP30's were not as fast as the newest tires but they would maintain consistent lap times and feel for 3 or 4 runs in Mod and a lot longer in Spec classes (5-6 runs) even on hot abrasive asphalt.

Trinity Tire Tweak and Gravity R/C LG2 are thick oil based compounds that make tires stick and last in hot conditions.

Car setup and driving is critical in hot conditions. If you have a slight push you will roast your front tires. If you drive hard and pitch your car you will roast all your tires. you have to set up your car to stick and drive it within the limits to go fast. Especially at limited control tire events.
__________________
Adrian Martinez
What I run: Schumacher Mi5/Associated RC10R5.1/Associated RC12R5.2/Futaba/HobbyWing/Team EA Motorsports/BSR Racing
Where I run: Florida Indoor R/C Complex/Thunder Racing/Florida On Road State Series
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:30 PM   #11
Tech Elite
 
Skiddins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Windsor, UK
Posts: 4,761
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingthepack View Post
i noticed that west london doesnt wear tyres much now,the old surface would kill the front left within 3 rounds,2002 spashett or drescher cant remember exactly ran cs 27 front left and cs22 on the others,i was thinking along the same lines for amcc,36r fl and 32's on the others,if the 36 doesnt grain then the grip should last longer,whats your thoughts ,is it something worth doing with the current rubber? suppose its one of them things ill have to try out one day
On Sunday I ran a new set in round 3 and used the same tyres until the 2nd final, when I swapped the tyres left to right and right to left (to see if I could get any steering back as the outside tyre was getting a bit thin), my best lap was actually slightly quicker on the swapped tyres than the 1st final where they were on their 4th run (less than 0.1 though).

Personally I wouldn't bother putting different compounds on as it can create other problems.

To the American's, I think our definition of 'hot weather' might be slightly different to your's

My local track is typically around 20-25degC surface temp during the season. If it warms up and we get a day with just sunshine the track can get as high as 55degC. Bare in mind we tend to run 32 tyres and you can see we have to manage setups a little differently. Particularly at nationals where Sorex 32RY's are the only tyre allowed.
__________________
Xray T4'18, T4'14 (Wet Car)
Xray X12 2018
Xray X1'16
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk

Last edited by Skiddins; 06-06-2013 at 12:41 PM.
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:11 PM   #12
Tech Addict
 
chasingthepack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: hanworth uk
Posts: 728
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddins View Post
On Sunday I ran a new set in round 3 and used the same tyres until the 2nd final, when I swapped the tyres left to right and right to left (to see if I could get any steering back as the outside tyre was getting a bit thin), my best lap was actually slightly quicker on the swapped tyres than the 1st final where they were on their 4th run (less than 0.1 though).

Personally I wouldn't bother putting different compounds on as it can create other problems.

.
i made a bad decision in the second final to put an old set of rears on the front and when i turned in the car span out did 3 laps and pulled off,they just had too much grip against the worn rears that id left on,swapping sides would have been a better option,ah well something else ive learned,looking good for this weekend,bookings are up in all classes,should be a good day
__________________
yokomo bd7 16_lrp works team-trinity d4 17.5_futaba 4pks_futaba bls
wet/damp car xray t4-14-r10 pro-team wave 17.5 savox 1251
chasingthepack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:49 PM   #13
Tech Champion
 
RedBullFiXX's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Intergalactic Planetary
Posts: 6,542
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddins View Post
On Sunday I ran a new set in round 3 and used the same tyres until the 2nd final, when I swapped the tyres left to right and right to left (to see if I could get any steering back as the outside tyre was getting a bit thin), my best lap was actually slightly quicker on the swapped tyres than the 1st final where they were on their 4th run (less than 0.1 though).

Personally I wouldn't bother putting different compounds on as it can create other problems.

To the American's, I think our definition of 'hot weather' might be slightly different to your's

My local track is typically around 20-25degC surface temp during the season. If it warms up and we get a day with just sunshine the track can get as high as 55degC. Bare in mind we tend to run 32 tyres and you can see we have to manage setups a little differently. Particularly at nationals where Sorex 32RY's are the only tyre allowed.
55c is on the low to mid end of the surface temp scale in So-Cal for most of the year, Sorex36 are most common here

It's not unusual to see 25-30c carpet temps either
__________________
--> 12th scale Information Source <--

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:56 PM   #14
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 278
Default

Regards to tyre additive Nathan. Use mr33 at Stafford. Tested a few there and that was found to work the best. Keep it out of direct sunlight if it is hot too. That way it works better.
Mi4cxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:33 PM   #15
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: In a house
Posts: 226
Default

Do people tend to alter roll centers,to get the car to free up more keep tyres little cooler
Quietman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 01:57 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net