R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-03-2013, 06:17 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default My 1st On-Road Race Results - I'm Hooked!

This last Saturday my LHS held a night race and it was a blast! I've only raced one time about 20 years ago, so this was my 1st organized race with multiple heats. I ran in the Novice class using a 21.5T motor and ended up TQ'ing and taking 2nd place overall in the A-Main, racing against 4 other guys.

The guy I bought my car from saw me do some practice laps earlier in the day and noticed I was having some issues, so he helped me out a lot with some adjustments and he even ran some laps with the car himself and told me I desperately need to buy new tires. I kinda figured I did b/c the car was all over the place and hard to control. But other than that, I can't tell what the car is doing and I wouldn't have a clue on what adjustments it needs. I think this is my biggest concern as the good drivers know their car and know how to correct issues to drive better. I guess I just need more time to learn the car and how to discern what tweaks need to be made.

Since I didn't have the money for new tires ($45 for the Sorex 32 ones that all the guys recommend) I just ran the old tires as is since it was a Club race and not a Series race (which tracks your points and you can win gift cards, etc.). But this coming Saturday is a Series race, so I'll see if I can afford the tires then. How long will new tires last? It's at night so the temps are a little cooler maybe between 80-90 degrees??? But up to 100 during the day. I was also thinking if I can't afford new tires right now, maybe using the old tires could make me a better driver later, as I have to work harder on controlling the car and turning. I just don't have any reference point right now but hopefully that will change with more time.

And yeah...I've been bitten by the race bug guys...and I am HOOOOOOOOOOOKED!!!!

Here are the print outs for my 2 qualifying races and the Main race for Novice (I'm Car# 1)...
Attached Thumbnails
My 1st On-Road Race Results - I'm Hooked!-round-1.jpg   My 1st On-Road Race Results - I'm Hooked!-round-2.jpg   My 1st On-Road Race Results - I'm Hooked!-round-3.jpg  
Nickerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:09 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Nick I have some tires you can run if you need any help let me know and I will do my best to get you going. Jason was sick after he drove your car and was kicking himself for letting it go, now he has to buy another car!
With you being new to this a set of tires will last a whole series. I have been running the same set Of RP30 for 4 races.
Check us out at:
http://localrcracing.freeforums.org/...aceway-f7.html

http://localrcracing.freeforums.org/
HobbyTown Fresno, Ca. McAllister Racing, Visa/MasterCard's

Last edited by vivo quevas; 06-03-2013 at 09:39 PM.
vivo quevas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:35 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickerz View Post
This last Saturday my LHS held a night race and it was a blast! I've only raced one time about 20 years ago, so this was my 1st organized race with multiple heats. I ran in the Novice class using a 21.5T motor and ended up TQ'ing and taking 2nd place overall in the A-Main, racing against 4 other guys.

The guy I bought my car from saw me do some practice laps earlier in the day and noticed I was having some issues, so he helped me out a lot with some adjustments and he even ran some laps with the car himself and told me I desperately need to buy new tires. I kinda figured I did b/c the car was all over the place and hard to control. But other than that, I can't tell what the car is doing and I wouldn't have a clue on what adjustments it needs. I think this is my biggest concern as the good drivers know their car and know how to correct issues to drive better. I guess I just need more time to learn the car and how to discern what tweaks need to be made.

Since I didn't have the money for new tires ($45 for the Sorex 32 ones that all the guys recommend) I just ran the old tires as is since it was a Club race and not a Series race (which tracks your points and you can win gift cards, etc.). But this coming Saturday is a Series race, so I'll see if I can afford the tires then. How long will new tires last? It's at night so the temps are a little cooler maybe between 80-90 degrees??? But up to 100 during the day. I was also thinking if I can't afford new tires right now, maybe using the old tires could make me a better driver later, as I have to work harder on controlling the car and turning. I just don't have any reference point right now but hopefully that will change with more time.

And yeah...I've been bitten by the race bug guys...and I am HOOOOOOOOOOOKED!!!!

Here are the print outs for my 2 qualifying races and the Main race for Novice (I'm Car# 1)...
Just my $.02, but at your level (at most levels) running a longer life tire will get you 95% of the performance and will treat you very nicely. Comparable to the Sorex 32 are the Team Powers 34 tires, spec tire at the Reedy race this year. The tire lasts a long time and doesn't fade too badly over 10-15+ runs. They can usually be had for about $30 a set. Call NorCal hobbies, they can find a local dealer or ship to you.

Good luck, and great to hear you had a great time!
Ethan
Old 06-03-2013, 11:38 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

The track we have is low wear on the tires it is a sealed asphualt surface treated with a sryup out of a high volume sprayer that gives the track good grip low wear.
Tim Copp was here saturday racing he TQ by 2 sec and won 17.5 he's a Norcal guy more you guy's need to make the trip out here and race!
Our LHS is a Team Power Dist. me and couple of other guy's that race here use TP tires. I used them more when we were day racing since we went to nights it allows me to run my 30's. I use to run them alot last year when I bought a bunch of them after the Reedy Race. I will buy some now that the Reedy is over for this year. I met Nick a couple weeks back and for his first race him and the other 2 novices raced really cleaned and they all will be good racers. Our club just celebrated it's first year of racing this past weekend we have a beatiful track we are installing more lights this week and we had 38 drivers at last Saturday's race.
We are repainting our track and making many upgrades to our track!
Attached Thumbnails
My 1st On-Road Race Results - I'm Hooked!-dsc_0019.jpg   My 1st On-Road Race Results - I'm Hooked!-img_0017.jpg   My 1st On-Road Race Results - I'm Hooked!-img_0016.jpg  

http://localrcracing.freeforums.org/
HobbyTown Fresno, Ca. McAllister Racing, Visa/MasterCard's
vivo quevas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:41 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by erchn View Post
Just my $.02, but at your level (at most levels) running a longer life tire will get you 95% of the performance and will treat you very nicely. Comparable to the Sorex 32 are the Team Powers 34 tires, spec tire at the Reedy race this year. The tire lasts a long time and doesn't fade too badly over 10-15+ runs. They can usually be had for about $30 a set. Call NorCal hobbies, they can find a local dealer or ship to you.

Good luck, and great to hear you had a great time!
Ethan
+1 on the Team Powers 34's! I have been running mine for about three race days now and are still tacky as hell when cleaned. Its good to start out with a new tire so you can eliminate that from being the problem. Vivo, can help you since he's local. 80-90 degrees at night. Got to love Fresno. haha
Josh-n-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:15 AM   #6
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivo quevas View Post
Nick I have some tires you can run if you need any help let me know and I will do my best to get you going. Jason was sick after he drove your car and was kicking himself for letting it go, now he has to buy another car!
With you being new to this a set of tires will last a whole series. I have been running the same set Of RP30 for 4 races.
Check us out at:
http://localrcracing.freeforums.org/...aceway-f7.html

Awe, thanks Brian! You and Jason are the best and always looking out for others! I really appreciate that!!! I should be able to scrape together some money by this weekend for tires and I wouldn't mind saving some money and trying the Team Power tires. So what compound do you think is best for our night racing? I hear it's suppose to be 108 degrees this Saturday - YIKES!

YOU DID A GREAT JOB ON THE TRACK BTW! There were a ton of people there Saturday night and it just made it even more fun!!! Can't wait for this Saturday...except for the 108 temps. At least it's night racing...and that's why!
Attached Thumbnails
My 1st On-Road Race Results - I'm Hooked!-108-degrees.png  
- ESC: Turnigy Trackstar 80A Turbo Sensored Brushless
- Servo: Savox SC-1251MG

Last edited by Nickerz; 06-04-2013 at 04:51 PM.
Nickerz is offline   Reply With Quote