R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-26-2013, 10:56 AM   #376
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meilleur View Post
Kraig,

If I have to make a change to a my registration as far as changing a class, who do I notify?
Drop me a pm and I will see about getting it done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goots View Post
what are lipo charging rules at the event?
I understand there are some chargers out there that can charge at a very high amp rate for our cells. So we will have to take safety precautions, such as charging in a Lipo Bag and not while the battery is in your car. There maybe other rules too but I don't have the final word on them as of today.

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.

Sometimes I post just to look at my avatar.
Kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:57 AM   #377
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspGadgt View Post
Lipo sacks are required...they do check voltage at tech right before you go on track...outside of that I'm not sure.
And the temperature of the batteries when you go thru tech.

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.

Sometimes I post just to look at my avatar.
Kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:08 AM   #378
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekin Prez View Post
How slow should the Spec GT class be and what is the best setup to get there and provide equal speed?

Spec mode in esc and set motor timing is decent, but there is always some variance in true sensor positions and the indicator marks on the can unless each motor is actually measured.

Another option is our dual mode where we start with sensors but run sensorless. This eliminates the sensors completely and assures all the motors have the exact same amount of timing. With a FDR limit you can literally set any speed and have all cars be very equal. IE if you want 17.5 speed use 4.0, if you want 21.5 speed use 5.0 FDR.

Just an idea worth considering for ‘true spec’ classes and a way to slow things down other than hitting the limit where a slower motor melts. Pending the FDR the motors could literally be not much more than room temp at the end of the run and provide consistent and equal speed for all the racers.
This would keep it fair for all and no one will have extra timing , plus the cars are still on good pace.

Mr. Shookie goes home 10-06-08. Bill Levinson 4-14-15
F. Mendoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:11 AM   #379

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I like the idea of Spec GT being forced into dual mode. Is there a way to lock down the ESC's or tech them to make sure they are still in that mode though? Removing the sensors from the equation of performance makes it a much more controlled class IMHO. Define FDR and be done with it!
Old 08-26-2013, 11:18 AM   #380
Tech Champion

If can be done with the first gen through the PC. I hear the new gen works with the same software. I would think the Locked Spec Mode can be used. So I'd say yes.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:20 AM   #381

Wasn't locked spec mode just for making it 0 timing? I didn't think you could lock spec mode for dualmode configurations? I haven't used a hotwire or tekin in about a year though and cant remember.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:25 AM   #382
Tech Initiate

the motors were locked last year..no timing..and a fdr of 4.5 I believe..no cars were faster or slower..very even when it came to speed..i don't know about timing..i for one don't like having to run sensorless..just lock a mode into the speedo..shouldn't be that hard
team az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:40 PM   #383
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
How slow should the Spec GT class be and what is the best setup to get there and provide equal speed?
Trick question, since nobody likes to go to these big events to go slow; however, imho, if the FDR isn't a large difference to what the other 17.5 classes run then there isn't a point to the class.

2 and 3 years ago I was the only person running an older shaft drive car at IIC (TC3 in the amature class), but it was great to see people last year bringing out their older cars to run in the spec class - my buddy even brought a TT-01 and had a great time getting to run. I liked that the timing was fixed at 0, the gear ratio was at 4.5, allowing older cars to be competitive.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:58 PM   #384
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:

Spec mode in esc and set motor timing is decent, but there is always some variance in true sensor positions and the indicator marks on the can unless each motor is actually measured.

Another option is our dual mode where we start with sensors but run sensorless. This eliminates the sensors completely and assures all the motors have the exact same amount of timing. With a FDR limit you can literally set any speed and have all cars be very equal. IE if you want 17.5 speed use 4.0, if you want 21.5 speed use 5.0 FDR.

Just an idea worth considering for ‘true spec’ classes and a way to slow things down other than hitting the limit where a slower motor melts. Pending the FDR the motors could literally be not much more than room temp at the end of the run and provide consistent and equal speed for all the racers.
+1 and...
If there was a way to limit RPM, then battery voltage, capacity, etc, would also be mostly taken out of the equation.... but you might have to use sensored mode to make that happen. ( my bro has been pushing the idea of an RPM limiter for a while now )

Jake D.

Last edited by Magnet Top; 08-26-2013 at 01:37 PM.
Magnet Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:23 PM   #385

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pirate View Post
Trick question, since nobody likes to go to these big events to go slow; however, imho, if the FDR isn't a large difference to what the other 17.5 classes run then there isn't a point to the class.
Agreed, and "being slow" is all relative. All these cars are slow compared to their mod brethren. A close/competitive VTA race could feel like the fastest and exciting compared to a faster class that's strung out over 3 laps worth of distance.

Spec GT should be made to focus less on electronics and the latest and greatest (we have the other 17.5 classes for that) and focus on close competitive racing. I still am completely baffled why the weight is so low in this class though... doesn't that unfairly handicap the older chassis?
Old 08-26-2013, 05:23 PM   #386
Team Tekin

We are happy to do it either way.

We can run blinky and lock down the timing in the motors.

Or
We can run dual mode and ignore the timing in the motors completely. For those concerned about driving sensorless you will never know the difference. We use the sensors anytime the motor slows down enough we need to for perfect smooth control. Our Rx8 controller only runs dual mode.

Regardless we need to choose a FDR. Same as last year or slower?

We do think there should be a difference between 'true spec' classes and stock classes. Stock is a very competitive race class that takes all the skills of wrenching, setup and driving to get it all. True Spec should be easier to be on pace, and slower.

Last edited by Tekin Prez; 08-26-2013 at 05:34 PM.
Tekin Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:35 PM   #387
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:

+1
very interesting idea Jim. i hope you push for sensorless and 21.5 w/o an FDR limit. simplest thing to tech -- should be pretty fair.
FJ / ROAR #2-122945 / MaxRotation FPV Drone Racing / [email protected] Awesomatix USA / Wild Turbo Fan / Mon-Tech Racing / RocheRC USA / Side Piece /
LRP / John's BSR Tires / TeamEAM / TQ Wire / R1 / Team Scream / PCR / MIX
RacerLog wiki Awesomatix A700 / 2wd offroad 4 life
hanulec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:39 PM   #388

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanulec View Post
+1
very interesting idea Jim. i hope you push for sensorless and 21.5 w/o an FDR limit. simplest thing to tech -- should be pretty fair.
I agree with this, having Spec GT being slow and close racing like VTA tends to be would be best to set it apart from the other 17.5 classes. It would also be closer to what USGT is.

I'm running Stock, Amateur, and Spec GT and wouldn't mind having spec GT be a bit different.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:02 PM   #389
Tech Champion

With a 21.5 and no FDR limit will have guys smoking motors. You don't want to see motors smoke either. 17.5 with a FDR limit cars remain equally as fast. Or run the 21.5 with a FDR limit. Keep the cars at equal speed and lock down the motors too.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:21 PM   #390
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

I would vote Dual mode with FDR limit. That way you keep guys from burning up motors every race just to win. There would be no question about if one guys car is faster than another, at least it wouldn't be because of electronics.