Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
WHY are ROAR Rules So Inconsistent and Impractical... >

WHY are ROAR Rules So Inconsistent and Impractical...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WHY are ROAR Rules So Inconsistent and Impractical...

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 05:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default WHY are ROAR Rules So Inconsistent and Impractical...

Article quoted from Xtreme RC Cars magazine
An open letter to ROAR
From Ernest N. Provetti - CEO Trinity Products INC.

Why in the world would ROAR allow brushed and brushless motors to run together in one class when they have tow different sets of rules for each motor group? Brush and Brushless are 2 completely different technologies. What's next? Running 1/8th pan nitro cars and 1/12th electric cars in the same race? Makes just about as much sense.

Why would they change the rules 2 weeks before the Nationals?

Why would ROAR allow the eventual winner of the Carpet National Championships tell the ROAR officials at that event they would not look or inspect his motor before or after the race? What would have been the reaction at the race if a Trinity driver did this at the race?

Why did the ROAR representative at the race have no idea of the brushless rules or how to tech a brushless motor?

WHy were the rules written to favor the Novak style motor leaving Hacker the biggest seller and pioneer of RC car brushless motors out in the cold?

Why would ROAR allow Jon Orr (the eventual winner of the Carpet Nationals) to enter a brushless motor (Reedy Sphere) that is not available to the public and did not meet the minimum requirement quantity to make the motor legal? This made a mockery of the race.

Whay does ROAR then allow the brushless to run in a separate class (the way it should be) at the oval nationals and not all the other races? How inconsistent and confusing does ROAR want people to interpret them and their rules?

Why does ROAR allow a price increase for brushed motors at a time when the economy is so bad and people are concerned about how much money they are spending on their hobbies? The only rational reason is to make the brushless motors more palatable to the consumers instead of jamming it down the membership's throats.
Old 05-25-2005, 06:24 PM
KMW
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

The specific rules, i.e. why Hacker, Plettenberg, etc. were left out in the cold seems to be a question for IFMAR? I really don't think ROAR put much thought into their brushless rules--they literally look like someone cut and pasted the rules right off of the IFMAR site at the last minute. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. IFMAR also allowed brushed and brushless to run together in the same class for the 2006 Worlds, ROAR just seems to have "copied" that too.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

2006 worlds has not taken place yet.....nor have any in 2005 for electric.

In 2004, the Onroad worlds, brushless was NOT allowed....

And for offroad worlds this summer, the motors will need to be approved by ifmar and available to the public.

Later EddieO
Old 05-25-2005, 08:06 PM
KMW
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EddieO
2006 worlds has not taken place yet.....nor have any in 2005 for electric.
You misinterpreted my sentence (I don't see how since it's obvious the 2006 Worlds haven't happend yet). Read: IFMAR allowed brushed and brushless to run together in the same class [per the rules posted] for the 2006 Worlds. This happened before the ROAR rules existed.

In 2004, the Onroad worlds, brushless was NOT allowed....
Yeah, I know. I was there.

And for offroad worlds this summer, the motors will need to be approved by ifmar and available to the public.

Later EddieO
Correct, the same rules IFMAR posted awhile back. The only thing I don't know is where IFMAR got the rules from. Were they a proposal from another voting bloc, or ... That's why I said correct me if I'm wrong concerning the exact origin of the rules.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:09 PM
Tech Master

Mean Green!
Almighty Dollar!
Isn't that why anything is done in this Hobby?
Old 05-25-2005, 08:19 PM
Tech Master

Here is what we should do with ROAR.
Attached Thumbnails WHY are ROAR Rules So Inconsistent and Impractical...-donald.jpg  
Old 05-25-2005, 08:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Nice pic. lol It's just kind of irritating to keep hearing bad stuff from race after race....Hope things will get back to the better way soon.
Old 05-26-2005, 02:00 AM
Tech Adept

You guys need to look at the quality of the track and politics from the big team. ROAR wants to rotate and run the races at different locations but unfortunately many tracks are just not up to par. Those track owners probably just want to throw a big race, make 10k and keep the door open for another 6 months. They really don't care much about what's going on during the race since they got your entry fee ahead of time.
About following rules, I know the big teams pretty much do what they want. They bring enough drivers and you just can't tell them they can't run this or that, what if they threaten to walk out of the race? Especially nowadays, they can turn your 50 people National race into a 25 people race.
Old 05-26-2005, 06:23 AM
PMK
Tech Apprentice

Kind of sounds like the AMA motocross situation with four strokes and two strokes. IF they followed the rules as they wrote them for exhaust sound limits it might even up the displacement advantage the four strokes are given, especially since the AMA decided to copy europe and not allow leaded race gas which realy didn't help matters for the two strokes either.

Personally I would love to see a huge race both motocross / supercross or a ROAR national where the cars/bikes failed post race tech or during race sound limits and the drivers/riders were DQ'd.

It would be a tough day but next time out there might not be as severe a rules problem. And if you lost all the big names at a race, I would classify those electing not to run as cheaters that had nothing legal in their stash to use legally.

And I'm sure that one team is totallylegit and legal while the others aren't.

PK
Old 05-26-2005, 07:39 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

ROAR can't be fixed. Its too far gone. I tried for 4 years. I was on the Electric On Road Committee, I helped put on the 2004 IFMAR On Road Word. Now no one responds to emails or returns phone calls.

The guy putting on the 2005 On Road Nats can't get responses from ROAR either. Fortunately he is super sharp, has a nice track and regularly puts on races bigger then the average ROAR Nats. The 2005 On Road Nats is going to be a really great race.

Here is a pic of one of his Florida State Series Races. This one has 150 entries, A Harley Dealership brought bikes, Makes and Models Magazine brought their race BMW and 2 Swimsuit models. This is what a race should be. This was his old track. The new one is permanent.

Old 05-26-2005, 08:37 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Nice picture- Hectors right up front.Joe will do a good job as always. I will be there with the killer watch dog( it's extra if you can get her to bark). Adrian Joe has been in contact with me and another higher up for awhile. This race will be what everyone expects a national race to be like. You'll get a first class run event,run by first class personnel and a first class track.If your having a bad day qualifying there's places to go at night to take your worries away from racing.