R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-31-2006, 03:10 PM   #1411
Tech Addict

It's after the pack dumps, so it wouldnt warrent a cap. I just want to make sure there's nothing wrong with the Novak system because if there is I want to get it fixed before the warrenty ends, so I dont end up having to pay for it.

I did have the battery failsafe on, and that would make sense, because my failsafe setting is full brakes. Im just not sure if the pack would drop to 4.8 volts under load.
AE Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 03:26 PM   #1412
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

It's not the pack that drops down to 4.8V it's the BEC that does that. My car does the same thing, plugging a cap into the receiver stopped this. When you hit the throttle the motor sucks most of the power and the BEC's voltage dops below 4.8V. A cap will give the receiver power and will keep the voltage above 4.8V when you hit the throttle.

Sunshine Coast QLD AUSTRALIA

"If you stand still long enough you'll go backwards"
Drewdc90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 07:18 PM   #1413
Tech Addict

Thanks for the info. I'll try with the battery failsafe off first, and add a cap if necessary.
AE Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 08:21 PM   #1414
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Novak Brushless Stutter-Step

I have the 4.5 and it stutters when getting a very heavy load at lower battery levels. I run it offroad now and when I mash on the throttle late in a long run (like 10+ minutes offroad or 6+ minutes fast oval) it can stutter. Usually it is only once then it comes back to life, the instinctively I let off the throttle, give it a sec to come up to speed then hammer down. But the truck I run is much heavier and probably that's why it doesn't keep stuttering. Yes I can get it to run full blast w/o the load, wheels up.

One other time I get funky behavior was using an old AM radio before I got my Spektrum. I could run less than 3 minutes (old junk battery packs too) before it would go nuts on me. The massive power output would make my receiver go nuts and it was glitch heaven. Worse when batteries are low. Also I have managed to get even my spektrum to get the jitters when using this GTB speed control at low battery levels (even worse if transmitter is also lower battery level too).
swopemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 05:09 AM   #1415
Tech Fanatic

Sounds like a similar problem to what AE Racer had. Most of the racers at my club with the 4.5 run caps on the receiver's, it seems to happen more with spektrum receivers. Try a cap on the receiver.
Hope this helps.
Drew.

Old 09-01-2006, 06:04 AM   #1416
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

my problem is different, going full speed on straight shows no signs of glitching but turning into a corner at half throtle only on certain location it glitches. how come? weird? all my connections are good.
Old 09-01-2006, 06:07 AM   #1417
Tech Fanatic

It could be the servo causing the gitching, what servo are you running??

Old 09-01-2006, 06:07 AM   #1418
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I can echo Drew's recommendations...

I ran my spektrum previously without the cap and got strange glitches. Sometimes on low batts (dumped, or dumping), sometimes during cornering.. Sometimes not..

All I can conclude is that the BEC circuit is a bit weak. Running servo's in high load situations(cornering), or with the batt at low voltage caused glitching. Do yourself a favour and get the spekturm cap.

It's cheap and solves the problem 100%. I wouldn't run any spektrum rx without it now.
AngryAsian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 08:46 PM   #1419
Tech Adept

just ran the 3.5 velocity and this thing is sick. kept chirping the diffs out of the corners. lots more drag brake then the non sintered motors. prefer the feel of the others with lots of roll, but this thing just flat rocks. cant wait to pass some gas cars like thier standing still.
lonepalm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 11:01 PM   #1420
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewdc90
It could be the servo causing the gitching, what servo are you running??
im using s9550 servo
Old 09-02-2006, 02:31 PM   #1421
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Is there a time estimate on when the 13.5 motor will be ROAR legal?

When does ROAR come out with it's approvals? I am assuming Novak submitted this motor for approval right?
403forbidden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 12:33 AM   #1422
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

ROAR legal for what class It would be legal for the mod class... just real slow but it sure wont fit any of the "Stock" motor rules. Maybe they should start a BL stock class
ottoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 03:12 AM   #1423
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcdy
im using s9550 servo
What receiver are you running??
If it's a spektrum receiver try a cap, when ever a spektrum glitches it is usually due to a loss of power.

Old 09-03-2006, 09:08 AM   #1424
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottoman
ROAR legal for what class It would be legal for the mod class... just real slow but it sure wont fit any of the "Stock" motor rules. Maybe they should start a BL stock class
You do realize that when Brushless was first introduced it wasn't legal for Mod either?

Organizations do change and adapt to new technology.

paul
Old 09-03-2006, 03:51 PM   #1425
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Its too soon to make rules aboit stock BL. So far there is only one manufacturer making a motor. We don't know how they compare as they havent been out for long and we will not have enough experiece with them before the 2007 rules need to be written.

For 2007 we all need to test and experiment to see how the motors work out. Club races are considered Level 1 events and as such the race director (whoever runs the racing program) can make on the spot allowances to suit the needs of the local racers. This means he has the right to mix BL and BR motors or create new clases if thats what the racers want.

By late 2007 we will have a good experience base with motors and the racers will have decided if they want an independant BL class or mixed classes.

I would say that for 2008 we most likely will have rules for a Stock BL (like 27T) and a Spec Mod Class (like 19T). They will be their own classes and not mixed with BR motors.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote