R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-26-2006, 10:12 AM   #1381
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arun
I tried 10% (#2), 15% (#3), and 20% (#4) drag brake with the new rotor...15% seemed to feel the closest to a good brushed motor.
20% was too much, but the drag wasn't by any means so excessive that the car became difficult to drive.
Since I haven't run it yet all of my little tests were on my table but profile #4 with the standard arm was what we all were use to and if that's 20% I was cool with that. Once I put in the new arm and felt it on profile #4 it sort of felt like the percentage went up. I'm guessing but it felt like 25% so that's why I went with profile #2 (10%) because the new arms drag breaks feel stronger.......or I could be over thinking things

Thanks for your input and I will be sure to update everyone on how things went.
Old 08-26-2006, 09:27 PM   #1382
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Comparison

Both Novak and Reedy make an 8.5 brushless.

Novak 8.5 is rated at 5.8kv, 196watts.
Reedy 8.5 is rated at 6.1kv, 220watts.

Does anyone know if:
a) one motor is better than the other,
b) one is faster but less torquey, the other the other way around,
c) no difference, just marketing *&%$ that they just make up.
Old 08-26-2006, 09:36 PM   #1383
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default How is the gearing changed with new rotor

I find final of about 10.2 works with standard 4.5 with the new rotor how would you gear assuming 10.2 with standard rotor.
TRESFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 09:48 PM   #1384
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRESFR
I find final of about 10.2 works with standard 4.5 with the new rotor how would you gear assuming 10.2 with standard rotor.
Just keep the motor temps under 160 and you should be fine
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 11:35 PM   #1385
Tech Champion

Got a win tonight. I'll post what I ran when I have more time.
Old 08-27-2006, 11:49 AM   #1386
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceBucks
Both Novak and Reedy make an 8.5 brushless.

Novak 8.5 is rated at 5.8kv, 196watts.
Reedy 8.5 is rated at 6.1kv, 220watts.

Does anyone know if:
a) one motor is better than the other,
b) one is faster but less torquey, the other the other way around,
c) no difference, just marketing *&%$ that they just make up.
Hard to say, though I doubt it's a marketing thing. Keep in mind, those numbers are with the old endbell and old rotor. I'm pretty sure the updated endbell and rotor like those used on the Velociti motors would give Novak's motor a significant boost in the numbers. Then, if you put a sintered rotor in that thing... watch out.

The 8.5 (5800) is an old motor. With a few upgraded parts, though, it turns into a beast. That said, I've never heard anybody make a direct comparison between the Novak and Reedy 8.5. With the upgrade path that Novak has for its motors, I'd be inclined to think it's a better choice right now.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 05:58 PM   #1387
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

I ran the Novak 3.5bl on the weekend, all went well. The 3.5's power is supreme, good brakes, no thermals. I gave the motor quite a hard go and it
performed without issue.

I ran it at 19.03mm rollout, i could go lower this thing has insane legs.
Old 08-27-2006, 07:23 PM   #1388
Tech Champion

I ran the 4.5 with the new arm at my usual final drive ratio (11.1) Just as Charlie said...the torque was killer but lacking a little on the top end. So I geared up to 10.6. WOW It pulls down the whole straight and the breaks are just like my 7x1 check point. It was pretty hot yesterday so I put it to the test with some very hard breaking. No thermal in sight. If you run the 4.5 with the new arm the drag breaks with the regular default profile are way too strong. I turned them down from the regular 20% to 10% This helped make it feel like I had the regular arm in the can. Novak hit this one out of the park. I haven't cut a motor in over two months. Anyone wanna buy a lathe.....LOL
Old 08-27-2006, 07:25 PM   #1389
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLNLST
I ran the 4.5 with the new arm at my usual final drive ratio (11.1) Just as Charlie said...the torque was killer but lacking a little on the top end. So I geared up to 10.6. WOW It pulls down the whole straight and the breaks are just like my 7x1 check point. It was pretty hot yesterday so I put it to the test with some very hard breaking. No thermal in sight. If you run the 4.5 with the new arm the drag breaks with the regular default profile are way too strong. I turned them down from the regular 20% to 10% This helped make it feel like I had the regular arm in the can. Novak hit this one out of the park. I haven't cut a motor in over two months. Anyone wanna buy a lathe.....LOL
thats cool ,what was your temp on the motor after the run?
Old 08-27-2006, 07:29 PM   #1390
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos.J
thats cool ,what was your temp on the motor after the run?

I di't even temp the motor. It made it through all of my brake tests so I was more than happy. I'll be sure to temp it next weekend if I run.
Old 08-27-2006, 07:36 PM   #1391
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLNLST
I di't even temp the motor. It made it through all of my brake tests so I was more than happy. I'll be sure to temp it next weekend if I run.
cool , Im trying out the new arm on the 4.5 and Im going to try the 3.5 (dont think that Ill need it but ,Why not!)
Old 08-28-2006, 06:04 AM   #1392
Tech Apprentice

Got 3rd place yesterday. All 3 finals thermalled (4.5 velociti). 1 just after crossing the finish line, 2 others during the last minute - before the finish.

Ran almost the same gearing as those 2 vectors ( FDR ~1:8) just to keep with them on the straights (the track is really huge and i had a "soft finger" - could make the runtime with 3800's).

Anyone has suggestions? I even tried to cool down the motor with MM peltier cooler. Nothing helped.

P.S. I had almost NO brakes (of course, with that FDR this is possible, but those vectors were braking strong with 7.8-7.9FDR)

Used 1 & 4th programs, switched off drag brake, tried to reduce brake EPA made some more changes... Nothing helped!
Lokanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 06:23 AM   #1393
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokanas
Got 3rd place yesterday. All 3 finals thermalled (4.5 velociti). 1 just after crossing the finish line, 2 others during the last minute - before the finish.

Ran almost the same gearing as those 2 vectors ( FDR ~1:8) just to keep with them on the straights (the track is really huge and i had a "soft finger" - could make the runtime with 3800's).

Anyone has suggestions? I even tried to cool down the motor with MM peltier cooler. Nothing helped.

P.S. I had almost NO brakes (of course, with that FDR this is possible, but those vectors were braking strong with 7.8-7.9FDR)

Used 1 & 4th programs, switched off drag brake, tried to reduce brake EPA made some more changes... Nothing helped!
for the 4.5 you need to be between 9.75 and a 10.25 fdr, Im not sure how your radio is set but I have way too much brake, I have to turn it down on the radio to keep the wheels from locking up. I would try to set the esc back your radio.
Old 08-28-2006, 06:25 AM   #1394
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Marcos - I think he is on a big European track. They have to gear that high to keep up and since they never really slow down they can run it.

With the sintered magnet its almost not necessary to temp the motor anymore. The sintered mag is just fine at temps 100 deg F over where the older motors would thermal.

Lokanas - If you have thermaled your 4.5 a few times you will need a new rotor. When they overheat the magnet gets weak. You notice this mostly as weak brakes. The weaker magnets make the motor draw more amps, run hotter and thermal cut faster. A new rotor will get your speed, power and brakes back. If your club will let you run it get the new sintered rotor. This rotor is much stronger physically, magnetically and will not suffer from the issues you are having now.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 06:27 AM   #1395
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM
Marcos - I think he is on a big European track. They have to gear that high to keep up and since they never really slow down they can run it.

With the sintered magnet its almost not necessary to temp the motor anymore. The sintered mag is just fine at temps 100 deg F over where the older motors would thermal.

wow really! time to gear up