R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-26-2006, 08:15 PM   #1291
Tech Regular

I remember last time, the Trinity's top man bashed brushless motor and immediately I thought Trinity would be the Dodo of the 21st century.

Nowadays, with the convenience of Spektrum, Brushless motor and Lipo battery, I dont think I will ever use FM radio, brushed motor and NiMh. Trinity can choose to continue with the brushed motor while others have stepped up their R&D in brushless. What a dodo...
azmio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 08:45 PM   #1292
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Well he must have figured something out since they are making a brushless motor... I'm sure Novak didn't think they'd ever make a motor either, now they make the best one available.
HVAC25000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 07:32 AM   #1293
Tech Master

There may be a possibility that our local track will be combining the 19t and 5800 together in touring. Do anyone have an idea how to gear the 5800 for touring on asphault?
rcgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 07:35 AM   #1294
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcgen
There may be a possibility that our local track will be combining the 19t and 5800 together in touring. Do anyone have an idea how to gear the 5800 for touring on asphault?
7.30 FDR
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 10:23 AM   #1295
Tech Master

The touring racers voted to allow the 5800bl to run with the 19t at our local track. Its very comparable in speed but I was still a second off from the faster guys. I ran a 7.43 for the heats and main. I didn't mess with gearing since I wanted to see how this motor worked plus we run oval and touring on the same night. Most of my time was working on my oval brush car. You know the deal: taking the motor out, cutting the com, resetting the brushing. man that's to much work LOL. This was my second time running the car with a brushless motor in about month but the first time with the 5800. I had to readjust my driving style and get use to the brushless motor. Our track is fairly wide open except for two areas where a little brake or letting off the throttle for the motor drag is needed with a brush motor. Guess what I didn't have that with the brushless motor
rcgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 12:25 PM   #1296
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Did more testing with the brushless system this weekend and it was awesome. Charlie suggested a couple of things and they worked great. ran the 4.5 brushless with a drive ratio of 10.8 and my throtle expo at -25%(too damn punchy) The brakes were good throughout all my runs. The brakes aren't as strong as my brushed motors but they are there. The new arm should cure that problem as well as the thermal shut downs. I only got it to thermal once this weekend but that was because of heating up the brake fets in traffic trying to push the issue. If I didn't run up the back end of someone and hit the brakes a couple a time per lap if would have been fine....but that's what practice is for right??? This thing still had mad rip out of the corners even with the throtle turned down so much.

I have yet to try running my GTB with a brushed motor. One day that may happen.
Old 08-08-2006, 06:36 AM   #1297
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to rampal

Hi:
i just get my GTB and, unlikely the ss+, on basic setup (just after the one touch setup for the radio) I get the blue and amber light on, together with red. When I full throttle it also turns on the green and when I brake green blinks (I don't have the stuff with me right now, so I'm not 100% sure of the blinking colour, but it is likely the green). The systems seems to perform OK besides this colour rainbow ... I was expectingo to get only red (and green on full throttle or full brakes), so I wondering if this blue+amber is due the default drag brake of profile 1.

thanks a lot,
al
rampal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 06:39 AM   #1298
Tech Regular

Hi Al,

I had the same problem, if you turn the drag brake off I think you'll find it will go back to normal.

I emailed Charlie at Novak when I thought it was a problem and he told me it was perfectly ok.

So, basically I think it is the drag brake setting.

Cheers,

Dan
Dan415ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 06:45 AM   #1299
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to rampal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan415ms
Hi Al,

I had the same problem, if you turn the drag brake off I think you'll find it will go back to normal.

I emailed Charlie at Novak when I thought it was a problem and he told me it was perfectly ok.

So, basically I think it is the drag brake setting.

Cheers,

Dan

Thanks a lot Dan, really. It is good to know that i can get rid of the rainbow.... just wonder if i was doing something wrong. Will test it properly on the track and then start making adjustments... who knows, I may end up with a goldpot!!

cheers,
al
rampal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 07:16 AM   #1300
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I recently bought a 4.5r, and ran it both in practice and in a race meet. It seems fast but there are guys running nosram 5.5s and their cars are faster than mine both out of corners and down the straight. Also, the motor and speedy only get luke warm, geared at anywhere between 10.5 and 8.5, so could there be a problem with my brushless system? I'm running on a medium sized track on foams, and IB4200 cells.
beer_drinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 09:50 AM   #1301
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer_drinker
I recently bought a 4.5r, and ran it both in practice and in a race meet. It seems fast but there are guys running nosram 5.5s and their cars are faster than mine both out of corners and down the straight. Also, the motor and speedy only get luke warm, geared at anywhere between 10.5 and 8.5, so could there be a problem with my brushless system? I'm running on a medium sized track on foams, and IB4200 cells.
what profile are you using? how much drag brake?
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 11:34 AM   #1302
Tech Champion

Profile 1 which is the default profile (I believe) is what I have been using and it's pretty up to par with everything else on the track. No one out this way uses the LRP brushless so it's all 4.5's and 7x1 at the club races. No one has ponied past me on the straight. Gearing is key though. Some people are over geared and their car never gets up to full speed or they thermal. I had mine geared at 11.1 last weekend and the car was a bullet. I plan on trying that same gearing again next weekend at speedworld where I was more than happy with a 10.8 gearing. I'm also running my throtle expo at -25% due to the frickin' punch this thing has.
Old 08-08-2006, 04:45 PM   #1303
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLNLST
Profile 1 which is the default profile (I believe) is what I have been using and it's pretty up to par with everything else on the track. No one out this way uses the LRP brushless so it's all 4.5's and 7x1 at the club races. No one has ponied past me on the straight. Gearing is key though. Some people are over geared and their car never gets up to full speed or they thermal. I had mine geared at 11.1 last weekend and the car was a bullet. I plan on trying that same gearing again next weekend at speedworld where I was more than happy with a 10.8 gearing. I'm also running my throtle expo at -25% due to the frickin' punch this thing has.
Watch out Sucka....the BOSS said I could have one if I wanted it. Just wait......

IT'S ON SUCKA!!!!!!!!

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."
Advil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 05:33 PM   #1304
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advil
Watch out Sucka....the BOSS said I could have one if I wanted it. Just wait......

IT'S ON SUCKA!!!!!!!!
Just remember who you will have to come to for set up info I do have a 3.5 too
Old 08-08-2006, 11:38 PM   #1305
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Looks like the sintered rotors are starting to show up in the shops. Sounds like there's no reason not to use these if your club isn't too strict about the ROAR rules. They're apparently faster, and significantly more resistant to heat. I wonder if it's time to cut the blue wire...
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote