Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
New Novak Brusless System >

New Novak Brusless System

New Novak Brusless System

Old 07-03-2006, 04:09 PM
  #1216  
Super Moderator
iTrader: (213)
 
Marcos.J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Semper Fi
Posts: 31,078
Trader Rating: 213 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by STLNLST
Thanks for the pics. If you were going to run a brushed motor would you have enough room or do you need to mount the speedo forward a little more???
I never ran a brushed motor in that car but I had enough room to move the novak motor around
Marcos.J is offline  
Old 07-03-2006, 05:51 PM
  #1217  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (29)
 
STLNLST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 9,461
Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Marcos.J
I never ran a brushed motor in that car but I had enough room to move the novak motor around
The reason why I ask is that the brushless will be run at around 10-10.5 from what I'm told and everything else I run requires a bigger pinion. I guess I better leave myself some room.
STLNLST is offline  
Old 07-03-2006, 08:32 PM
  #1218  
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Canton, MI
Posts: 500
Default

Slam, what they're talking about with the 70/30% is the balance of the overall trigger movement. That has nothing to do with the end point adjustment. I think all of your higher end radios are set to 70:30 by default. So if you haven't changed your throttle/brake balance, don't worry about it.

Tony
RcCzarOfOld is offline  
Old 07-04-2006, 01:12 AM
  #1219  
Tech Master
iTrader: (19)
 
HVAC25000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,078
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

So I think I have a little problem. I sent Charlie an email, but this being a holiday, I don't think I will get a response very soon.

I've got a 6.5 and a 5.5, both used, but neither has been ran by me. I don't even know if either works, but my esc doesn't do anything above 6.5, and I'm afraid to try the 6.5 due to the following problem.

The 5.5 spins very freely, like I would expect from it. In my experience, brushless motors spin more freely than brushed motors.

The 6.5 spins like it doesn't even have bearings. It feels kind of like my 12x2, but even harder to turn, like it has grease in it or something.

I've taken them both apart, the bearings are all great, spin very freely and smoothly. I've tried switching the armatures, the 6.5 still spins poorly. To me, they both appear identical inside, but I guess something must be rubbing.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be wrong?

Anyone know where I could find a schematic of these motors so I can make sure they are aseembled properly?

Thanks!
HVAC25000 is offline  
Old 07-04-2006, 06:26 AM
  #1220  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (2)
 
rcdy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Agusan del Norte
Posts: 547
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

i guess theres something wrong with it. try blowing air into the can and check if theres some shims left behind. mine works fine rotates freely. btw how did you check the bearing on the bottom of the can? did you remove the armature? i only clean the outer bearing that is exposed.
rcdy is offline  
Old 07-04-2006, 06:42 AM
  #1221  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (13)
 
protc3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Spring Hill,Florida
Posts: 10,867
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by HVAC25000
So I think I have a little problem. I sent Charlie an email, but this being a holiday, I don't think I will get a response very soon.

I've got a 6.5 and a 5.5, both used, but neither has been ran by me. I don't even know if either works, but my esc doesn't do anything above 6.5, and I'm afraid to try the 6.5 due to the following problem.

The 5.5 spins very freely, like I would expect from it. In my experience, brushless motors spin more freely than brushed motors.

The 6.5 spins like it doesn't even have bearings. It feels kind of like my 12x2, but even harder to turn, like it has grease in it or something.

I've taken them both apart, the bearings are all great, spin very freely and smoothly. I've tried switching the armatures, the 6.5 still spins poorly. To me, they both appear identical inside, but I guess something must be rubbing.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be wrong?

Anyone know where I could find a schematic of these motors so I can make sure they are aseembled properly?

Thanks!
is this a used motor that you bought?it sounds like the motor melted down and the winds are loose and rubbing the rotor.i have seen this happen in a 5800 that was geared like a reedy quad mag.not a good idea.
protc3 is offline  
Old 07-04-2006, 09:11 AM
  #1222  
Tech Fanatic
 
SlamMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 847
Default

Originally Posted by RcCzarOfOld
Slam, what they're talking about with the 70/30% is the balance of the overall trigger movement. That has nothing to do with the end point adjustment. I think all of your higher end radios are set to 70:30 by default. So if you haven't changed your throttle/brake balance, don't worry about it.

Tony
Thanks, Tony.
SlamMan is offline  
Old 07-04-2006, 03:02 PM
  #1223  
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Canton, MI
Posts: 500
Default

HVAC, try loosening the endbell screws a little bit at a time and see if that helps. They may be too tight causing the endbell to deform. That'll make it bind every time. Other than that, send it to Charlie...

Slam, no problem. Glad I could help.

Tony
RcCzarOfOld is offline  
Old 07-04-2006, 03:06 PM
  #1224  
Tech Master
iTrader: (19)
 
HVAC25000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,078
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Just so you guys know, I answered all 3 questions asked of me in my first post... But I will again.

Yeah, I checked the rear bearings as well. Yes, I removed the armature. Yes, it's the used motor that I bought.

To my eye, it doesn't look like there is anything different inside the 2 motors. If something is rubbing, which it must be, I certainly can't find it.
HVAC25000 is offline  
Old 07-04-2006, 03:57 PM
  #1225  
AI2
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 13
Default

HVAC25000

sounds definitely like a shorted winding in the motor... this will make the motor feel as if its braking much like when you apply the brake on your radio. The rotor just doesn't spin freely, like you said. Also the faster you try to spin it the more it seems to resist spinning. not much you can do about it but send in for service.
AI2 is offline  
Old 07-04-2006, 04:21 PM
  #1226  
Tech Master
iTrader: (19)
 
HVAC25000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,078
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Excellent. Screwed, as usual.


Anyone in San Diego have a used 6.5, that actually works, that they would like to sell me?

Last edited by HVAC25000; 07-04-2006 at 04:41 PM.
HVAC25000 is offline  
Old 07-05-2006, 09:38 PM
  #1227  
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 19
Default

Found this on Tower's site.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXNJA2&P=7

Novak's site lists nothing. Anyone have any word on this? That would be awesome if they do perform just like brushed stocks, and ROAR approves these.

Although the price is a little bit steep, hopefully once they're out prices drop quite a bit to the $60-$70 range of the current BL motors.
emjay is offline  
Old 07-05-2006, 09:42 PM
  #1228  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (32)
 
syndr0me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 5280 Raceway
Posts: 13,267
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Oooh, good find. And this as well:

Novak Crawler Brushless Motor 18.5

Last edited by syndr0me; 07-06-2006 at 01:26 AM.
syndr0me is offline  
Old 07-05-2006, 09:44 PM
  #1229  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (32)
 
syndr0me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 5280 Raceway
Posts: 13,267
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Looks like Tower could be a new source of information on products if they keep exposing information like this. Here's the latest info:

Novak Brushless
3.5R (3.5 turns) [rumored, not yet available]
4.5R (4.5 turns)
5.5R (5.5 turns)
6.5R (6.5 turns)
7.5R (7.5 turns)
5800 (8.5 turns)
4300 (10.5 turns)
SS13.5 (13.5 turns) [rumored, not yet available]
Crawler 18.5 (18.5 turns) [rumored, not yet available]
syndr0me is offline  
Old 07-05-2006, 09:51 PM
  #1230  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (32)
 
syndr0me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 5280 Raceway
Posts: 13,267
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Here's some info from Novak's site:

Crawler 18.5 (w/Crawler ESC)

This price list mentions the 13.5, but the link goes to the page for the 4300. I wonder if the 4300 is being replaced?

Actually, here's the info page for the 13.5.

Now, before anybody gets their panties twisted, all this info was found by simply searching for a few keywords on Google.
syndr0me is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.