R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-02-2006, 09:53 AM   #1201
Tech Legend

Stealth ...
Still racing on my orginal Sphere...

But I`m on my second Neo ...

The first one ? after 900 run`s , I had to replace it ..
Still racing on my second Neo , its has over 4 month`s worth of racing on it and still going strong...

No fan`s needed yet...
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 08:41 AM   #1202
Tech Fanatic

I've been having some trouble setting up my GTB with my stock brushed motor. After completing the one touch setup step the car goes haywire. It goes into a constant forward motion and both throttle and brake input cause acceleration.

If I perform the change motor type step and skip the one touch setup It seems to work fine. Is the one touch setup for brushless motors only?
SlamMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 08:58 AM   #1203
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to RcCzarOfOld Send a message via MSN to RcCzarOfOld Send a message via Yahoo to RcCzarOfOld

Slam, when you do the one touch setup, the speedo automatically goes to profile 1 which is brushless mode. Do the one touch setup first with no motor attatched. Then change it to brushed mode and you should be fine. Also, make sure your throttle endpoints are set to 100 and your exponential (curve on a Helios) is set at 0 when you do the one touch. But, if you did the one touch setup with a brushed motor attatched, you probably fried the speedo.

Tony
RcCzarOfOld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 09:16 AM   #1204
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Jan Larsen

Can anyone tell me which of the sensor wires is the temp thermal sensor wire (GTB 4,5 system)? Cause i'm getting increasingly annoyed at it...thermaling at a stupid 75 celcius (around 160 fahrenheit). Although it was a 92 degree fahrenheit day, the thing kept thermaling at a 9,7 gearing and with 4 fans connected. Some people were running 9,0 and had no problems. The thing is stupid fast, can hang on with the best factory brush guys we have in my country.

I know this will void warranty yadda yadda, but I'd rather buy a new motor once in a while than loosing A-main heats due to a stupid thermal.
Jan Larsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 09:34 AM   #1205
Tech Fanatic

Thanks, Tony. I'll try that.

You suggest setting enpoints to 100 and that makes sense to me.

The GTB instructions quoted below suggest the following.

Quote:
Set ELECTRONIC TRIGGER THROW ADJUSTMENT to 70% throttle and
30% brake throw (or 7:3) for Forward & Brake only Profiles,
Is that the same thing you were refering to? Do you know why they suggest that and what the advantage would be doing it one way over the other?
SlamMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 10:03 AM   #1206
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Larsen
Can anyone tell me which of the sensor wires is the temp thermal sensor wire (GTB 4,5 system)? Cause i'm getting increasingly annoyed at it...thermaling at a stupid 75 celcius (around 160 fahrenheit). Although it was a 92 degree fahrenheit day, the thing kept thermaling at a 9,7 gearing and with 4 fans connected. Some people were running 9,0 and had no problems. The thing is stupid fast, can hang on with the best factory brush guys we have in my country.

I know this will void warranty yadda yadda, but I'd rather buy a new motor once in a while than loosing A-main heats due to a stupid thermal.
How big is the track?
According to [email protected] the 4.5 motor likes a lot of rpm so maybe you can try to gear something like 10.5. I used to gear around 8.6 but have noticed that when I gear around 10 that my laptimes are only 1 tenth slower, this on a big track. Plus that the motor is much cooler...
Old 07-03-2006, 10:06 AM   #1207
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

Quote:

its the blue wire
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 10:23 AM   #1208
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Jan Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmenkollen
How big is the track?
According to [email protected] the 4.5 motor likes a lot of rpm so maybe you can try to gear something like 10.5. I used to gear around 8.6 but have noticed that when I gear around 10 that my laptimes are only 1 tenth slower, this on a big track. Plus that the motor is much cooler...
Track is quite narrow, but fairly long and with a good size straight. 9,3/4 would be the optimum gearing, but then it thermals after about 2 mins.

Can't go lower than 10.1, car simply do not allow smaller pinions (10.1 = 16T) (unless I dremel the motor mounting holes).

Gonna confirm it's the blue wire (thx Marcos) with [email protected], then cut it. Will mount a big fan I have lying on my table together with the two coolcanfans I'm using now to the motor to keep it as cool as possible, but at least it wont thermal. That'll total the fan count to 5; 1 big and two smaller ones for the motor and two smaller ones for the speedo. Sounds like a hurricane when booting it up, but who cares
Jan Larsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 11:17 AM   #1209
Super Moderator

Quote:
Track is quite narrow, but fairly long and with a good size straight. 9,3/4 would be the optimum gearing, but then it thermals after about 2 mins.

Can't go lower than 10.1, car simply do not allow smaller pinions (10.1 = 16T) (unless I dremel the motor mounting holes).

Gonna confirm it's the blue wire (thx Marcos) with [email protected], then cut it. Will mount a big fan I have lying on my table together with the two coolcanfans I'm using now to the motor to keep it as cool as possible, but at least it wont thermal. That'll total the fan count to 5; 1 big and two smaller ones for the motor and two smaller ones for the speedo. Sounds like a hurricane when booting it up, but who cares
if you are running the MI2 EC you can run a 120 spur ,its very close to bottom out but I ran mine like that in asphalt for 5 months with no problems i ran a 120/20 for a 10.8 fdr and no thermal issues, you might want to plug the fan directly into the battery pack and will push out more air,
Old 07-03-2006, 11:18 AM   #1210
Super Moderator

Quote:

you dont have to cut the wire just unplug it from the module
Old 07-03-2006, 11:21 AM   #1211
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I still have to mount mine in the car for this weekends race. I still need to have a pic of the thing mounted in a MI2EC if anyone cares to post it. Weylin....way to fail....LOL
Old 07-03-2006, 11:37 AM   #1212
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLNLST
I still have to mount mine in the car for this weekends race. I still need to have a pic of the thing mounted in a MI2EC if anyone cares to post it. Weylin....way to fail....LOL
here is my old EC with the 4.5, (the receiver is on its side along the center belt)

Old 07-03-2006, 12:56 PM   #1213
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos.J
here is my old EC with the 4.5, (the receiver is on its side along the center belt)

Thanks for the pic. Would you happen to have one from the other side??? Just want to see how much room I'll be working with.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:17 PM   #1214
Super Moderator

here are 2 that i found that i took with my camera phone, I dont have the car anymore but hopefully these will help you

Old 07-03-2006, 02:45 PM   #1215
Tech Champion

Thanks for the pics. If you were going to run a brushed motor would you have enough room or do you need to mount the speedo forward a little more???