R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-14-2006, 07:58 PM   #1156
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evicerator
Kidrobot:

What is happening is that everytime you do a one touch setup on the ESC, it returns the ESC to profile 1 (the default profile)

So, do this:

Do a one touch setup just to make sure that your radio settings are all fine.

Full end points, no exponential, etc.

Then, once you finish with the one touch setup, THEN change the profile to profile #2 or #5.

thanks man i got it to work now...
kidrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 05:58 AM   #1157
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by axle182
Did you try adding a Cap to the receiver? Ive had to add a cap everytime ive used my GTB and 5.5r. Isnt a huge issue (unless i run out of places to put the cap!) Maybe Novak should add an additional cap to the reciever circuitry?? Ive used my system on 27mhz am, 27mhz fm and 40mhz fm and had to use a cap each time. thats in both a touring car 6 cell and a pan car 6 cell.
hi axle

would the cap your refering to be similar to this ?
http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/produc...de6bc2112d1d09

or

also which section in the reciever do you plug the cap into? 3rd channel or battery?
Old 06-15-2006, 06:02 AM   #1158
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainTeased
hi axle

would the cap your refering to be similar to this ?

or

also which section in the reciever do you plug the cap into? 3rd channel or battery?
for the receiver you should use something like this

Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 06:53 AM   #1159
Tech Addict

marcos.. do you know the specs on the spektrum cap?

Voltage and uF?
AngryAsian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 07:53 AM   #1160
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to RcCzarOfOld Send a message via MSN to RcCzarOfOld Send a message via Yahoo to RcCzarOfOld

I THINK the Spektrum cap is 4700uF and 10v, but I'm not positive.
RcCzarOfOld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 08:09 AM   #1161
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I have about 4 GTB systems and none of them require the SPEKTRUM Cap when using them in with my SPEKTRUM set-up...

Now using my SPEKTRUM with my one Sphere and NEO-ONE combo is another story all together...
STEALTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 08:10 AM   #1162
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini-dub
It's good to see some people who are willing to spend some time mounting their electronics instead of just putting the receiver up on the servo (or topdeck ). Nice mounting jobs guys. I'm going to put up some pictures hopefully tomorrow or thursday so you can see how i wired the brushed motor into the GTB.

This wasnt easy and I hope the cap doesnt dislodge and get in the belt, but here goes!!!

Good tip about the battery bar to run in brushed mode.
Attached Thumbnails
New Novak Brusless System-xrcgtbsm.jpg   New Novak Brusless System-xrcgtb3sm.jpg  
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 04:43 PM   #1163
Tech Addict

WOw that's one HUGE spur...

Crazy low ratio's you have to run with the 4.5...

The reason why i'm asking about the spektrum cap is yes, i'm having shutdown issues running 1st gen spektrum and the 4.5.
I've got a 4400uF 16V cap at the moment.. hope it "cures" it...
Old 06-15-2006, 05:02 PM   #1164
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

The problems your having is probably because of the 1st gen Spektrum, I think everyone of those things had issues with shutting down... . I would recommend getting it upgraded to the new software or whatever they do to update those things first.

Riding Bikes | Skiing | Helis | Rotor Rage | Cyclone Blades | RC Trim | Dead Kat Raceway
mini-dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 05:04 PM   #1165
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to RcCzarOfOld Send a message via MSN to RcCzarOfOld Send a message via Yahoo to RcCzarOfOld

If the cap doesn't fix it, open the case of your RX and check to be sure of the antenna routing. On the first generation, the antenna routes below the top board. Those are the ones that had the shutdown issues, especially on carpet. If you're confident in your soldering abilities and you have an iron with a small enough tip, move the antenna to the top of the board and that should take care of it. The 2 boards are connected via a plug and you can carefully pull them apart to better access the PCB solder joint. That's basically all the "update" consists of. I've done it myself on several of the RX's and that completely cured the problem.

Tony
RcCzarOfOld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 05:26 PM   #1166
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default 4.5 Brushless / Cogging / Glitching

Using 4.5 brushless in stadium truck and a Futaba 2PH AM radio 75Mhz channel 70 and also 71, I get sputtering at high power because the receiver is too close to the motor. It helps a lot to twist the power and ESC wires around each other (+ and -) to avoid generating RF noise. Sputtering is proportional to power, really bad when I get on the throttle. I have also tried my 27Mhz AM radio and it's just as bad.

On my touring car, receiver at front of car and ESC near back works OK. Especially when I route the antenna up through the tube 1" off the chassis. Both vehicles have carbon fiber chassis.

Novak tech support said "your AM radio is the problem, and it would have to be set up perfectly to work with brushless". Well I did get it to work, but . . . I glitching with the AM no matter whether motors are brushless or not. So if you can separate your electronics enough and keep antenna off the chassis and do all the right stuff mounting (nothing conductive near the carbon fiber) and keep the battery power and motor and ESC wires wrapped around each other you have a good shot to make it work - if there's room for all that on your chassis. I had to mount my receiver on top of the top deck to make it all work.

I finally ordered a Spektrum DX2 and I hope that fixes things.
swopemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 06:21 PM   #1167
Tech Addict

Ta guys...

I had that in mind when i modded my M8 to fit the module and antenna in. Seeing as i was opening up the TX module, i had a play with the Rx module too.

Fingers crossed.... But i might upgrade to the mini Rx soon anyway. So small!!
Old 06-24-2006, 12:36 AM   #1168
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

So I picked up a GTB / 6.5 combo this afternoon at my LHS. Just tinkering around with it a little and I'm wondering if the white, 6-wire motor sensor plug can be unplugged from the base of the ESC. I've got the radio, on/off, and fan plugs off easy enough, as those are just like the GTX plugs, but the sensor plug is much more difficult. I don't want to start really tugging on the white plug if it isn't supposed to be removed!

thanks for the help!
cartmen34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 12:44 AM   #1169
Tech Fanatic

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Yes, you can un-plug the sensor wires...you have to give them a good tug.
Old 06-24-2006, 01:06 AM   #1170
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus Racing
Yes, you can un-plug the sensor wires...you have to give them a good tug.
yes. About 4 minutes after I posted the question I realized that you must be able to unplug it, otherwise you'd never be able to change out the motor!!

Geez, such a simple question, you'd think I'd never worked on an R/C car before!

Thanks Nexus!
cartmen34 is offline   Reply With Quote