R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-02-2006, 02:24 AM   #976
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I hear brushed motors have the same kind of issues in hot climates too?
TITC races - lots of reports of motor leads unsoldering.. some horrible looking photos of leads being tied in various ways to brush hoods...

You guys must do a raging trade in MM motor coolers!!
AngryAsian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 02:47 AM   #977
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Michael_T

Can some link the MM fans there referring to and maybe a photo of it hooked up to a brushless system thanks

BlueRC | www.bluerc.net
Michael_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 05:36 AM   #978
Tech Regular

my friend's V2 motor desoldered itself when pushed hard on large track. I simply told him to use tin with higher melting point, so he did. No more problem even during 54 degree C track temperature.
azmio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 11:13 AM   #979
Tech Fanatic

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novarossi
Can some link the MM fans there referring to and maybe a photo of it hooked up to a brushless system thanks
You can find the specs and pic on our site here: http://nexusracing.net/product_info....products_id=76

It looks the same, but has a MMR sticker on the front instead. I'll try to get a pic of it installed on my Novak system soon.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:25 AM   #980
Tech Fanatic

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Here it is in my Xray T2. I changed the plug on it a while ago but had to change it back to install on the GTB .
Attached Thumbnails
New Novak Brusless System-img_0571-small-.jpg  
Old 05-02-2006, 11:43 AM   #981
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by azmio
i think most pro drivers will give it more time for Novak and LRP to further improve the thermal and reliability problems that the ESCs have.

Try running the 4.5 in desert or tropical climates at noon time, the system tends to thermal shutdown while you're busy racing. It made many curse the system and tends to go back to brushed motors.
I do agree that even with 4.5R, there is still difficulty to against 6T motor. Against 8T seems no problem in my experience. However, I don't think that's the problem why we didn't see many pro racer doing brushless, the main reason is most likly one single word:

SPONSORSHIP

Afterall, it's all business....
ttso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 02:15 PM   #982
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to TL_XXX-S_racer

Heres a picture of RDX with the 4.5 system in it. Yes i know its really tight, I even had to cut off the servo tab that you screw the servo mount into. :P
Add any opinions to help making the electronics setup better.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
New Novak Brusless System-rdx-4.5-brushless.jpg   New Novak Brusless System-overview-rdx2.jpg  

Team Corally

Superior Hobbies
"Supplying all your r/c racing needs"
TL_XXX-S_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 03:13 PM   #983
Tech Regular

I raced my 4.5r on Sunday for the first time.

It was very quick in a straight line BUT I could not compete with the severity of the braking of the brushed motors........at the end of the straight they could waaaay outbrake me....I was having to brake a good 10 metres before them on order to slow down from full revs to an acceptable speed to go round the hairpin........
Dan415ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 03:19 PM   #984
Tech Regular

was that because your top speed was so much higher than the brushed mods or your braking was too weak?
viet_mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 03:25 PM   #985
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to TL_XXX-S_racer

adjust the amount of braking power. edit your profile in Max braking %. And add some more Max drag brake %. this will help too when you let off throttle.

Team Corally

Superior Hobbies
"Supplying all your r/c racing needs"
TL_XXX-S_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 08:07 PM   #986
Tech Apprentice

I recently purchased a GTB and 5.5. After mounting it, I went thought the setup procedure. Set throttle, set brake, pulled the trigger. The motor jerked twice, then the GTB smoked. Sent it back to Novak. They replaced the GTB. Said a mosfet failed. I can live with that. Got the new one back and remounted it, but this time I used a new 4300 to run in a local class. It went through setup without any problems. I ran it for probably less than 2mins. It ran great. Was quick and smooth on throttle, but sounded like the belt was loose on launch. I stopped and checked, belt was fine. Ran it again, still noisy on start. Checked gear mesh. Looked good. Ran it again. Now it runs intermittently from dead stop. Swapped the Spectrum for a Novak. No change. It seems ok as long as I dont let it stop in neutral. It comes off of brake ok, but not off neutal. I don't feel this is normal, but I hate to think I've gotten 2 bad units. I'll try the 5.5 tomorrow. Any opinions?
Thanks
tmurf03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 09:29 AM   #987
Tech Apprentice

Well I tried the 5.5. Still the same trouble. I have to turn the motor to get it rolling from dead stop. I'm waiting for a call back from Novak tech. Also looking at my receipt that came with my replacement, I see they replaced my brand new GTB with a refurbished unit. I'm assuming RMF GTB means re-manufactured. If true, not cool. And the noise was unrelated. A pin in the cvd had work itself loose. Looks like at least another 3 weeks b4 I race brushless. Oh well.
Old 05-04-2006, 09:46 AM   #988
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to rampal

hi Tmurf:
That happened to the first unit I get, cannot start from a dead stop. I sent it to novak, i get back another unit (RMF as well), small comment on the warranty form, fet problem. I spoke with Charlie before send it in, and he told me the problem could come either from the FETs or from the motor's sensor, and send both the esc and the motor.
rampal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 10:09 AM   #989
Tech Apprentice

Thanks,
I just spoke to Charlie. Nice guy. Its the esc.

Stuff happens, no prob.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:48 AM   #990
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Dang, I hate to here that.

Put the 19t back in , and come out this weekend.