R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-09-2006, 01:50 PM   #856
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

hey guys,

i ran my 4.5 set up today and my god was this thing fast.i ran my gearing at a 10.125 and my motor was at 135 degrees and the speedo was at 120 deg.
the only thing i felt it was lacking was brakes but i need to adjust it some.overall i was very happy with it.i need to get used to the feel of it but im sure that wont be a problem.it felt every bit if not faster than my checkpoint 7x1. it was alot of fun.
J Concepts
protc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 02:07 PM   #857
Tech Rookie

Default Novak GTB

The new Novak GTB systems are amazing. They are fast, efficient and are extremely user friendly. I've used the GTB systems in the B4, T4 and most of the 4WD buggies out there and they are just unreal.

Have no fear in getting this system, the Novak CS will stand by you all the way.

Just as fast as they are, please make sure to properly gear them and have a good amount of air flow through them. Other than that, stand back and hang on to your transmitters.
GENO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 02:17 PM   #858
Tech Regular

Lightbulb

For those that are running the GTB and brushless in 1:10 sedan, are you guys having a hard time balancing the chassis?

I need to put 35g of lead on the battery side to balance the chassis, but if I put the 35g, my total weight would come to 1600g with the body on which is way too heavy.

If I don't put the 35g on the battery side, would it affect the handling of the car?
lookinco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 06:46 PM   #859
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Probably not as I have tha same problem and didn't bother adding the weight and I can't notice much of a difference. My car weighs about 1560 with everything.

Sunshine Coast QLD AUSTRALIA

"If you stand still long enough you'll go backwards"
Drewdc90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 06:50 PM   #860
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safer SX
After some feedback on the Novak 4.5 if you need to run by their guidelines in the book the max rollout by their guide is 20.3 which will give you a final drive of 9.75. I was lead to beleive these Novak motor were fast by if you use that rollout you end up being the slowest car on the track but if you go to an 8.7 final drive you get to keep up with the other Novak drivers with that rollout but the problem I'm having is they can run a 5 min heat I get to 2 sometimes 3 min and it thermals this is the second Novak unit I have tried and it has thermaled in both units is there a way to solve this problem or do I keep sending them back under warranty
Try adding a fan to your motor if the motor is thermaling. I did that to mine and my doesn't thermal even on a 60 degree C track (140 F).

Old 04-10-2006, 02:27 AM   #861
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

There should be no reason to put a fan on the motor if Novak had done their homework from the last brushless system this wouldn’t be an issue would it. I’ve looked at everybody else that are running this particular system and their rollout is outside the guidelines and surprise surprise I'm thermalling and there not. Stick with the guidelines on the rollout chart and you get wasted what do we do?
Safer SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 03:21 AM   #862
Tech Fanatic

I use a fan because I race at a very hot track (60 degree track temp is the average). Novak designed the system to run in it's guidelines so running a lower ratio than what is recomended will cause the motor to thermal. Check the drive train and bearings, if thats alright you can either 'get wasted' or run a fan. You will have to run a fan if your going to push the limit of the motor like that. The other guys are probably running fans or motor coolers anyway.

Old 04-10-2006, 03:25 AM   #863
Tech Fanatic

Old 04-10-2006, 04:38 AM   #864
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Not meaning to make light of your situation, but i've only ever had great experiences from my Novak BL systems. That includes the ORIGINAL ss5800... it never thermalled on me and i was running quite a bit below recommended gearing.

My GTB with 5.5R HAS thermalled on me on very hot days, when the esc fan had turned off(jammed by track debris). With the debris cleared the only other reason for a thermal was from the motor. Again, running overgeared and on a 38degree day (Celcius..)

All other times, it has been great.

How is the system set up in your car? what kind of track are you on?

I run mine with a fan on both esc AND motor. It is afterall a reasonably low turn system. With the current draw and enthusiastic use that is typical of high speed rc, it's only reasonable to expect the motor AND the esc to heat up in use...

Have you talked to Charlie from Novak CS?.. they are exceptionally helpful.
AngryAsian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 06:01 AM   #865
Tech Regular

hi what temps dows it become thermal? also what is "thermal" does it just shut down, just wait to cool and it will run fine again. or is it a blown motor/esc?
noobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 07:04 AM   #866
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thermal means it basically overheats. Mine only shuts off briefly, but it's really frustrating when it happens during a race. I ended up using an additional fan over the ESC. Basically I've got the Novak aftermarket fan(alot bigger than the one that came on it) over top of the original, and now it does not thermal. I too race in hot conditions, but I don't have to push the gearing to hang with the faster guys at my track. I'm actually faster than several of the low turn mod brushed motors... One of my racing buddies has an assortment of low turn mods, because he races in several classes. None of his motors hung with my car last night. He's gonna re-tune them, and try me again Wednesday night. He's also gonna experiment with gearing...all this, to keep up with my 5.5

Our track is pretty good sized, and it's asphalt. During the day the surface temp excedes 140F, pretty darn hot. My fan also got jammed, but by the wires for the battery leads. I had recently switch to a new body that's lower in profile, so when it's on there it pushes the wires lower than the old body, and that's how they ended up in the fan. Now that I have the wires re-routed, and the additional fan, it's PERFECT!
R40Victim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 08:46 AM   #867
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I am running a GTB speed control with a Velocity 6.5 motor in a Losi XXX-BK2 buggy (I know this is the on-road section, but since this is a brushless question, I decided to post here). Over the last two weekends, unexpectedly in the middle of a run the buggy will lose power and run at 1/4 speed.

This has happened with several different batteries, so it isn't the battery. My understanding is if it were in thermal shutdown, the car would just quit -- not run at all.

Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks
Takt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 11:25 AM   #868
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Oddly enough, mine does something similar, but not on the track so far. Right before I set my car down to race, I usually hit the throttle a few times, wiggle the steering, just to make sure I'm not putting a dead car on the track. Sometimes, on the 2nd or 3rd pull on the throttle, it won't rev up nearly as high as the 1st time. I don't know if it has some kind of RPM based limit, but that's all I can think of.(with no drag on the drivetrain the motor could spool up and make very high RPMs). As soon as I set it down on the track, it does fine, no problems. You may have under-geared it, and it's reaching that limit, wich would be easy to do in off-road applications. It may also be getting real close to thermalling, and it's trying to cool off...

Anyone know if there's any built in limit to RPMs?
R40Victim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 04:53 PM   #869
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takt
I am running a GTB speed control with a Velocity 6.5 motor in a Losi XXX-BK2 buggy (I know this is the on-road section, but since this is a brushless question, I decided to post here). Over the last two weekends, unexpectedly in the middle of a run the buggy will lose power and run at 1/4 speed.

This has happened with several different batteries, so it isn't the battery. My understanding is if it were in thermal shutdown, the car would just quit -- not run at all.

Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks
You may have to send your GTB back for repair as it is not supose to do that. It's suposed to stop completely not give 1/4 throttle. I had the same problem and after numerous emails for and to charlie from novak he said it was a problem with the sensor in the motor and causes the motor to thermal earler. I sent the system back and received a new system a week or two later.
Drew.

Old 04-10-2006, 05:00 PM   #870
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I don't know about a rev limit or anything.. but to answer your thermal shutdown question...

The GTB doesn't actually just die. It allows you to crawl around on part throttle(It restricts to like 1/4 throttle or less) to get you back into the pits. But the car still moves... once it cools down enough then it goes back to full power.

Have you checked the esc when this is happening? Which lights are flashing on the unit? they'll tell you whether it's a thermal situaiton or a rotor dectect situation...
AngryAsian is offline   Reply With Quote