R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-21-2006, 11:28 PM   #781
Tech Regular

You can wire them up with two deans plug like this..
lookinco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 11:34 PM   #782
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Finally got my GTB this week, and when I started to install it in my T1FK05, I got stumped... Before I commit to wire lenghts, etc., I wanted to run it by yall for any installation advice.

How bright are the setup LEDs? If I mount it the way I think would be best for wire neatness, the LEDs will be pretty hidden. If I turn it where the LEDs are easily visible, I have motor wires and RX wires crossing the fan.

First choice - for neat wiring

Second choice - all wires cross fan, but easy to see LEDs

Another possibility, but the battery wires have to make a sharp bend around the top deck, and I don't want the edge of the deck cutting in to the wires

Any advice would be great...
Old 03-22-2006, 12:03 AM   #783
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

this is how i place the GTB on my T2, previously with the power cap hanging up with the motor wires... and then now wif the cap tucked in between the motor n GTB... the LEDs are quite bright and if i ever need to see them, i just look from the battery side
Attached Thumbnails
New Novak Brusless System-xray_t2_gtb.jpg   New Novak Brusless System-xray_t2_gtb2.jpg  
Bryan Thng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 02:58 AM   #784
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

IMHO... you don't really need to see the led's...

Once you have the thing setup you don't really need to change it all that much. As Bryn said, the led's are quite visible from the other side anyway. I never had a problem mounting the unit in a similar fashion on a pro4.

Just a little side note - not sure how other ppl went with it, but i found the screws that secure the fan to be very weak. Of the 4 - i broke two, and i NEVER break equipment. I'm very gentle on my car/bikes/models etc... so be careful!

I ENVY all those folks with a 4.5!

Me Wants!!!
AngryAsian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 07:18 AM   #785
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

here is mine

Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 11:44 AM   #786
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

You guys answered questions I had in my mind while waiting for my 4.5 system to arrive. The examples are great. Thanks for the pics.
Yellowtaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 11:50 AM   #787
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowtaro
You guys answered questions I had in my mind while waiting for my 4.5 system to arrive. The examples are great. Thanks for the pics.
my last picture is with the 4.5
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 12:09 PM   #788
Tech Adept

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewdc90
You couldn't wire the GTB like that. You would need to glue two deans plugs together because you need four terninals (three for the negative and one for the positive) The sphere is wired differently in brush mode.
I use the Venom 3.5mm gold connectors. These work great for switching between brushed and brushless.
Lano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 10:28 PM   #789
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I just solder my to the motor as I don't really need to run anything else. I'm going to get the 3.5mm connectors so I can switch between the 4.5 to the 5.5.

Sunshine Coast QLD AUSTRALIA

"If you stand still long enough you'll go backwards"

Last edited by Drewdc90; 03-24-2006 at 12:10 AM.
Drewdc90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 11:52 PM   #790
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

mine. might move cap down.. as per above pic. nice one...
Attached Thumbnails
New Novak Brusless System-t2withgtb.jpg  
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 12:36 AM   #791
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryAsian
IMHO... you don't really need to see the led's...

Once you have the thing setup you don't really need to change it all that much. As Bryn said, the led's are quite visible from the other side anyway. I never had a problem mounting the unit in a similar fashion on a pro4.

Just a little side note - not sure how other ppl went with it, but i found the screws that secure the fan to be very weak. Of the 4 - i broke two, and i NEVER break equipment. I'm very gentle on my car/bikes/models etc... so be careful!

I ENVY all those folks with a 4.5!

Me Wants!!!

AngryAsian - I would strongly suggest you replace the transparent Novak plastic fans with MUCH-MORE black plastic fans. They are of the same exact size and are more durable (thanks to the better plastic material). I have the GTB on a number of my Off-Road kits and now have no problems with any of my ESC fans. Hope that helps!
STEALTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 01:36 AM   #792
Tech Addict

Ahhhhh!! thanks for the tip.

Is there a particular model i should be looking for? Does it just plug right in? (Or should i welcome myself back into the real world where nothing fits..?)

Hope it moves as much air as the novak one. Must say though, my novak fan has crapped out very quickly!
Old 03-25-2006, 07:19 PM   #793
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryAsian
Ahhhhh!! thanks for the tip.

Is there a particular model i should be looking for? Does it just plug right in? (Or should i welcome myself back into the real world where nothing fits..?)

Hope it moves as much air as the novak one. Must say though, my novak fan has crapped out very quickly!
MuchMore 30mm ball bearing fan: part# MR-30FAN

30mmX7mm
Wire length=200mm.
5V, 0.17A, 0.85W

It has the same plug as the novak fan, so it will plug right in. It is also seems to be twice as powerful as the novak fan. Same as the pictured unit here, except it has a Muchmore sticker on it.
Attached Thumbnails
New Novak Brusless System-mr_30fan.gif  
Old 03-25-2006, 11:54 PM   #794
Tech Addict

Ahhhhh.. beautiful.

Thank you very much!..

Old 03-26-2006, 10:04 PM   #795
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

This past weekend I had a chance to really see what my new GTB 5.5 combo could do.

Bunbury Cup an annual race meet a couple of hundred of kay's south of the City.. it's a GP / EP event, good numbers, great people, great fun.

When I got there, I couldnt believe the size of the track!
Definately a nitro track anyway.

I fired up my Xray T2 with the system running 84 / 17 for an 8.4 ratio... it was maxing out not even 1/3rd into the straight. (50+mtr straight)

I went for a 19t pinion for a 7.52 FDR... running about 58mm tyres for a 24.24 rollout. MUCH better.

I had loads of grunt through most of the track, but just couldnt touch the brushed guys in the straight.. esp the guys running 7 turn motors, even some running 8's.

Most enjoyable part of the weekend? going past all the faster guys when their batteries dumped on them because this track is so damn big, people were gearing right up and just running out of power before the 5mins was up! hahaha. I top qualified as a result, despite not really being 'the fastest'.

Come Sunday (finals day) most racers had sorted out their gearing and learned to go easy on the throttle to conserve power. I was coming off the track with 1300+ still in my IB3800's.

I finished fourth overall. Very happy for my first ever mod race and 2nd time ever using mod at all (I'm a stock 27t racer)..

I tell you what, at my home track I run a 9.52 FDR... and it's damn fast... on this track the car just seemed so damn slow! esp on that killer straight, infact, it made driving the mod car quite easy, which was pretty enjoyable (no carnage for me!)

2007 Bunbury Cup and I'll be down there with a 4.5 motor, FOR SURE.

had bulk fun!

here's some pics of my pit bench, and the track: Note the main straight on the right of the pic, has a white line painted down the middle of it, i thought that was a very cool idea, sure does help when your really thrashing down the straight and want to keep your car in the right place, esp at the sweeper at the end! This track is in the space of THREE and a half basketball courts!
Attached Thumbnails
New Novak Brusless System-bunburycup1.jpg   New Novak Brusless System-bunburycup2.jpg  
James is offline   Reply With Quote