R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   New Novak Brusless System (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/73384-new-novak-brusless-system.html)

AngryAsian 03-19-2006 07:20 PM

LoL... when i first got the GTB i very nearly wet myself.

Not having driven a lot of MOD motors before i couldn't wipe the smile off my face. WoW...

I can totally sympathise with the tire situation. Mod cars just eat them.. Where previously you could get several races out of a set of soft-ish tires, you get a handful of runs before you're down to the tire carcass!

Not sure whether it works at your track, but a one-way setup with zero drag brake worked well for me on my Pro4. You can basically full throttle the sweepr at the end of the straight where the spool equiped cars are slowing down and pumping the throttle...

Lastly... my advice for the 5.5R is to gear DOWN not up. The motor gets surprisingly hot for a BL motor. Gearing up just makes it thermal. I shot a couple of e-mails off to Charlie at Novak CS and he recommends gearing down. The Velocity series of motors really likes to rev up... Gearing tall stalls them.

You will still lower your lap-time from the monster acceleration over anyu slight gain in top-speed down the straight.

Cheers!

James 03-20-2006 04:46 PM

is there -anything- i need to do with this motor? maintenance wise? like, oil a bearing or something?

motor has had five races so far (one race meet)... just want to keep it all good!

Marcos.J 03-20-2006 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by James
is there -anything- i need to do with this motor? maintenance wise? like, oil a bearing or something?

motor has had five races so far (one race meet)... just want to keep it all good!

every 10 runs I take the rotor out and lube the bearings

James 03-20-2006 05:34 PM

we're sposed to do that? Easy to do?

taa

lookinco 03-20-2006 05:35 PM

I am planning to get a Novak 4.5R system. How do I set it so that my top speed will be as fast as a 27T stock or a 19T?

I want the brushless for pratice but want to keep the speed with stock and 19T because I mainly race stock and 19T. And when my friends are running nitro I could get the full speed back to pratice with them! :p

BadBoyRC 03-20-2006 06:44 PM

I just got back from the 06 caprpet nats and I ran the 4.5r with gtb and all I can say is this sucker is FAST!!!!

My car setup was way off this weekend but the motor department was ballistic. quick everywhere and torque up the waszoo

no problem hanging with factory mods on the straight.. plus I did not have to cut a comm or even get my hands dirty messing with motors. just clean off and its ready to go again like having a freshly zapp, cutt and brokin mod.. almost like have you own private motor builder looking after you!

My fast lap were high 11' s the super fast ones were 11 flat. but I was doing battle with teams and I was solo.

One thing cool about the system is that it virtually never wears out. only moving part is the bearings. shoot it paid for itself the first race I used it at..

If I would have run brushed motor I would have had to get at least 2 or 3 motors @ 50$ a pop, fresh brushes every run, cut the comm plus comm cutter and have a mag zapper.. dang too much.. BL for me all the way

next I get the orion lipo.. and charge batts once a day...

I hope by the on road nats they will have lipos approved.

James 03-20-2006 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by lookinco
I am planning to get a Novak 4.5R system. How do I set it so that my top speed will be as fast as a 27T stock or a 19T?

I want the brushless for pratice but want to keep the speed with stock and 19T because I mainly race stock and 19T. And when my friends are running nitro I could get the full speed back to pratice with them! :p

you cant. Buy the GTB esc and a Novak 4300 BL motor.

lookinco 03-20-2006 07:25 PM

Can't you limit the top speed or something? But I guess the motor would have a lot more torque compared to a 27T or 19T.

AngryAsian 03-20-2006 09:02 PM

You could presumably limit the speed with the throttle EPA. But that is far from ideal.

Why are you buying the 4.5 anyway? Why would you buy a 7t motor and limit it down to 27t? Not only will the 4.5 suck more juice out of your batts, but it will accelerate like a mod anyway.

Get the 4300 instead... it will still be a little faster than a stocker though. Just a touch.

STLNLST 03-20-2006 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by BadBoyRC
I just got back from the 06 caprpet nats and I ran the 4.5r with gtb and all I can say is this sucker is FAST!!!!

My car setup was way off this weekend but the motor department was ballistic. quick everywhere and torque up the waszoo

no problem hanging with factory mods on the straight.. plus I did not have to cut a comm or even get my hands dirty messing with motors. just clean off and its ready to go again like having a freshly zapp, cutt and brokin mod.. almost like have you own private motor builder looking after you!

My fast lap were high 11' s the super fast ones were 11 flat. but I was doing battle with teams and I was solo.

One thing cool about the system is that it virtually never wears out. only moving part is the bearings. shoot it paid for itself the first race I used it at..

If I would have run brushed motor I would have had to get at least 2 or 3 motors @ 50$ a pop, fresh brushes every run, cut the comm plus comm cutter and have a mag zapper.. dang too much.. BL for me all the way

next I get the orion lipo.. and charge batts once a day...

I hope by the on road nats they will have lipos approved.

Your statement is a little mis leading. I ran one set of brushes the whole event and you saw how much motor I had. The check points are really great motors and with a 7x1 one set of brushes for a national event isn't bad at all.

Advil 03-20-2006 10:01 PM

I want a 3.5. :sneaky: :sneaky: :tire: :tire:

lookinco 03-21-2006 01:20 AM

I have two car, one is for race only with novak GTX and brushed 27T and 19T motor. The other car, planning to use brushless with this one, is for pratice. I don't want to bother with the brushed motor and just want to drive when I am praticing. Also in my track the nitro cars pratice together with electric. That's why I want the 4.5R so I can keep up with the nitro, and also turn it back down when praticing with other electric running 27T or 19T.

Originally Posted by AngryAsian
You could presumably limit the speed with the throttle EPA. But that is far from ideal.

Why are you buying the 4.5 anyway? Why would you buy a 7t motor and limit it down to 27t? Not only will the 4.5 suck more juice out of your batts, but it will accelerate like a mod anyway.

Get the 4300 instead... it will still be a little faster than a stocker though. Just a touch.

Marcos.J 03-21-2006 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by Advil
I want a 3.5. :sneaky: :sneaky: :tire: :tire:

its coming :sneaky:

AngryAsian 03-21-2006 02:23 PM

It's coming? !! A 3.5? Nuts...

Any idea how long Marcos?

Marcos.J 03-21-2006 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by AngryAsian
It's coming? !! A 3.5? Nuts...

Any idea how long Marcos?

just over heard from a few guys at the birds last month