R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-13-2006, 04:30 PM   #721
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: England
Posts: 257
Default

nnick,

at the 1/12th euros some team drivers had a 4 star and a 5 star and were testing them against the 5.5r and 4.5r

according to a driver who was there that I race with, he said on sunday that the LRP lacks punch out ogf the corners. i suspect this is a software problem rather than the motor / esc itself
TraceRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 04:37 PM   #722
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 756
Send a message via AIM to Proteus
Default

Thinking about doing the jump to brushless. I want to start running mod, but the cost and hassle of cutting the com every 2-3 runs really gets old. I figured with the brushless I can maximize practice time. So how do these brushless compare with the mod motors. I was running an 8x2 and a 9x2 this past weekend. Loooking for something comparable to the brushed mods I was running. Thanks.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 04:39 PM   #723
Super Moderator
 
Marcos.J's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Semper Fi
Posts: 27,179
Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus
Thinking about doing the jump to brushless. I want to start running mod, but the cost and hassle of cutting the com every 2-3 runs really gets old. I figured with the brushless I can maximize practice time. So how do these brushless compare with the mod motors. I was running an 8x2 and a 9x2 this past weekend. Loooking for something comparable to the brushed mods I was running. Thanks.
get the GTB with the 4.5 is fast !! its supposed to be faster than a 7 turn! I have it and I got it geared at a 10.11 fdr and it still wants to accelerate at the end of the straight
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 04:43 PM   #724
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: England
Posts: 257
Default

having recently made the very change you are thinking of, here's my take on it.

GTB with 5.5r is a tad quicker than a 10 turn, not as quick in a straight line as a 9, but with greater efficiency found i was reeling in 9t in the final 40-50 seconds as there was no noticable drop off in peformance at the end of the race.

My only gripe with the Noval is the sensor harness wire - if the made an external to motor connection similar to the one on the GTB they could sell loads of different lengths for us to select which best suits our layout. In my Xray the gtb is maybe 10mm away from the motor - but I have about 15 yards of harness to "loop" which looks really messy.
TraceRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 04:49 PM   #725
Super Moderator
 
Marcos.J's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Semper Fi
Posts: 27,179
Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraceRacing
having recently made the very change you are thinking of, here's my take on it.

GTB with 5.5r is a tad quicker than a 10 turn, not as quick in a straight line as a 9, but with greater efficiency found i was reeling in 9t in the final 40-50 seconds as there was no noticable drop off in peformance at the end of the race.

My only gripe with the Noval is the sensor harness wire - if the made an external to motor connection similar to the one on the GTB they could sell loads of different lengths for us to select which best suits our layout. In my Xray the gtb is maybe 10mm away from the motor - but I have about 15 yards of harness to "loop" which looks really messy.
I shorten the wires on mine with no change on performance,now they are about 3 inches just enough to reach the ESC
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 05:31 PM   #726
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 756
Send a message via AIM to Proteus
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraceRacing
having recently made the very change you are thinking of, here's my take on it.

GTB with 5.5r is a tad quicker than a 10 turn, not as quick in a straight line as a 9, but with greater efficiency found i was reeling in 9t in the final 40-50 seconds as there was no noticable drop off in peformance at the end of the race.

My only gripe with the Noval is the sensor harness wire - if the made an external to motor connection similar to the one on the GTB they could sell loads of different lengths for us to select which best suits our layout. In my Xray the gtb is maybe 10mm away from the motor - but I have about 15 yards of harness to "loop" which looks really messy.
Thanks for the input. I guess I should just go with the 4.5. and pick up a 5.5 for smaller and/or technical tracks.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 05:36 PM   #727
Super Moderator
 
Marcos.J's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Semper Fi
Posts: 27,179
Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus
Thanks for the input. I guess I should just go with the 4.5. and pick up a 5.5 for smaller and/or technical tracks.
I bought the 5800 for short technical tracks and it works great, I have the 4.5,5.5,5800 and Im getting the 6.5 also to try out!
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 06:53 PM   #728
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 845
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Instead of purchasing 2 or 3 Brushless motors, wouldn't it the same to just get one 4.5 or 5.4 motor and make adjustments through the radio systems and GTB Esc unit to make the motor more controllable on smaller more technical tracks?
vadn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 07:03 PM   #729
Tech Addict
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 667
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

My choice would try gearing down so and have gobs of torq if car is to fast.
corwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 07:31 PM   #730
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Kuala Lumpur Malaysia
Posts: 278
Default

vadn

in large high speed track, you need all the power you can have from the motor. 4.5 motor is the way to go. Peaky power curve is not going to cause drivability problems case high speed track is usually wider and longer

for technical track, you need a lot of torque and flatter power curve. I would go with 6.5 or even 5800 motor. Drivability is the key for technical track.
azmio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 08:11 PM   #731
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 845
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

what was I thinking, The torque curve for the 5800 , 6.5, 5.5 and 4.5 will be different...
vadn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 01:05 AM   #732
Tech Addict
 
AngryAsian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 550
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

WOW>......


we ran my friends 4.5 today. Unfortunately, we were short on time so we couldn't do a literal side-by-side compario of the 5.5 and the 4.5.

But wow did that car fly... Good power. Good speed. Definately a big jump up from the 5.5....

We came away quite impressed. It was about as fast as i've seen any other motor go, so that's a good sign. Bjust have to see what it's like on track..
AngryAsian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 04:59 PM   #733
Tech Master
 
James's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Perth
Posts: 1,196
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Does any1 have any suggestions regarding braking for a GTB/5.5 in an XRAY T2 (running a one-way)? that is, without the car completely spinning out under brakes..?

would drag brake slow the car down without it spinning out? should i fiddle with the ABS function in my helios radio? Should i just change the front diff to fully locked (solid axle?) to get more stable braking?

never used the BL system yet, I'm a stock racer moving to mod, about to throw it in for some action this weekend. Pretty tight track, technical. following w'end i have a huge open track to race on..

suggestions welcome!
__________________
http://www.teamadrenaline.net/ - RC Race Results, News, and gossip in Australia!
http://www.nolimitarcade.com/ - the best web flash games
http://www.fireflyhelicopter.com/ - R/C heli vids 'n more
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 05:00 PM   #734
Super Moderator
 
Marcos.J's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Semper Fi
Posts: 27,179
Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by James
Does any1 have any suggestions regarding braking for a GTB/5.5 in an XRAY T2 (running a one-way)? that is, without the car completely spinning out under brakes..?

would drag brake slow the car down without it spinning out? should i fiddle with the ABS function in my helios radio? Should i just change the front diff to fully locked (solid axle?) to get more stable braking?

never used the BL system yet, I'm a stock racer moving to mod, about to throw it in for some action this weekend. Pretty tight track, technical. following w'end i have a huge open track to race on..

suggestions welcome!
just cut back on your brake travel on your radio
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 05:25 PM   #735
Tech Master
 
James's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Perth
Posts: 1,196
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos.J
just cut back on your brake travel on your radio
that simple huh? I'll check it out!
__________________
http://www.teamadrenaline.net/ - RC Race Results, News, and gossip in Australia!
http://www.nolimitarcade.com/ - the best web flash games
http://www.fireflyhelicopter.com/ - R/C heli vids 'n more
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Novak GTB 4-cell Brusless Speed Controller Greg Amendola R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 0 04-16-2008 12:59 PM
WTB: ASSOCIATED B44 W/ BRUSLESS SYSTEM levi m R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 1 02-15-2008 05:27 PM
brusless esc , maybe system jslider R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 1 11-18-2007 05:30 PM
Novak XBR Brusless/Brushed ESC Delyt R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 4 11-15-2007 09:44 AM
Novak 4.5 Brusless System Speedo/4.5 Motor w/Sintered installed mike ivy R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 5 10-25-2006 06:57 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 11:23 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net