R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-08-2006, 04:30 PM   #706
Tech Regular

Default BRUSHLESS

I am very excited about the brushless class. no more tediouse motor cuting and dropped little parts. lol.
how ever for now I think there should be a 4300 class and a stock brushed class. as for modified let em all run together. I have an SS5800 and will be picking up a 4.5 novak today. I'm going to be running in sportsman modified in 1/10th oval at the vedo drome. It should be spectacular which ever way is comes back to terra firma.
nagatahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 02:49 PM   #707
Tech Adept

Maybe it has been already asked before but can I use this bl system in rainy conditions???
Thanks
benoitrdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 03:15 PM   #708
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by benoitrdv
Maybe it has been already asked before but can I use this bl system in rainy conditions???
Thanks
Its not at all water proof so I would say this is an big NO.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 09:53 AM   #709
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM
Its not at all water proof so I would say this is an big NO.
Thank you I hope it won't be raining at the euros or even the worlds ;-)))
benoitrdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 09:56 AM   #710
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Yeah...lol! The motors would be fine but the speeds would need to get sealed away from moisture...and they really dont like reductions in airflow
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 10:16 AM   #711
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me
Dear Novak,

4300 is the new "stock." Please, please release a version of this motor with the upgraded end bell and rotor, and give it a name, maybe "Stock Brushless" and let us be done with this brushed motor idiocy.
Actually Novak is working on a motor that is slower than the 4300 - it's alot closer to a really good stock motor. When my local track held the Novak Brushless Oval race a couple weeks ago, Novak sent a few new motors for them to test out. There is one at my local track, I think Scotty got one and someone else. I saw the new motor run last Sunday. It's pretty close to a stock. It seems to have a little more low end torque, but the the speed on the straight seemed about the same. When they tried gearing it up to see how fast it would go and it ended up thermaling.
dway100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 10:30 AM   #712
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Oh, wow, that's really really great news. I'm glad to see they're thinking clearly! Hopefully they get out soon, I'd love to give it a shot.

Charlie? How long?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dway100
Actually Novak is working on a motor that is slower than the 4300 - it's alot closer to a really good stock motor. When my local track held the Novak Brushless Oval race a couple weeks ago, Novak sent a few new motors for them to test out. There is one at my local track, I think Scotty got one and someone else. I saw the new motor run last Sunday. It's pretty close to a stock. It seems to have a little more low end torque, but the the speed on the straight seemed about the same. When they tried gearing it up to see how fast it would go and it ended up thermaling.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 10:37 AM   #713
Tech Adept

It needs to be able to run in a stock class though, I don't think it is necessary to add yet another class.
mguebert69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 10:42 AM   #714
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I agree, the guy that was running the new motor was turning the fastest laps of the day, but not by very much - .1-.2 sec per lap. I think it needs "de-tuned" just a little more and it would be perfect.
dway100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 11:16 AM   #715
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dway100
I agree, the guy that was running the new motor was turning the fastest laps of the day, but not by very much - .1-.2 sec per lap. I think it needs "de-tuned" just a little more and it would be perfect.
i don't think we'll see BL running against BR in stock at places where stock racing is competitive. if the person running BL/BR is faster (even if completely a result of the driver), it is always going to be the motor. on the opposite end, if a person is slower (ie wrong gearing) it is also always going to be the motor.

that being said, i would love to see BL to become the norm. the older i get, the less i enjoy working on my equipment (too many other responsibilities). BL fits the bill nicely.
gee-dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 11:44 AM   #716
Tech Legend

Default Brushless in stock is the future...

I disagree , as the newbee`s come in the tracks to buy ...
They will be offered brush or brushless ...

Of course they will tell the novice you will have to purchase a lathe & solder brush`s each time they "Tune" the brush motor ..

or

Buy a brushless and run with out the extra expense needed to run a brush motor...

Of course we already know which choice the newbee`s will make after thinking bout the choice...

so

The newbee begins to race novice with a brushless ...
and gets better ....

so

Newbee gets the boot out of novice, to race stock .....

Guess which motor they will still be allowed to race ?

BRUSHLESS !!!!

Its the future , don`t chea know .....
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 12:47 PM   #717
Tech Regular

For some classes the 4300 is way faster than a stock motor. I went a full half second a lap faster than stock at CEFX in 12th a couple of weeks ago. It was only a few tenths slower than what we ran in mod. Some of the guys saw similar results in sedan and ended up running with the 19 turn guys.

A slower motor might be a good way to bridge the gap a little bit but the powerband is so much different that you'll never get the brushless motors to be the same as stock on every track.
Unregistered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 01:42 PM   #718
Shop Owner

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to nnick Send a message via MSN to nnick Send a message via Yahoo to nnick Send a message via Skype™ to nnick

Did anyone do any comparison Novak's 4.5 with LRP's 4 star??

I'm really curious which one is faster.

Also, are those motors interchangable?

Nick

The #1 source for all your electric needs www.rcring.eu

Enjoy RCing....
R/C Tech #82
IRT #123

Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong

Team Xray T4'17, Team Xray X10'18, TOP Racing Rebel
nnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 02:34 PM   #719
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

I have a Yokomo CGM that I am thinking of fitting the novak brushless motor to that car. Will the motor fit that car, given the motor mount is different than other types of SD and BD cars? Thanks.
Yellowtaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 04:02 PM   #720
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Motor should fit perfect with your CGM? Might be tight fit on the receiver if you want to mount it beside the ESC but using a low profile servo (S9550) should help or just mount it on top of the servo.