R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-08-2006, 08:05 PM   #631
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R40Victim
My 5.5 is unreal...curious to see if the 4.5 will bend the laws of physics...

Don't just nail the throttle, you'll rip a hole in the fabric of space-time!
RCknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 03:33 PM   #632
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Smile

After having a minor problem with my 5.5 and GTB slowing down due to a problem with a faulty sensor I would like to thanks Charlie and Co at Novak for their great customer service. It was sent from Australia, arrived 7 days later, the problem diagnosed and problems sorted within 2 days and shipped back.
Throughout the whole process Charlie kept in constant contact via emails to let me know the progress and to also find out specifics about the problem.
As much as no one wants to have a problem its reassuring that when you do someone will take the time to look after you. I was not impressed with LRP's service people when I had a problem with my QC2. That was one reason I did not purchase a sphere.
From my experience with Novak I definately recommend the GTB system to any one contemplating a brushless. As well its the quickest brushless around.
Thanks Charlie and Co.

Sunshine Coast QLD AUSTRALIA

"If you stand still long enough you'll go backwards"
Drewdc90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 03:00 AM   #633
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

For anybody else experiencing the vibration problem with the 4300 and 5800, it was fixed by adding the rotor/endbell upgrade. I haven't driven the car yet with the upgrade, but the thing finally sounds right! Nice and quiet and smooth, as you'd expect.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 10:59 AM   #634
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Shortening sensor wires on GTB

Has anyone shortened thier sensor wires? I wanted to re-solder mine to the motor, but the pcb end bell asm doesn't seem to want to come off. I don't want to damage it, so I thought I'd see if anyone has taken thier motor apart without having trouble getting to the those wires.

Is the end bell glued on? I took all 6 screw out, but the pcb seems stuck on.

Anyone have pics of a disassembled motor. I'd recrimp the end, but I don't know the part number for the terminials...look slike a AMP part.
morosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 12:58 PM   #635
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

i have been considering a brushless system. due to being tired of cutting mod arms every 5 runs. duh! im wanting to know if i will be happy with the power of the brushless system compared to say an 8 single brushed? and is there any feedback from the new 4.5 users? i will be using this in oval racing and the motor rules are open! wooo hooo. i know this might be posted here before but didn't feel like reading 20 pages.
racerfreedxxxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 01:40 PM   #636
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

does anyone have the gtb 4.5 combo instock yet?
racerfreedxxxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 07:59 PM   #637
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewdc90
After having a minor problem with my 5.5 and GTB slowing down due to a problem with a faulty sensor I would like to thanks Charlie and Co at Novak for their great customer service. It was sent from Australia, arrived 7 days later, the problem diagnosed and problems sorted within 2 days and shipped back.

Throughout the whole process Charlie kept in constant contact via emails to let me know the progress and to also find out specifics about the problem.
As much as no one wants to have a problem its reassuring that when you do someone will take the time to look after you. I was not impressed with LRP's service people when I had a problem with my QC2. That was one reason I did not purchase a sphere.

From my experience with Novak I definately recommend the GTB system to any one contemplating a brushless. As well its the quickest brushless around.
Thanks Charlie and Co.

I 2nd Drewdc90's post and statement. Novak's custmoer service is AMAZING! Charlie is their point man and he always takes care of you! I'm a Novak customer for life thanks to him! Bob Novak will be happy to know that I now own and have over 12 Novak Brushless Systems from the Super Sport, Super Sport Plus, to the GTB! Yes a few had issues but I always got taken care of promptly by Charlie and the gang in Orange! Kudos with regards to Customer Care!!!
STEALTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 03:48 AM   #638
Tech Regular

Does anyone know if there is a shorter wiring loom for the GTB? I run mine in a T2 and only need about 3" max and while I'm happy to shorten the motor wires, the harness is a different animal.

Also, if it's not possible to get a shorter version, could I wind the harness "around" the shortend motor wires to keep it neat and tidy?

Dave
TraceRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 05:13 AM   #639
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

im running a novak 4.5 in about 24hours, i will post my thoughts after this time. i'll be able to compare it to my 5.5 run from a week ago at the same track.
Old 02-13-2006, 05:41 AM   #640
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 127 (100%+)
Default 4.5

Keep us posted on the 4.5

Thanks Black knight remember to roll the throttle on slowly

Later.........

🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻💪😃👍🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻
RED-LINE M03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 06:30 AM   #641
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Ditto....

fill us in...

although i'm surprised it has taken this long for someone to start gushing about it!...

So... it's agree'd a 5.5 is around 9t power.
The 4.5 will be.....(fill in the blank)

Cheers!
AngryAsian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 07:15 AM   #642
Tech Elite

if only the cabling was neater... and the speedy just a touch smaller. i recon the 4.5 will be my next motor. does it have a drag brake effect like the brushed motors? i used to run hacker. it use to roll so freely i found it hard to drive on small tracks.

a few questions:

-can the cables be cut as short as you like?
-does it have the annoying "stutter" and dead spot that the hacker used to have?
-is it as programable as the GTX? ( i know it is better, but are there features in the brushless speedy missing?)
-how much heavier compared to a GTX orion V2 setup is it?
-does it have adjustable drag brake?
VenomWorldOrder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 09:53 AM   #643
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Venom,
1 power cables can be cut down buy short of splicing the wires, the sensor wire harness is best left alone.
2 No Stutter. I have had both GTB's and the older SS and never have seen a Novak stutter.
3 It is programmable but not as programmable as a GTX (It does have reverse which is nice for practice)
4 It is a bit heavier. I think the motor weighs 30-40 grams more than a brushed motor
5 Drag brake is adjustable from 10-50% of total braking power in 5% increments and they are very smooth, better than any brushed setup I hve used.

Charlie, regarding #4, has Novak considered molding the motor case out of composite with inserts for the motor screws? Since the motor generates so little heat I would think that it could be made less expensive and lighter this way. It works for brushed endbells...

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 11:47 AM   #644
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Well, we finally got a chance to wring out our 5.5s on Sunday. We finished rebuilding the track around 2 pm, and spent the next 3 hours on a test & tune session. There were 5 of us, all with 5.5 systems in all different touring cars. They were, my pro-4, then a Cyclone, a XXX-S graphite, a JRXS and the last one I didn't look(he usually runs oval anyway). My car and the XXX-S seemed to be the top contendors, with mine having a little more top end(gearing changes to follow, we both felt like they could go several teeth higher, because even after some hard runs, the motor never broke 120 degrees, and the speedo never broke 100). We are all very impressed, these cars will hang with nitro cars in the straight sections now, and of course pass them through the curves.

The one thing we all did notice was the lack of runtime. I know my old 3300s are not the best in the world, but the 3800 matched pack in the XXX-S didn't seem to last very long either. We're not even sure if they'll go a whole 5 minute race. We didn't time it with a clock or anything, so one of my tuning goals is to go back out there with a stop watch and see how long it actually lasts. They just seemed like short runs, but who knows, maybe the excitment of having that much power, sped up our mental clocks or something...more to come.

P.S. I'm probably gonna pick up one of those Orion Platinum Li-Po packs, so I'll have data reguarding them in reguards to the 5.5 systems soon as well...
R40Victim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 11:53 AM   #645
Tech Initiate

does anyone know the kv of the novak motors ??
i know it has been asked many times but i just couldn't find....
yzafrir is offline   Reply With Quote