Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Novak Brusless System

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 04:45 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I purchased the gtb 5.5 and ran it for the first time this weekend at a Florida State Race. Raced against billy easton, paul wynn, jared scott, and although I am not as fast, or as good a driver as them, I was very competitive running the brushless. I can say I was never pulled on the straight, and even pulled some other mod cars in the class. I think once I get the gearing and gtb settings right, combined w/ the new 4.5, It will be the way to go. Ran the motor w/ ib3800's, no power loss the whole race. My best lap time w/ brushless 14.2, The best lap time for the factory guys 13.9. So there you go!

BTW, It sure was nice not rebuilding motors all weekend.

Last edited by dbmartin; 01-25-2006 at 05:19 PM.
Old 01-25-2006, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dbmartin
I purchased the gtb 5.5 and ran it for the first time this weekend at a Florida State Race. Raced against billy easton, paul wynn, jared scott, and although I am not as fast, or as good a driver as them, I was very competitive running the brushless. I can say I was never pulled on the straight, and even pulled some other mod cars in the class. I think once I get the gearing and gtb settings right, combined w/ the new 4.5, It will be the way to go. Ran the motor w/ ib4800's, no power loss the whole race. My best lap time w/ brushless 14.2, The best lap time for the factory guys 13.9. So there you go!

BTW, It sure was nice not rebuilding motors all weekend.
I can agree with you there I also ran the GTB that weekend and I was in a heat with Billy and i thought my car was just as fast as his in the straight i just couldnt keep up with him for to long

Dave Franklin also ran the GTB with the 5.5 and he had a lot of laps in the low 14's
Old 01-25-2006, 10:18 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I've probably said it before, but I'll say it again. LRP, listen up, scrap the stupid "star" motor rating and get with the program. Call 'em what they are, by wind or Kv, preferably wind, since that is what others use. Do it, unless you're afraid to go head to head with the Novak stuff.

Major 'tardation.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:22 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I wish all the manufacturers would just go back to listing the Kv. rating.
It's like brushed motors... sure, some are more powerful than others on paper, but each motor has it's own characteristics.

So one with a high Kv, might not put out as much torque as the next motor and so forth. But damn.. it would just make buying the things so much easier.
Old 01-26-2006, 05:25 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 208 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Charlie
The Rotor upgrade is also a slightly stronger magnet with slightly different shaft design. Makes the motor a bit stronger across the board.

There is no GTB/10.5 Combo.

Thanks
Charlie I just bought a SS5800 motor in December. How do I know I have the upgraded rotor?

Also my SS4300 seems a little less punchier than others runnig the same motor with the same roll out. Any thoughts?
Old 01-26-2006, 08:53 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey dodgeguy, what kind of batteries are you running? That may be the why...
Old 01-26-2006, 09:12 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 208 (100%+)

Originally Posted by R40Victim
Hey dodgeguy, what kind of batteries are you running? That may be the why...
They are Brood high level Ib cells. 1.2+
Old 01-26-2006, 09:16 AM
Tech Champion

How about your drivetrain, is it nice and free? When was the last time you cleaned your motor? Have you tried letting one of the faster guys drive your car to see if they aggree? These are just the things I can think of. Grab one of the other brushless guys at your track and see what they come up with.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:30 AM
Tech Master

I usually can't keep up with R/C Tech "Post Rate" on a day to day basis, so If I miss anything, Please don't hesitate to Email me directly.

[email protected] Or
[email protected]

None of the SS motors "come with" the upgrade. You can tell a changed one from the outside. The bearing is Bigger and you can see it from the outside. Very easy to "tech".

I've tried to get motors to run identical in one car and another. It doesn't work at all. I've taken my motor out of my car given it to others and the difference stays. So it's "USUALLY" not the motor. It's the setup and how well the car works. Even if you use the same exact setup it's not the same.

KV is really useless for most stuff. It doesn't call out sizes of lots of things that effect it, nor the voltage range of the motor. So turns and 540 can is the best way to go... well in our Novak Opinion anyway....

I was thinking of making up some new ratings that didn't mean anything and could confuse people further..... Maybe Donkeys. But use huge numbers.

45 Donkey Motor is Super Fast, but a 100 Donkey motor is slow.

You see, you use the size of the numbers backwards to make it even more confusing........

Don't forget I love emails [email protected]

Thanks Guys.

Last edited by Charlie; 01-26-2006 at 09:46 AM.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:04 AM
Tech Champion

I like the Donkey system, lets go with that... Kinda like trying to explain to a noob about fewer turns in brushed motors.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:51 AM
Tech Addict

Nice new motor Charlie. Just wanted to shed some light into the LRP Star rating, since this is no longer a secret...

1-Star = 8.5t
2-Star = 7.5t
3-Star = 6.5t
4-Star = 5.5t
9-Star = 0.5t...
Old 01-26-2006, 11:17 AM
Tech Regular

I want a 10-Star!!!
Old 01-26-2006, 11:39 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Charlie, what do you think the feasablilty of using "double" winds would be (like brushed motors)? Will the ESC's eventually be tunable? With brushed motors there is a level of tunability (springs, timing, single, double triple blah blah..) but with brushless the stator is locked in place leading me to believe that these attributes could be designed into the speed control. I'm thinking of timing advance/retard, soft pulses for low traction etc... Oh, how about a moving timing setting that changes with RPM? Kinda like electric VTEC! That would be very neat.
Are things like this in the future for Brushless speed controls?
Old 01-26-2006, 11:40 AM
Tech Regular

Default Ratings

If you go with a donkey rating, Reedy will buy a motor and go with a sheep rating...
Old 01-26-2006, 02:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Unregistered
If you go with a donkey rating, Reedy will buy a motor and go with a sheep rating...
hahahahaha

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.