R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-27-2005, 08:44 AM   #496
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davenport
Just got back from racing dirt tonight. My friend and I both have GTB escs but he has the 5800 motor and I have the 6.5. I can honestly say that I could see no difference in power anywhere on the track. Anyone else out there have any experience with the GTB and the 5800 motor. In case your wondering track size is 100 X 50 and we were both geared at 81x18 in a B4.

Hhmm.... I've actually found the opposite ?! My 6.5 GTB is definitely more powerful than the 5800 some guys at my track have. I race 4WD Off-Road. Some of them are actually going to "upgrade" soon!
TEAM-AE-4-EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 09:02 AM   #497
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang

Hey,

I finally tried brushless (SS with 5800) and its pretty awesome I must say. I am hoping someone has some info to help me.

First-how does the 5800 in Sportsman mode compare to a 4300 unlimited? Do they have about the same power band and feel?

Second, for onroad carpet 85x50 track, whats the highest rollout I can run in unlimited mode with the 5800 and not shutdown? Also-can you overgear a brushless and roll it around like a mod, not really using full throttle in the infield. Will this keep motor temp and esc temp down or does it make no difference? btw-I already installed a fan on the esc.

Thanks,
Ray
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 02:16 PM   #498
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

My 4300 and 5800 both do the same thing mentioned earlier, with the weird vibration at certain RPM's. It's loud enough that you can hear it when the car is on the track. I'll have to check and see if the bearings are being squeezed too tightly in my motors as well. The quality control on this has indeed been a little disappointing. I wonder if Novak has addressed the vibration issue yet?

Ray,

I've only used the GTB, which eliminates the modes of the SS because of their inaccuracy, or something of the sort. I do believe the manual that comes with the motors gives some gearing recommendations which seems to be pretty accurate. Brushless is still relatively new to me, so I'm figuring it all out.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 02:39 PM   #499
Tech Lord

Hmm, the bearings are smooth when they're in the can, and taking the plastic end piece off doesn't seem to affect the vibrating. Do they all do this? It seems particularly loud around 80%, and then gets very smooth around 100%. It's kind of like the sound a bad bearing would make, but they seem to be fine.

Maybe I should look into using the Neo motors with the GTB if the Novak offering is problematic.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:48 PM   #500
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)

I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem.

I purchased a GTB and SS5800 from my local track. I installed it into my Pro 4. Got the esc to program to my M8. The throttle would work a couple of times. Every now and then the motor would not spin. If I moved the wheel with my hand it would spin. The motor does a shimmy when I pull the throttle and it does not spin. I called Novak and the guy said it sounded like a phase is out in the GTB. Now this thing has ran for less than 30 seconds and it is already bad out of the package!.

I had heard of some problems with the LRP. That is why I went with the Novak. As you would imaging I am upset some. I sent it back to Novak. Paying for the shipping. If I want it back any time soon. I need to spend more on shipping.

I know they try and test. But when the Cyclone was out I had some problems out of them. So I switched to Tekin and LRP. And never had a problem out of my G10,G9, V6, or V7.1

Anyway. Anyone else have a dud out of the box?
dodgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 03:01 PM   #501
Tech Lord

The upcoming Neo motors from Reedy look interesting. I can only find turns and not KV, so I don't know how they compare with the Novak offering. It looks like they're going to offer one (the 1 star) that'll be close to performing like a stock motor, which would be pretty cool.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:08 PM   #502
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to axle182

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me
Hmm, the bearings are smooth when they're in the can, and taking the plastic end piece off doesn't seem to affect the vibrating. Do they all do this? It seems particularly loud around 80%, and then gets very smooth around 100%. It's kind of like the sound a bad bearing would make, but they seem to be fine.

Maybe I should look into using the Neo motors with the GTB if the Novak offering is problematic.
Id put my money on an out of balance shaft. It will sounds smooth at certain revs, then vibrate like crazy at its resonance frequency. If i were you, email novak about this, they might be able to rebalance the shaft, or just buy another one.

I personally love my GTB. amazing power. Im having trouble driving smoothly, its too tempting to slam down the throttle out of turns!
Old 12-09-2005, 03:11 PM   #503
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeguy
I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem.

I purchased a GTB and SS5800 from my local track. I installed it into my Pro 4. Got the esc to program to my M8. The throttle would work a couple of times. Every now and then the motor would not spin. If I moved the wheel with my hand it would spin. The motor does a shimmy when I pull the throttle and it does not spin. I called Novak and the guy said it sounded like a phase is out in the GTB. Now this thing has ran for less than 30 seconds and it is already bad out of the package!.

I had heard of some problems with the LRP. That is why I went with the Novak. As you would imaging I am upset some. I sent it back to Novak. Paying for the shipping. If I want it back any time soon. I need to spend more on shipping.

I know they try and test. But when the Cyclone was out I had some problems out of them. So I switched to Tekin and LRP. And never had a problem out of my G10,G9, V6, or V7.1

Anyway. Anyone else have a dud out of the box?
i know of 4 GTB 5.5r brushless systems which have been mint out of the box. Altho my fan one the esc has died... but it stopped working when i moved the esc from car to car, probably my fault. It wants to turn but something is stopping it. ill take another look at it sometime over the weekend, i doubt id make a full race without the fan working.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:15 PM   #504
Tech Elite

Speaking of gear ratios, i had my 5.5r running around 9.3 FDR the other week. Thats on foams in a 415 on carpet. It was still mega fast down the straight too. Ive found that with the 'good' IB3800's, running a much smaller pinion than usual gave even better top end speed and gave incredible punch. I shudder to think what kind of revs it was pulling at the end of the straight Problem was, my driving that weekend wasnt able to utilise the power
Old 12-09-2005, 03:22 PM   #505
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 127 (100%+)
Default 4.5R

Is it true that Novak is working on a 4.5R brushless?

Anybody know of a release date?
RED-LINE M03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 03:47 PM   #506
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default I'm still waiting on the rotor and endbell upgrade.

A 4.5?
RCknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 07:33 PM   #507
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Ohhhh.... lets not talk about a 4.5 just yet.
I placed my order for a GTB 5.5 just a week ago.
LoL..

Suppose it was bound to happen.
I've read lots of speculation, that's it.
AngryAsian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 08:22 PM   #508
Tech Lord

Man, if the shafts are out of balance, it's happening about the same on my 5800 and 4300. They're both less than two months old, so needing to buy a new one is sort of counterintuitive to the whole idea behind brushless motors in R/C. I'll give Novak a call since they don't seem to monitor this board anymore, and see what they have to say. The more I think about it, the more I'd be inclined to buy motors from a company like Reedy and ESC's from a company like Novak (or LRP, though the GTB has 'em beat it seems) much like I did with brushed stuff. We'll see how it pans out.

The new Reedy brushless motors look a lot more sexy than the Novak motors, but that's bench racing stuff I guess. :-D
Old 12-12-2005, 12:29 AM   #509
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Glitching problems

Anyone had any glitching problems with their radio gear since switching to brushless?? Ran mine for the first time this weekend but had to go back to the Futaba AM as my JR XS3 would glitch. Steering was ok but throttle response would delay over a certain distance. About 50 feet (15M). This is the 40Meg FM system in an Xray FK04. Other guys here are running FK 05's with 27meg JR's and Novak 5.5 and no problems. So any suggestions

Sunshine Coast QLD AUSTRALIA

"If you stand still long enough you'll go backwards"
Drewdc90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 03:03 AM   #510
Tech Apprentice

Gear my 5.5 around 8.7 on my Pro 4 and run over the weekend.
On the straight it is faster or same as those 8 turners, the esc still feels warm only .
ah_liang is offline   Reply With Quote