Wiki Posts
Search

New Novak Brusless System

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 03:17 PM
Tech Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by Aries326
I've got a SuperSport ESC with the 5800, would you say that running the 5800 with the GTB is faster? Another question, besides the ability to run brushed motors and having lower internal resistance, what other advantages does the GTB have over the Super Sport? If I bought a 5.5 motor, would that work with the SuperSport the way it is intended to work or does the 5.5 really need to be matched with the GTB to "unleash" its full potential? Likewise, would other brushless motors work with the SuperSport? Thanks for the help.
Running GTB with a 5800 motor would provide you faster lap times, I own two SS5800 systems, and one Velocity 5.5R GTB systems. The SS system does not allow you to dial in drag brake/min brake for corners. You will find this as a major improvement between the two. In off road practice I actually was able to dial in too much drag brake on a semi technical course using the 9th profile setting with my Losi BK2 and a recommended ratio of 12.35 (82/17*2.56). Do not connect your 5.5 Velocity to your SS ESC. Novak specifically states not to do so. You can only use the SS motors with the GTB, not the other way around.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:09 PM
Tech Initiate

Guys -

One thing I haven't heard about with the brushless system is if they give you better battery run time? It seems like brushless would be extremely more efficient on the batteries and battery life. Is there a difference?
Old 10-31-2005, 09:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Big difference, You can get 30-60 secs extra, no dumping issues anymore.
Old 11-01-2005, 08:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Guys, how is everyone soldering brushed motors to the esc? please post pics, thanks
Old 11-01-2005, 09:20 PM
Tech Champion

Checkout the previous post of someone using a modified 3 way deans plug which is very neat.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:47 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by glide 1
Guys, how is everyone soldering brushed motors to the esc? please post pics, thanks
you can always use bullet connectors like the one used with the mamba.. work great for me,, just for the brushed motor though combine all the wires onto one wire that way you have a neater connection.. http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...7&I=LXKYD2&P=K

2 packs of these,,, one for the brushed and the other just use the male/female for the brushless connection..
Old 11-03-2005, 12:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Has anyone experienced problems with making run time? Im running foams on carpet, and my GP3300 dont seem to be lasting long (first proper race this weekend). Is there some ways i can ensure i make run time? I think the gearing is fine, its not coming off badly hot, and its dam fast, but should i be turning off the drag brakes etc?

Thanks
Old 11-03-2005, 03:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Running a more effecient profile (I'm assuming you can change it to be more efficient like a normal brushed ESC, I haven't got mine yet.... Charlie! ) . Gearing down should help. Don't drive it like a stock motor, people often overdrive foam carpet sedans. Or get higher capacity GP3700's or IB3800's.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:27 PM
Tech Master

MiniDub/Weylin,

Just so you know, Profiles don't make things more or less efficient. The idea is similar, but that is not the case. Profiles in the GTX, or most brushed ESC only changes how it drives or feels, NOT the actual efficiency of anything. That's all determined by the ESC's Parts, and the Motor.

Brushless stuff does not have Limiting power, or current limiters or any of that, its linear raw horse-power, with lots of torque to back it up. We use the adjustments in the radio to get different feel, or change motors to different winds.

Usually when we see motors temps get higher we see less runtime. The baseline of 160 motor temp is for all conditions, so obviously, if your running where it's not HOT, a lower motor temp is ideal.

Feel free to email us anytime with direct questions.

Thanks
Charlie
Old 11-03-2005, 04:29 PM
Tech Master

Oh Yea, Weylin, your system leaves tomorrow, you should have it no later then wednesday or thursday.

Sorry for the hold up, busy week.....
Old 11-03-2005, 04:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Thanks for clearing it up Charlie, I was always told that a higher frequency profile on the ESC was more effecient. Guess not . Maybe all those cool adjustments on my M11 will come into use . Cool, I'll start getting that 1/12 ready .
Old 11-03-2005, 06:23 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by axle182
Has anyone experienced problems with making run time? Im running foams on carpet, and my GP3300 dont seem to be lasting long (first proper race this weekend). Is there some ways i can ensure i make run time? I think the gearing is fine, its not coming off badly hot, and its dam fast, but should i be turning off the drag brakes etc?

Thanks
How old are your batteries. I was using old GP3300 a couple weeks ago in practace. The batteries took about 2300 mah while charging and only discharged about 1900 ish. But it still ran all but one lap of a 5 min race.
If your runnig carpet you could change your car setup, i.e. if u have to much tow in the back the car's drive trane would be less efficient. Other than this i dont know. Maybe turn down the drag break some, breaking uses power.

Lee
Old 11-03-2005, 07:23 PM
Tech Legend

Hey Charlie !!!

Saw my first GTB 6.5 running in a truck at Trcr !!! ...

Looked sweet baby !!!!

Nice work from you and the folks at Novak again ....
Old 11-04-2005, 12:59 PM
Tech Master

what is a dead give away that the capacitor has gone out...

i just had my system replaced,,, something went wrong with one of the fets in the esc..

i installed the new one and immediately the esc was getting hot,, without me even giving it power.. the battery pack was freshly peaked and also freshly conditioned

i ran it a few times thinking that the fan just hasnt had a chance to kick in,, and then i noticed an aray of sparks coming from the area where all the wires are installed,, and since i was about 20feet away from the car by the time i reached it everything was ok,, car still ran,,,

took it to the track that evening and it ran like a champ,, only problem is that on initial throttle it wont go almost as if the esc is trying to build up enough voltage to turn the motor and then everything is fine,, i dont know if it has something to do with the transmitter settings since i was usin a different esc while the 5.5 was being replaced.. but this is my only problem im having... it isnt cogging or stuttering,, it just wont go on initial throttle... maybe like a half second or less

and running it on 4 cells doesnt seem t do anything for it,,, it runs so slow,, and the power slowly builds up... like 3/4 down the back straight it starts to pick up speed.. dont think it is my gearing,, 90/16 in a t4
Old 11-04-2005, 02:18 PM
Tech Champion

I had a similar problem with my first gtb system which Novak replaced and all is now running fine so far after one race meet on its belt. Just still trying to fine the sweet gearing spot on my T105 and Im now running as low as 87/15 ratio

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.